cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband usage - new user

est

Broadband usage - new user

Hi, I'm a new (and novice!) user of broadband. Have just signed up with PlusNet and am trying to figure out how I'm managing to achieve my usage figures. Apparently on Sun, when I was online for about 8 hrs, I used around 150MB. But all I was doing was general surfing (Xmas shopping etc!). How could I have used this much? I thought I'd have to specifically download a file in order to increase the count.
I'm using wireless, if that makes a difference. It's WPA-PSK security enabled.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable

Re: Broadband usage - new user

Welcome to the forum and the world of broadband. It is good that you are checking your usage regularly. I would say that although 150MB sounds a lot it is quite easy to clock up that amount when you are dodging about from site to site checking things out, especially over a period of 8 hours. It doesn't sound out of the way to me bearing in mind your activities. There are one or two little things that can reduce it slightly e.g. if using Firefox install Adblock Plus to block the animations and advertisements, use tabbed browsing so that you can go back to previous pages without re-loading. Sure that there might be more.
As you are new to BB (possibly using it more at first) and it is an exceptional time of year for shopping etc you can add an extra gigabyte for £1.25 if you are afraid of going over your allowance. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Broadband is a measure of the up and down traffic, e- mails, browsing, just looking.  150 Mb is about normal for that no of hours,  Down loads can be 400 - 500 Mb each.
AVG if you are using it also does a scan of all the files you might use, not just the ones you do,, You can  (And Should) turn that feature off
StickyMick
Grafter

That's a question I get asked a lot.
You don't have to specifically download anything, i.e click on a download link. Every time you connect to a web page you're downloading content.
Ever wondered what the "Temporary Internet Files" and "History" folders are for? When you connect to a web page, Internet Explorer checks this folder first, to see if you've been to that page before. If you have, then it pulls the data from those folders into your browser and then just downloads any changes that have happened since you were last there. It saves bandwidth and your usage.
If you clear the "Temporary Internet Files" folder each time you sign off the web then that can increase your usage because IE has to download the whole page again.
Not applicable

Wonder if est has gone on holiday?
Roll_eyes
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Hasn't been active since about 10 mins after the question was posted http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=9792
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
StickyMick
Grafter

I didn't think of looking at the date before replying Tongue