My line stats...
noise margin downstream: 19 db
output power upstream: 18 db
attenuation downstream: 40 db

noise margin upstream: 22 db
output power downstream: 12 db
attenuation upstream: 27 db

My story...
I moved from legacy product Premier to Plusnet Pro recently. The product change was "completed" on December 9th
Also I note that plusnet have changed my connection from DSLMax, to "WBC MAX24 mb/s (ADSL2+ Annex A) as part of of Account Change process"  -  on 4th dec.
From what I see on samknows and Kitz website my exchange is due for a switchover to 21CN WBC on 3/3/10. But plusnet tell me its already been done. I don't know if that is relevant. (exchange WNWX)
I am currently syncing at 2489Mb/s. Today as I reboot router I get the same sync speed every time (done this three times)
With my downstream noise margin at 19dbB, this low sync speed does not make sense to me. BT have my IP profile at 2000kb (which I guess is in line with my sync)
Previously I have always had sync speeds of 5000kb to 6000 kb and a reliable connection. My average download speeds have been always been around 4Mb or more. I have Half the speed I do normally.
Something feels very wrong here. I called tech support and they just tell me to to do the usual "Watch things for three days and do some BT speed tests"
I'm pretty confident my wiring is good - no extensions whatsoever, cat5e cable linking router to master socket which has a filtered face plate.
Nothing has changed my end. The only thing that has changed is my "broadband product" and an update to ADSL2+
I'm using a ZyXel p-660HW T1 router. And a Mac computer.
My first thoughts is that my bras IP profile has got stuck.
Waddyathink?
8 REPLIES 8
sinewave
Grafter

Re: noise margin 19dB slow sync- half what I had

I suspect my post needs to be in the ADSL2+ forum.
Feel free to move it Mr Mod.
Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You are correct - moved  Grin
sinewave
Grafter

Thanks Oldjim
For the record I am still syncing at 2489kb/s no matter what I do. BT speed test says I am profiled at 2000kb/s and the last test showed a speed of 1570.
Before I was switched over to ADSL2 from ADSLmax I was always syncing between 5000 and 6000kb/s.
Something is wrong.

What galls me is that when I reported this on phone tech support I asked the tech if sync speed can somehow get stuck - in the way that ADSLmax profiles could get stuck. "No" he said. He reassured me that ADSL2 was different. In fact he did nothing for me at all in retrospect other than to suggest I watch my connection for three days and to report back if it hadn't improved.
Now I read this forum and there are loads of folk having problems with ADSL2 that are similar to mine.
Anyway... I'm in danger of ranting now!
I would appreciate advice on my best course of action. I have a ticket open so perhaps I should just be patient and hope it gets answered soon.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It sounds like banding strikes again  Crazy
HaydnExport
Grafter

have you been resyncing a lot recently?  I did a lot a couple of weeks ago, and it pushed my snr up and making it impossible to sync at a higher speed.  I have not fiddled much with mine in the past couple of weeks and it's gone from syncing at 2.8mb to 4.8 mb.
sinewave
Grafter

Nope - I've not really noticed any difference in sync patterns, but then I wasn't looking for anything unusual - I had no idea Plusnet had switched me over to ADSL2 (or were going to for that matter). It was only until I noticed my slower-than-normal download speed that I checked my router stats. I've rebooted the router a few times (4 or 5?) since then but it always syncs at exactly 2489.
sinewave
Grafter

Something has changed though there is no update to my open ticket.
This lunchtime I notice I can't connect to the internet but router allows me to login to see synching at about 4800. I note the system status has changed from showing "ADSL2" to now show "ADSL2PLUS". I reboot router (switch off/on) which brings back internet connectivity. sync speed same at about 4800. Its still a little low compared to what I normally had on adslmax but its an improvement. My download speed has not improved though. PN speed test came out at about 1500 BT speed test said....
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1736 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4878 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 9.74:27.48:62.79 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

My router stats now show:
Upstream Speed: 444 kbps
Downstream Speed: 4878 kbps
noise margin downstream: 14 db
output power upstream: 19 db
attenuation downstream: 40 db
noise margin upstream: 22 db
output power downstream: 12 db
attenuation upstream: 27 db

With such a high noise margin I'm guessing I should be seeing a much higher sync speed. (?)
I may call PN tech support as I don't know what I am supposed to do or what is going on, with no ticket update since dec 24th (yeah I know everyone is  hungover at this time of year!).
suggestions/advice welcome
Mand
Grafter

If your sync speed remains then your IP profile will increase. I'd expect the sync speed to increase further too (assuming your line is stable).