cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband and gaming problem

dave1240
Grafter

Broadband and gaming problem

I am currently trying out world of warcraft but get constantly high latency and super slow speeds which mean i dc alot all seems ok until i move or enter a group. I have been emailing the company who provide tech support and done all that they suggest. I have opened all the ports router and firewall, deleted the free anti virus you provide, bought a new computer with windows 7, updated all drivers,Replaced filters, replace thomson router v8 with netgear dgn1000 again drivers updated automatic, directly connected pc to router, run memtest, checked all temps in case.Deleted the files wow folder.
Today i have recieved yet another email from tech support saying its my ISP, I will post there comments here to help find out what  is wrong. I would also like to mention that the speeds are really inconsistent compared to when i lived at home. I use to be a kingston communtions customer becuase that is the only choice you have in hull and there speeds were alway 5.5mb or around but with plusnet its 4mb down down down to 0.7kbps it is never a stable solid 4mb its always here and there and everywhere. I hope some one has some idea what is wrong because im planning on buying yet another router dgn300 costing £110 and dont want to waste any more cash if its poor traffic shaping or wireing.
These are there comment after sending several tracert reports
Hello David,
Thanks for getting in touch.
I've looked over all the files you've sent me in the hopes of better understanding the source of the problem.
Your Tracert does show some unusually high numbers at the first few hops, especially the first.
Just in case, it's probably a good idea to contact your internet service provider to see if they can be of assistance.
This response after more tracert sent

Thank you for contacting us regarding the latency issues you have been experiencing. I can see from your tracer that you have a large jump when connecting to your Internet Service Provider. Please contact them to see if there is any issues. Also you have some package loss on one of the tracers when connecting to and moving through your provider.

Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
caryn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Broadband and gaming problem

I've been playing WoW with Plusnet for a long time and am not aware that any of the latency issues I've ever had in game, have been connected to Plusnet in any way. In all cases it has turned out to be Blizzard tinkering at fault and evry time I've queried it, they've always pointed the finger at the ISP first. Even though this may not be the case with you, I know how frustrating it can be when no-one will look into it properly for you Sad
Are you on a Plusnet package that prioritises gaming traffic?
zubel
Community Veteran

All plusnet packages prioritise gaming.
Can you post the line stats from your router please?  Also, a tracert would be handy.
Cheers
B.
caryn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought in the article linked, that the Value package slowed gaming traffic at peak times and that only with Extra plus the Pro Addon was gaming prioritised? Is that not the case?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
One more thought Dave, do you get the same latency on all servers? It might be worth trying a character in a different battle group to see if it's any different.
zubel
Community Veteran

Although gaming is rate limited on some products, the traffic itself is still prioritised over other traffic.