Friday 31st October 2014Login | Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

New Laptop

« Reply #32 on 05/09/2011, 16:51 »
Hi folks!

Had a bit of time to play, successfully got the boot order sorted so that the dvd is on top in anticipation that Mint 11 is available as a Live  CD. It seems that once I have got the extra partitons to suit the linux system it may be required to muck about with MBR and grub(2?) to be able to boot in to either OS as rquired. Am I right or is it set up automatically?

Got Avast/Malwarebyte & Spybot S&D all installed fairly easily which should make fairly bullet-proof.

Grin Grin

Still waiting to update laptop to Win7 plus Linux (Mint 16 Cinnamon) and might do much the same on XP machine (Mint 16 Mate) if I ever have time!
« Reply #33 on 05/09/2011, 17:15 »
Am I right or is it set up automatically?
When you install Mint it will detect the other OS's already there and install and configure grub automatically.
« Reply #34 on 05/09/2011, 17:31 »
 Thanks MisterW,

I had hoped that would be the case. I have now found out that Mint 11 does come as a Live dvd or a Live CD, with some omissions to keep it less than 700MB. Progress maintained!

Grin Grin

Still waiting to update laptop to Win7 plus Linux (Mint 16 Cinnamon) and might do much the same on XP machine (Mint 16 Mate) if I ever have time!
« Reply #35 on 06/09/2011, 12:26 »
Hi

I had an issue installing dual boot Windows Vista / Linux on a friends HP laptop.

Every time Vista was booted up the HP Windows utility "HP protect tools" overwrote the disk Master Boot Record (MBR) with a clean copy of the Windows only MBR.

This removed grub (the programme that provides the option to choose the OS to boot) and Windows Vista would auto start.

I assume that "HP protect tools" implements an MBR anti virus protection mechanism.

I had to remove "HP protect tools" from the Vista installation & replace grub on the MBR to achieve a reliable dual boot installation.

Richard
« Reply #36 on 06/09/2011, 12:36 »
I do not kow now if Win7 has this feature. Must have a look when I have time. I hope that the Mint 11 live dvd is available on disk and not an enormous download! Any ideas?
  • shutter
  • Ahaaagh, Jim lad... go fetch me an apple, ........
  • View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on 06/09/2011, 13:25 »
From my downloads folder

Linuxmint-11-gnome-dvd-32bit.iso    887,800kb

and don`t forget to also download  B43 installer package ( to get your wireless working! ! !)...
I got paid by the government to go on cruises...... I Joined the Royal Navy .... when we had one.... !
my website ...http://www.nemosphotography.co.uk        my blogsite.....http://nemosphotography.blogspot.com/        my RedBubble site ...http://lumixfz28.redbubble.com/     also      
.... http://www.imagekind.com/...69-41e8-bee9-372ac6a99d6a .... .... and for our American Readers....  http://www.americanframe....ch.aspx?keyword=LumixFZ28
« Reply #38 on 07/09/2011, 09:41 »
Thank Shutter I will check when I have a go. I am not into Wireless yet, although my router Belkin N is, all a bit in the future..
  • shutter
  • Ahaaagh, Jim lad... go fetch me an apple, ........
  • View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on 07/09/2011, 16:20 »
Download it and install it.... you never know when you might need it on a laptop.... (all Wyevale garden centers have FREE WIFI  so if you`re travelling you can get a cup of coffee and check your route, ferry time, etc... ). (and probably Mcdoolands too! ! ! )..
I got paid by the government to go on cruises...... I Joined the Royal Navy .... when we had one.... !
my website ...http://www.nemosphotography.co.uk        my blogsite.....http://nemosphotography.blogspot.com/        my RedBubble site ...http://lumixfz28.redbubble.com/     also      
.... http://www.imagekind.com/...69-41e8-bee9-372ac6a99d6a .... .... and for our American Readers....  http://www.americanframe....ch.aspx?keyword=LumixFZ28
« Reply #40 on 09/09/2011, 13:48 »
Sound advice, Thanks!

Progress not a lot further, other projects (like agriculture while weather holds!) taking up wakeing hours. Progress on the net is painfully slow today. MBS did not even start!!!  all connections pityfully slow.
Thought that might have been the bug that jojo reported!! But not so.

Cry
« Reply #41 on 12/09/2011, 19:41 »
I've done option 3 from the original post recently and had no problems.  Here's the steps:

1. Boot from the CD of the distro you want to use, e.g. Ubuntu or Mint, and make sure it works ok on your hardware.

2. Use a "system rescue cd" (sysresccd.org) to boot, and use gparted to shrink the main NTFS partition to half the size, leaving unpartitioned space.  (I used the sysresccd because I had it, perhaps the Ubuntu distro CD has gparted on it).

3. Boot again from Ubuntu (or Mint), and install in the free space, side-by-side with Windows

When you boot, you will get a grub menu allowing you to select various options.  I like to put Windows first, and then grub puts the Ubuntu options afterwards, and mark Ubuntu as default.  The command to do this are:

Change the order of OS listed:
   sudo mv /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober /etc/grub.d/05_os-prober

Change default selection:
   sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
      and set GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to 1
Then always
   sudo update-grub
Wenn es das neueste Technologie ist, wieso gibt’s ein “Alt“ Taste?
  • ejs
  • View Profile
« Reply #42 on 12/09/2011, 21:28 »
When I used gparted to resize the partitions on my laptop (before installing Fedora back in 2009), I hit the "now Windows won't boot" issue.

The usual issue I seem to get when doing any repartitioning is that the current program objects about where exactly the partitions start or how they are aligned, and if you ask gparted to resize a partition, it does a move+resize, and moves and resizes the partition to as close as it can get it to the requested size.

The Vista rescue CD then utterly failed to fix it automatically, either being unable to find a Windows installation or being unable to find any problem with it. I ended up fixing it in Linux with dd and a hex editor.
« Reply #43 on 17/09/2011, 12:56 »
Thanks KenA and others.

Glad that option 3 worked. I hope to have a go shortly. I would expect that the Mint 11 Live disks would have gparted on them. All the magazine loading steps seem to use gparted as a matter of course. Because my Win7, which has not a lot put in it apart fom AV etc., takes less than 100Gb, I am assuming that 250GB will be adequate which will leave the other 250Gb for Mint11. Seeing that Mint11 is available 32bit and 64bit variants, which is likely to be better from the hardware compatibility point of view? I gather that Win7 64bit, which is what I have, can cause compatibility problems although In fact I have not found any so far.

When I get to the specifying the Linux partitions, I anticipate giving / about 50 Gb, Swap 1 GB & 100Gb for Home, leaving elbow room for any later adjustments. My Ubuntu back-ups are all in ext3 files so I assume that there is no need to use ext4 for any of the new Linux partitions ( I am not a heavy user..no massive music or video files anywhere).

Views please???
  • ejs
  • View Profile
« Reply #44 on 17/09/2011, 14:51 »
Seeing that Mint11 is available 32bit and 64bit variants, which is likely to be better from the hardware compatibility point of view?

64bit is generally better. Regarding hardware compatibility, there will be minimal difference, since almost all drivers are built from source.

I anticipate giving / about 50 Gb, Swap 1 GB & 100Gb for Home

If you want to use suspend to disk, the swap partition should be at least as big as the amount of RAM, because that's where the RAM is saved to when you hibernate.

Fedora Live CDs allow you to install packages from the repository (temporarily, if you have enough RAM).
« Reply #45 on 17/09/2011, 15:34 »
Views please???

Perhaps resize the Windows partition(s) using Windows tools before installing Mint in the resulting free space (to ensure you don't come a cropper  with the gparted issue mentioned by ejs previously - I've no idea how common this problem is).
If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a Unix user to show you how it's done. (Scott Adams)
« Reply #46 on 17/09/2011, 16:05 »
I would also say that 50Gb is TOO much for /. I use 30Gb and even then only use ~10Gb of it, so unless you are planning on burning Blu-Ray disks drop the / to 20-30GB and increase you /home to the rest.

Using M$ tools on M$ partitions is always a good idea (most of the time  Grin). I would use the disk manager to reduce your C drive to the required size. then leave the rest UNALOCATED, and partition it up using the installer.

Mint 11 (and all previous versions) have gparted on the cd/dvd but don't  install it onto the HDD for some reason  Huh?
DRM is to rights management like DDT is to pest management.
Happy Linux Mint User. Check it out at www.linuxmint.com for a COMPLETELY FREE OS.
  • ejs
  • View Profile
« Reply #47 on 17/09/2011, 16:22 »
You should also consider if you want all your documents to be accessible while in Windows - the easiest way to do that is to keep them on an ntfs partition, they you don't really need a huge /home partition.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE