Wednesday 3rd September 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1]

20Mhz or 40Mhz

« on 01/09/2010, 15:08 »
My router has 2 settings 20Mhz or 20/40Mhz. The default setting is 20Mhz.

I bought a new D-link 2740R which had 20Mhz or 40Mhz and the default on that one was 40Mhz.

What's the difference (and don't say 20Mhz!!) and which mode should I choose.
« Reply #1 on 01/09/2010, 16:00 »
Hi julesandsand,

As far as I know these frequencies relate just to the wireless connection. 40 Mhz will give you a wider bandwidth which can be prone to more interference and 20 will obviously be less bandwidth but less prone to interference. This is the black and white answer and there are probably a lot more reasons whether you would use one or the other, depending on whether you were running various machines on your network. All that said, probably the best way to find out is to try each one and see what the performance is like.

Jojo Smiley
Joanne Pilson
Plusnet Billing Operations Analyst
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
Twitter :: Facebook :: Plusnet Assist
« Reply #2 on 01/09/2010, 16:14 »
Hi Jojo,

Thanks for that. I've got loads of things attached to my network. I don't think I'll mess about with it - had a bad week with routers!
« Reply #3 on 01/09/2010, 16:21 »
Don't blame you really but I've just googled '20mhz or 40mhz' and there's quite a bit of info out there if you get the time or the patience.

Jojo Smiley
Joanne Pilson
Plusnet Billing Operations Analyst
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
Twitter :: Facebook :: Plusnet Assist
« Reply #4 on 01/09/2010, 17:38 »
There certainly is, I found this useful,

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wik.../Wireless-N_Configuration
Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE