Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC code used and previous supplier didn't diconnect - Info needed please

blinky
Grafter

MAC code used and previous supplier didn't diconnect - Info needed please

Hi all,
Wondering if someone could help me please.  I moved across from Sky Broadband to Plus.net back in October, I got my MAC code from Sky and supplied Plus.net with it and the transfer went fine.  The problem I have is that Sky didn't cancel my subscription with themselves and charged me for 4 months of broadband I wasn't using.
I have emailed Sky and informed them that I wasn't with them and told them that Plus.net used the MAC code for the migration and supplied them with the order number Plus.net raised.  I have just recieved another email back saying that Plus.net haven't used the MAC code and that they will not refund the 4 months costs (£68).
Has anyone else come across this sort of problem before and have you managed to resolve the issue as I would like the money back.
Cheers in advance
Blinky
4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: MAC code used and previous supplier didn't diconnect - Info needed please

Unfortunately these forums recount a number of similar instances to yours featuring some of the larger independent broadband suppliers.
Your particular forum questions really need a response from Plusnet staff (Comms Team) who have access to your account information. Since it's weekend the Comms Team are unlikely to be here until Monday.
However my understanding is that the asset (circuit) which provides your broadband service will have been owned by Plusnet since they took over the service. The Comms Team can confirm applicable dates. Sky have access to BT's systems which show the order transferring the asset away from them, and elsewhere the date when they ceased to own that asset. But don't be surprised if they deny having access to that information. If Sky don't own the asset they can't (or shouldn't) be supplying broadband using it.
To get Sky to refund your money you might have to provide a copy of the invoice showing your first subscription payment to Plusnet which you can find in the Member Centre (link).
David
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
We couldn't have moved your service if we didn't have a MAC (this is only technically possible to do if you're an LLU supplier, which we aren't).
We've seen more and more of these issues recently, what I'd recommend is sending Sky your invoice from us, the order reference we supplied, and the date of transfer. Ask them to provide access logs from after that date if they're still adamant you were a customer (they won't be able to).
If that doesn't work, ask them to provide a deadlock letter and take it to arbitration. The detail is here.
WildRose52
Grafter

Just a thought, why didnt you just put a STOP on your payment with Sky?
That`s how I did with BT.
I think I learned a lesson from my experience on AOL.
I came out of work on health grounds several years ago, and was with AOL at the time.
When that happened, and like alot of ppl, I ran into a few problems paying my `cards`
So I had no way of paying AOL, whilst they didnt accept cash.
When I was forced to move I then went with BT, but until BT set it up, I didnt want to
lose my internet, so I asked a family member could I give them the cash and they would
give their card number to AOL and make just ONE payment for me for that one month.
They agreed.
Little did we know what problems would ensue.
AOL continued to take payments from their card for 3 months.
In the end that person had to change THEIR account number in order to escape AOL.
I, in contrast, then found myself paying both for AOL and BT  whilst of course it was my
responsibility to refund the money that my family member had incurred.
I rather get the impression that once an ISP gets hold of a persons details they will try to
hang on to them lol.
That is why, this time, I immediately cancelled my D/debit with BT.
They can send me a bill for anything which I owe, and I shall pay them.
In fact, once I cancelled my D/Debit and PlusNet informed them I was moving, BT send me
a Bill for £100  (supposedly for one month according to the dates printed on it)
When I confronted them about it, they said :  `any over-payment will be reimbursed to you`
Funny ha ha.......  I havent even got that sort of money to pay for just one month.
Even my D/D for a month was only HALF that amount -  so in effect even though they had
been advised I was moving to PlusNet they were trying to grab TWO months in advance.
Nice try.....  but they didnt get it.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

on that front, be careful of PN, they claim on the Web site that they abide by the Banking code for DD of wrong money taking, but have and will cut off your line if you dare to instruct the bank that the payment was incorrect.  The matter is apparently in the hands of the newish CEO