Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business user IP Space blacklisted at UCEProtect

mattewan
Grafter

Business user IP Space blacklisted at UCEProtect

Hey,
This is in regards to MY mail server, not plusnets, but it is an issue to do with spam on the plusnet ip space.
I have had a few email bounce back to me over the last few months, but it has been so few that I haven't really looked into it until now.
If you go to: http://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php and do a check, for example, on my ip 84.92.80.85 you will see that im *NOT* listed for sending spam, however, they have 3 levels, and level 3 is blacklisted because there are so many users on 84.92 which HAVE been blacklisted, and thus puts it over the threshold.
Can anything be done about this. As a business customer i dont want to use a smarthost, and I can't see plusnet block destination port 25 for residential customers.
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Business user IP Space blacklisted at UCEProtect

The normal configuration is to relay through the Plusnet mail servers. Your IP will probably be shown as being on a dynamic range of IPs (even though you have a fixed IP) and some mail servers will block you for that fact alone.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mattewan
Grafter

I have done a lot of search on many blacklists, especially blacklists which index dynamic ranges, and the IP is not blocked on any. Infact... my ip passes every blacklist I have tried.
The only two blacklists I have problems with is uceprotect in my above post because plusnet ip space is considered "spammy" and the following page:
http://www.apews.org/?page=test&C=40&E=168291&ip=plus.com
Which again comes down to plus.com considered to be a spammy domain.
If you want people to send via smarthost then why do you allow direct smtp outbound? Why not, at the very least, add port 25 outbound to the firewall rules you enable by default for customers.
I understand, that its practically impossible for you to control what users are sending outbound, but the default firewall you apply blocks inbound connections to the customers ip, so why not block smtp port 25 out as well? Most people that use other providers for mail should be set up to use the submission port anyway.
Docrob
Grafter

I think the real issue is that people are blocking mail because an IP space is listed at Level 3. It is meant  as a warning. However, it is up to the end user how they configure their server.
The other thing that worries me is that it looks like Plusnet is not being tough enough on spammers in allowing this to happen. Have you raised a Ticket on this? posting here may not do anything
Rob
Lurker
Grafter

Yep - we had to smarthost through PNs relay servers too.
The issue wasn't so much that there was any issue, but as Rob says, some people misuse or misunderstand the ratings, and block mail. (Our biggest issue was with MessageLabs customers IIRC)
mattewan
Grafter

Has something been done about this?
Because I'm looking at the same page now and the amount of ip addresses listed has gone down by hundreds over the last 100 hours.
Or is this more likely down to microsoft releasing a patch?