cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet will give your personal details to ACS Law with not informing you!!

julesandsand
Grafter

Re: Plusnet will give your personal details to ACS Law with not informing you!!

What, in your opinion, is the main issue they should be tackling?
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: 4C
As I feared - they're not tackling the main issue.
Indeed, and unless the main issue of data accuracy is tackled then Plusnet will continue to allow their cusomters to bullied for monies when there is high chance that not only are they not guilty, but that NO ONE associated with them is guilty either.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Aren't the security grounds (in part) that Plusnet/BT can't send data via a secure channel?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: julesandsand
The accuracy of the data being used to persue people.  There many reasons to doubt the validity of the data being used, not least now that weve seen some of the raw data (kindly released [sic] into the public domain by ACS:Law) it's quite litterally full of holes, around 25% of all IP addresses they claim were downloading data the ISP's claim were not in use by ANYONE at that time.  Which just makes you wonder about the other 75% how many of those have been mis-identified?  But then you have to also realease, the person who is guilty of breaking the law is the one that actually downloaded whatever it is, not the bill payer.  And then there is the question about people using others wireless networks without the owner being aware, or people deliberately using IP addresses other than the one assigned to them by the ISP etc etc i.e. there are MANY reasons to doubt that the lists of IP addresses has more than say a 30% chance of identifying the guilty party, yet nasty threatening letters are sent to the other 70% just the same.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: A
Aren't the security grounds (in part) that Plusnet/BT can't send data via a secure channel?
Not sure if your being serious or not, but if you are, no, they are not, that would be for BT/Plusnet to sort out.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I reckon If you have unknowingly been hacked through your wifi for example that Its still the bill payer to blame as they should have some security knowledge or best to stay away from the web If your not security aware!!
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Nope, any more than you would be liable for a crime committed in your car if it was stolen, the guilty party is the one committed the crime, not the person that happened to pay the bill.  But even so, there is no such thing as a secure wifi, all wifi protocols have been broken and you can download programs that will allow you (or anyone) to compromise any wireless network.
jim:quote
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yes I used wifi hacking as an EX, And what I think the law may say In years to come, Knowing this country!
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: 4C
As I feared - they're not tackling the main issue.

Quote from: julesandsand

Exactly as fourfourdevon said.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Fletch
Grafter

All;
I was at the adjournment hearing today and I'd like to thank the team for working the weekend in pulling this together.   However, we have gone further than the twitter update provides.  To clarify:
The incident involving the ACS Law data leak has further damaged people’s confidence in the current process.  We’re pleased that the court has agreed to an adjournment so that our concerns can be examined by the court, this will then act as a precedent/test case for the future.
We want to ensure broadband subscribers are adequately protected so that rights holders can pursue their claims for copyright infringement without causing unnecessary worry to innocent people. We have not simply consented to these orders in the past, we have asked for stricter terms as public concern has risen. The data leak with ACS Law prompted us to take further action today.
We are also seeking a moratorium on outstanding applications and orders.
Thanks,
Fletch
Steve
Seasoned Pro

We are also seeking a moratorium on outstanding applications and orders. How confident are Plusnet In being granted this?
watching
Grafter

Quote from: Fletch
I was at the adjournment hearing today
<snip>
Fletch

Good.
Now we know you can do the right thing when it matters.
Now that we know you can - we don't expect any less in the future.
If you ever mess up again, like you have done until now on this issue, you will never be allowed to forget it. You get one chance - and you've already used it.
You need to sustain this improvement.
Good man.  Wink
fourfourdevon
Grafter

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: Fletch
I was at the adjournment hearing today...
On about my 3rd reading of your message Fletch, I seemed to read the bit I quote for the first time Smiley thanks for being there personally.  Would you perhaps be able to give us a laymens report on what happened? i.e. who said what?  The hearing seemed to take slightly less than 2 hours, so I presume some arguments were presented.  I don't ask that you comment on what happened, merely report.
Toolbox
Grafter

Thanks Fletch,
If only you had done that 6 months ago we would all be a lot happier.