cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No, this is not good...Cannot connect to broadband.

Lolaan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

No, this is not good...Cannot connect to broadband.

I have tried to go through to the plusnet broadband set up that you get when you open Internet explorer, but it refuses my username and/or password.
I suppose the username is the one in the email (something @ plusdsl.net). I tried to write only the part before @ in the box as the rest is written on the side of the box, then I tried to write the lot just in case, and I used the same password that I had with my dialup, which is still working with a dialup modem when I want to get into my account, but it refuses to let me through when I use it for the router.
It says "you need to provide a valid username and password combination to continue" every time.
I do not have any other password than the one I've always used with my dialup account, I didn't have to chose any other password during the process of changing my account.
What's wrong?
Ethernet and internet light flashing on router.
36 REPLIES 36
artificer
Grafter

Re: No, this is not good...Cannot connect to broadband.

would you tell us which router you're using and its model number?  the knowledgeable peeps will need to know that to help you.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It sounds like you're going through the walled garden of one of our Thomson routers. You'll be much better off waiting for your telephone fault to be fixed and then you can let the router go through it's easy setup process where you shouldn't need to use the walled garden at all.
Lolaan
Rising Star

I dont understand. My line came back to life at 11 this morning, though the status of the fault on the BT website still indicates that it is not completed yet and will be today, but it depends on how long they take from the time they finish the repairs and the time they update the website.
My emergency dialup connection seems to work properly, so is my phone.
It sounds like you're going through the walled garden of one of our Thomson routers. You'll be much better off waiting for your telephone fault to be fixed and then you can let the router go through it's easy setup process where you shouldn't need to use the walled garden at all.

I just followed the leaflet that came with the router, and open internet explorer. It supposed to let me browse straight away or get me to the Thomson Getaway welcome screen where I can set up the router and where I suppose to enter username and password found on the sticker somewhere. But it never gone to the Thomson setup page, just the Plusnet setup page, and prevent me to log in.
What's a walled garden? And how the fault on the line would be responsible for the router to use a walled garden? (just trying to understand what's going on).
Should I leave the router on or turn it off?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The walled garden is the basic setup page that just asks you for your username and password. On this one, enter your username (Without the @plusdsl.net) in the username box and your password in the other box and allow 15 minutes. You can also point your browser to 192.168.1.254 and follow the full setup, but this is slightly more complicated.
The line fault may have caused problems because the walled garden doesn't directly program your router, it programs our servers to match your router to your account. Our servers then program your router with the correct account username and password so that you can connect. If you try to go through this process when there's a fault on your line, it won't work at all.
Lolaan
Rising Star

The walled garden is the basic setup page that just asks you for your username and password. On this one, enter your username (Without the @plusdsl.net) in the username box and your password in the other box and allow 15 minutes.

I suppose I need to click "GO" after this.
When I do, it still say "you need to provide a valid username and password combination to continue".
I suppose I need to wait for the BT fault progress to say that the repair was completed before looking at other options if it still doing the same thing after the line is repaired. Which might lead to tomorrow.
Should I turn off the router or leave it on in the meantime?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Without knowing exactly what's going wrong I'd recommend that you follow the standard setup, detailed in section 5 of your setup guide. Once complete, leave the router powered up and plugged in and you should see the 'broadband' light go green first, then the internet light. This may happen before your telephone fault is closed off.
Lolaan
Rising Star

EUREKA!
Got it now. That's what I needed to do all along.  Grin
Thanks Ben, I am a happy bunny now.  
Will have to try the wireless with my netbook next..... tomorrow.
What will be the passwords you need to connect wirelessly?
When I finish browsing, do I turn the router off or do I leave it on?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

From the setting up guide here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/t585v7new.shtml the default wireless password is printed on the base of the router.
You'll be asked to enter the wireless security key (or passphrase). Use the WPA-PSK key shown on the bottom of the router. It's 10 characters long and the letters are CAPITALISED

Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lolaan
Rising Star

Thanks MisterW, I will try what you suggest.
Do I turn the router off when I finish or do I leave it on?
Tried to connect wirelessly with my samsung NC10. Plusnetwireless network shows in the list, and I typed in the wireless key. It worked and was connected to the internet for 30 seconds, after that it disconnected and I could not connect again.
On my ethernet connected computer, a window appeared and stated that there was an IP address conflict with another system on the network. What does that mean? Is that why I cannot connect wirelessly to the internet again? How do I go about connecting again?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Do I turn the router off when I finish or do I leave it on?

Sorry I missed that question. The general consensus is that its probably best to leave the router on, particularly during the first 10 days when the line is 'training' for the best speed. You certainly shouldn't keep switching it on & off, that can sometimes cause a drop in speed. If you are unhappy about leaving it powered on overnight then by all means, but preferably not during the first 10 days, turn it off when you've finished browsing for the day and then turn it on again in the morning. Turn it off, of course, if you are going on holiday. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lolaan
Rising Star

Thanks, I will leave it on for now then.
Lolaan
Rising Star

Cannot connect wirelessly.....well, not really.

I am trying to use my Samsung NC10 to connect wirelessly to the Thomson. Yesterday night it worked for 30 seconds before it disconnected, this morning maybe 1m30secs. Then it disconnects and it's a job to reconnect to it, and most of the time it doesn't. Sometimes the Plusnet wireless network don't show neither.
The Thomson is at about 1.5m from my netbook when I try.
What could interfere with the wireless connection? Is it the position of the wireless in the flat? Are they any interferences which could come from the other flats above and below me?
If it's that, I'll also have to use an ethernet cable with my netbook, and turn the wireless off of the router. I don't mind, it's just a shame that I have wireless facilities but cannot use it.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Re: Cannot connect wirelessly.....well, not really.

There's been a few people reporting issues with wireless on new TG585 routers recently.
See the thread here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,87828.0.html.
I believe its still waiting on Ben getting one back for testing. However that thread seems to suggest that a firmware upgrade might help.

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If your computer is issuing an IP address conflict then you probably have static IP's assigned to devices in your house which are on the network. Please make sure that your IP settings are set as shown in the picture attached.