cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband

haletony

broadband

I intend to run IT classes in our village hall. Our existing phone line (with BT)is for outgoing emergency call only. will I be able to put a splitter in and dedicate it to a broadband provider ?? (Plusnet) I will also have to remove/lock up the router after every session will this cause a problem.any assistance would be most welcome.
3 REPLIES 3
grahamt
Rising Star

Re: broadband

Interesting questions. I'm a bit surprised no-one has answered you yet. It may be because your subject line is very general, or it may be because this 'other queries' board isn't looked at so often. I'd try asking again in the 'broadband and routers' forum and using a more explicit subject line.
I don't know whether you can have ADSL on a line used for emergency outgoing calls only, but my guess is that you can't. BT presumably charge a lower rental for such lines and there's probably something in the terms & conditions saying you can't do anything fancy with the line, which would include putting ADSL on it. I expect other Plusnet users will know for certain, though.
As for whether unplugging the router after each session will cause a problem: in theory it shouldn't (as long as you're not unplugging it several times a day), even though the usual advice is to leave the router on all the time, especially during the initial training period when the capacity of the line is being tested. I would expect that there won't be a problem if the line quality is good, but there could be a problem if the village hall is a long way from the telephone exchange and the speed/quality of the line is poor.
You won't know for sure until you try it, though. In any case you may have to persuade whoever runs the hall to fork out for a higher rental.
Graham
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: grahamt
I'd try asking again in the 'broadband and routers' forum and using a more explicit subject line.

Or better yet, ask a friendly moderator to move the thread Wink – cross-posting isn't allowed as per the forum rules.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi haletony,
you would have to have at least a basic residential phone package to be able to use ASDL on the line. As for switching off your router, when you say every session, what do you mean by that? Would that just be once a day or more often? Switching off your router more often can cause problems with the system (DLM) thinking you have an issue but a few disconnections here and there should not pose any problems.
Jojo Smiley