cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless/dsl/internet signal knocking off

scipio1st
Grafter

wireless/dsl/internet signal knocking off

This one baffles me. I was using your BT router for sometime until it just would not connect again, but would still be powered on.
So I chucked it and used my older netgear wireless, and this too started with the same symptoms constantly knocking off.
I felt it was the router itself because not just the dsl light and internet light was off, but the wireless light was off too. So I chucked that and bought a brand new one with all the jazz, and this morning this too went the same way!
I am wary of paying for even more things. Do you think it is the adsl cable? I don't want to buy it and find the damn thing knocks off still.
I do use a homeplug and the wireless version as well, but this should not have any affect on the router.
Any thoughts?
1 REPLY 1
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: wireless/dsl/internet signal knocking off

This is not a broadband speed problem but I am not sure, at this stage, what it actually is so I won't move this post again.
From your description I assume that the power light on the router remained on when the other lights went out.
I don't understand what would cause the wireless light to go out as that should be independent of the state of the internet connection.
A few questions.
When this happens can you contact the router via a wired connection or doesn't that work either.
When you say constantly knocking off would it be correct to say that you are getting constant or frequent disconnects from the internet
Have you tried using the test socket behind the master socket as per this picture
When the router is connected what are the stats attenuation, noise margin and speeds.
What does this link say https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed