Friday 25th July 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1] 2

Free laptops for the needy

• poppy
« on 11/01/2010, 14:29 »
Click here for free laptops
And if you are really lucky, get free broadband too!
Some happy folks will soon have extra spare cash methinks!
« Reply #1 on 11/01/2010, 15:35 »
poppy, your link goes to here:

http://tinyurl.com/previe....php?num=yk9pjcg&add=

maybe the offer is a con?
A satisfied plusnet customer since May 2005
Using PCLinuxOS - the radically simple distro-hopper-stopper
  • dvorak
  • Forum Moderator
  • Meh.
  • View Profile
« Reply #2 on 11/01/2010, 15:40 »
Goes to Sky news for me?

Still haven't seen the definition of 'needy' yet.
Forum Moderator and Customer

PUG IRC - http://usertools.plus.net/irc/ - usertools.plus.net:6667, Channel #Usertools.
  • poppy
« Reply #3 on 11/01/2010, 16:13 »
Good point Adiewoo - and yes, link goes to Sky News for me too.
However, here is another effort:
http://news.sky.com/skyne...d_For_Low_Income_Families
« Reply #4 on 11/01/2010, 16:28 »
I wonder how many will really get used for the purpose intended.  Could think of better ways to spend 300k at this time.
Wake Up and Smell the Coffee!
  • Strat
  • Forum Moderator
  • View Profile
« Reply #5 on 11/01/2010, 16:32 »
What was that free computers scheme a few years ago that was stopped when it was discovered that 'agents'  were signing up phantom customers and pocketing the money.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
  • poppy
« Reply #6 on 11/01/2010, 16:58 »
It's an absolute farce - you couldn't make it up. No wonder the taxpayers are hopping mad.
While not wishing to stereotype (and not everyone is like this), but having worked for many years with 'needy' families I reckon they will end up
a) wrecked within a day or two of receipt or
b) sold off to fund drug/booze/ciggie habits.
There used to be a saying about only appreciating what you have worked for and it probably applies here. 
  • dvorak
  • Forum Moderator
  • Meh.
  • View Profile
« Reply #7 on 11/01/2010, 17:20 »
There is also a chance that these 'needy' people probably have nicer kit than we do anyway...

PUG IRC - http://usertools.plus.net/irc/ - usertools.plus.net:6667, Channel #Usertools.
« Reply #8 on 11/01/2010, 18:43 »
Another hair-brain scheme from this lunatic government trying to buy votes Angry
Wake Up and Smell the Coffee!
« Reply #9 on 11/01/2010, 20:41 »
writing of "FREE"

does anyone freecycle

Don't you consider some folk on freecycle are pushing their luck with the WANTED requests

one today

wanted landrover

hi im looking for a discovery ,defender or any series landrover, can collect
« Reply #10 on 11/01/2010, 20:57 »
Yes, use Freecycle.
The "I want a 32-inch plasma" requests are maybe a bit cheeky (though you be amazed what people do chuck out), but the wanteds have a very useful role. I've regularly seen a "wanted" and thought, right, just the opprtunity to finally get rid of that whatever that I've been hanging on to just in case!
Also, I've used wanteds to get things (the latest was a lightweight folding wheelchair on loan) to help others.

« Last Edit: 11/01/2010, 20:58 by HPsauce »

« Reply #11 on 11/01/2010, 22:30 »
Let me see if I've got this right.  Everyone with a phone line is going to have to pay DSL "Tax" to pay for rural areas to get DSL.  Now Brown wants to give away free broadband to 270,000 low income families?  Will these low income families also have to pay the 50p tax or will that be thrown in too?  Who's going to pay for the software on these laptops?  Whats Mandy going to do when these laptops are used for P2P to download the movies the low income families missed on Sky HD and forgot to Sky+ it because they were busy playing on their 360's?  Disconnect them from their DSL?

What about the kids who's parents are just above low income, who can't afford even a 2nd hand laptop, will their kids be expected to fall behind because they are just not poor enough?  Of course, the EU will stick its nose in "yeah, you can't really give them PC's with Microsoft Windows on it as the only choice, there has to be competition.  You have to offer them a PC with Windows, a PC with Linux and a Mac with OSX on it, other wise it could be an abuse of a monopoly there".

I'm all for giving kids a boost in technology, letting them learn about them and stuff, but I see no reason why kids need DSL or a laptop for their school work, libraries have computers kids can use, schools have computers kids can use.

However, I do forsee the future and an article in The Sun:

Government hands over kids to net predators.

The laptop scheme where the government gives a laptop and free broadband to children came under fire today.  Shazza McChav (25) with her daughter Britney (12) have slammed the scheme, Shazza commented "yeah, my daughter Britney had the laptop in her room and connected to the internet and men would talk to her over facespace, the government should have made it so kids couldn't access websites that are, you know, not nice".  Jeremy Clarkson from the Ministry of Common Sense had this to say "...".
« Reply #12 on 12/01/2010, 08:06 »
I'm an IT Manager, and I had no access to a computer at home (I've only ever had three computers of my own - the first was a gift from my younger brother. The second was a notebook I bought, the third a notebook my wife bought.)

My network admin has had computers at school, and at home, but yet the only things he seems to know about are games - so from a perspective of 'getting on in life' I don't believe he's any better off than I was when I started out.

In fact I might say he's worse off, he has the annoying habit of not reading screen prompts, and then wondering why things don't work - he also has no concept of how a computer works, much like many modern drivers don't have the first clue about what is going on under the bonnet (I'm no mechanic, but I understand the principles of what is happening in each type of internal combustion engine - including Wankels and Two-Strokes.)
OK - the out-of-sync-guy-falling-on-floor-thingy has gone now.

I shall think of something else to fill this void with at some stage.
  • dvorak
  • Forum Moderator
  • Meh.
  • View Profile
« Reply #13 on 12/01/2010, 08:23 »
Indeed, computers are just like any other commodity today you buy it plug it in and it works. The vast majority of users don't know and don't care how they work they just want them to (Linux bunch take now Tongue).
I'm not suggesting that is a bad thing, but at least 90% of the time will be used for leisure..

Still what would we do of an evening if all our friends and relatives suddenly got interested in how they worked and learned to sort them out on their own...

@dgwebb sooo true.

« Reply #14 on 12/01/2010, 10:32 »
This report has more details. Plusnet gets a mention but yet again reported as having 12-month contracts. "12 months - If you decide to end your contract early, you will have to pay for the rest of the contact in one lump sum, as well as a 40 cancellation charge". Plusnet is not getting the message across about monthly contracts.

Free laptop and free broadband for a year. So after the pupil has gained the benefit of broadband take it away after 12 months because the parents can't afford it?
http://www.broadbandchoic...come-families-120110.html

I notice that the Sky report quotes the Prime Minister as saying that they are to enable parents to keep track of pupils' progress. No mention of use by the pupils at all but that may be Sky's fault.

As others have pointed out this will just increase the poverty trap whereby people on low income will stand to lose more than they gain if they earn more.

See also: http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page22100 and http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/pn...layPN.cgi?pn_id=2010_0011

« Last Edit: 12/01/2010, 10:50 by alanf »

• poppy
« Reply #15 on 12/01/2010, 10:33 »
Well, this is a first - a consensus of opinion in the PN ChitChat forum!
I don't really know if children need internet access to get on in life but I do know that our local council provide perfectly good computers for anyone to use at the local library - all free.
A while ago they also did a free computer scheme for the elderly which involved recycling donated computers.
Makes you think doesn't it? The elderly are OK with the old stuff and probably look after it very well whereas the young folk are going to be offered brand new laptops.
It should be the other way round (if at all) as IMO desktops are far more robust and child-proof.
As usual, it is probably the folk on benefits that will gain and the ones who work, albeit on low incomes, will lose out.   
Pages: [1] 2
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE