cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I leave my router on?

Seleucus

Should I leave my router on?

Advice please. New to broadband.  Going through forums gradually to see what I can learn.  I notice that you all seem to leave your router on all night.  I automatically switch mine off (' don't leave equipment on standby' etc) when not on internet.  Is this not OK?
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: Free usage problem

Hi there Smiley
Welcome to our forums.  There's really no harm on leaving your hardware turned off overnight.  Loads of people who, like yourself, are concerned about electric usage and so on.
I really wouldn't worry about it.
Not applicable

Re: Should I leave my router on?

I have always left mine on 24/7 and have had very few problems with my connection.However, when we have had discussions about this before there are lots of people who switch off overnight. The main thing is not to constantly switch it on and off - once a day, as James said, seems to be the norm.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What sort of time do you generally turn it on? During the evening ADSL connections tend not to be as good and if you continually turn on during the evening it is just possible that you may be getting slower speeds than you might.
If you've been turning off each night and are happy with your speeds - carry on!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
UberMensch
Grafter

My Netgear DG834 (wired) stays on for months at a time and has done so for about 3 years now, I'm not sure how much power it uses though.
It's a sturdy little thing Wink