Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching Package

SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

Switching Package

Hi all,
Sorry if this is in the wrong place (I'm fairly new to the forums), maybe a Mod' could move it to the best place, thanks.
I'm currently on one of the old packages (Broadband Premier Option 1) and I'm thinking of changing to one of the newer packages. Hoping I can get some advice.
First lets consider Pro.
No speed limits and a 20GB monthly allowance.
Currently I get some speed limits but nothing that I've noticed affect me so far. I get a 20GB allowance, but it is broken down so that after 13GB the speed is restricted to 2MB (I think) and then again at 17GB. On the plus side, Off-Peak is Midnight -> 4pm.
Now Premium.
80GB allowance. For me this would effectively eliminate Peak and Off peak as I would use this much (2Mb connection). However there does seem to be some speed limiting. Now the sort of things I'm likely going to want to do during the limited times are things like Online gaming, iPlayer and the like, Downloads (such as driver from Nvidia, Open Office, game patches) and Game and updates from Steam. I believe gaming should be fine, how are the other things affected by Premiums throttling?
Also, I'm on a rolling contract at the minute, if I changed package, how long would it take for the new package to come into effect?
So what are people's thoughts and experiences? Which one would be best for me or should I stick with what i have?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
6 REPLIES 6
Mand
Grafter

Re: Switching Package

Hi there,
The management on Premium (80GB) is equivalent or better than Premier.
Pro has no management at all, but a smaller limit (remember midnight to 8am is not counted though so you could schedule some larger downloads for then).
Either change would be scheduled for your next billing date, unless you ask us here to do it immediately. Wink
There's no change to your contract for either change.
Another advantage if your exchange is enabled is that both Premium and Pro give you ADSL2+ (upto 20MB speeds).
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure you can really say
Premium http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#premiumSpeeds
is "equivalent or better than"
Premier http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier1.shtml
I think I've answered my own question about iPlayer and gaming with these links. But it looks like everything else might suffer under Premium?
How would I go about requesting a change immediately? Do I order as normal and then ask (who? where?) or do I request it differently?
When you say no change to my contract, do you mean that I wouldn't be tied in to a new 12/18 month contract?
ADSL2+ on my exchange! I do like it when someone makes me laugh! I don't think BT will ever enable ADSL2+ on our exchange Sad
Mand
Grafter

In terms of real time experience Premium and Premier should be about equal for things like P2P/Usenet etc.
Gaming, browsing and streaming are prioritised on both products, so that will be the same.
You can order as normal and then ask us here to do it immediately, or just post here and we'll sort it for you.
You won't be tied into any new contract.
I sympathise with the ADSL2+ situation, my exchange is unlikely to get it anytime in the next few years either. Sad
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

Am I reading this http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#premiumSpeeds right in that anything I download, such as drivers or games and game patches between the hours of 6pm & 10pm (i.e. when I'm most likely to be using my computer) will be restricted to 256Kb (or 32KB/s)?
Unless covered under 'Download servers' which I don't think Steam is. Not sure about drivers or game patches, guess they could be.
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

If I switch to Premium and find that the speed restriction do affect me, how long would i then have to wait before I could switch to Pro?
Also, I understand you can add extra download allowance, how much is for Pro and what size 'chunks' do I have to buy extra allowance in?
Most of the time I probably wouldn't use 20GB, but occasionally Steam do some good offers and that can lead to a large download or two which would probably take me over the 20GB limit. I realise I could do it in Off-Peak time, and I'd do that, but I might also want to download during peak time if I'm not using the internet for anything else or if it's lots of individual games that total to quite a lot. In that case I might download a few to play sooner and do others overnight. So at this point being able to go above 20GB would be useful.
Also, does anyone know if there's a way to queue downloads in Steam so that you get some game downloaded completely instead of all of the game at around 50%?
Cheers.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I don't use Steam so can't advise re queuing things, but I can answer the rest. Smiley
Standard product change rules only allow changes every 30 days, but if you do struggle with the speeds you can give us a shout and we can override this.
Extra allowance is added at £2 for 2GB, and you can set a price limit to budget your bill.