Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Choose to Refuse" instructions?

IanM
Grafter

"Choose to Refuse" instructions?

Hi,
Following some ongoing problems with cold callers PlusNet have activated the "Choose to Refuse" service on our line. However I can't find any instructions on how to use it.
Is there a help page somewhere that I've overlooked? I'd like to block one of these annoying automated messages that keeps telling me I've won a competition.
Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17
paulby
Grafter

Re: "Choose to Refuse" instructions?

Choose to Refuse Instructions are in this brochure issued by BT.
To bar the last call you answered
Dial 14258, Choose To Refuse will ask you to press ** to
confirm that you want to bar calls from that number. The number
you’ve barred will no longer be able to get through.
To bar other numbers at any time
Adding a number to your list
• Make sure you include the area STD code before UK numbers,
press # at the end of the number to tell Choose To Refuse that it
is the end of the number.
IanM
Grafter

Thanks very much, that's exactly what I was after  Smiley
Though naturally the automated competition message is from an international location & can't be barred, oh well  Roll_eyes
artmo
Aspiring Champion

That's a useful facility.  I don't think I have that from my phone call supplier.  I'll have to look into Plusnet's service a little closer.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

This is not a service that Plusnet advertise. Is this another Mand special?
Mand
Grafter

Hi,
It's not a service we advertise simply because we haven't automated it yet. At the moment we offer it to customers who suffer from nuisance calls, but anyone who has Home Phone can request it if they're willing to pay the wholesale cost of £6 per quarter. Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is the BT offering free of charge (with the exception of a few highlighted features)?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

madjbright
Grafter

The BT offering is free for a limited period (30 days if I remember rightly) to solve a problem with persistent rogue callers, but is chargeable if you want to continue after that time. We had a problem with a fax machine that was calling us every 2 hours and the free period was enough to solve the problem until the fax reached its retry time out.
IanM
Grafter

I'd highly recommend anyone having problems with cold callers actually use TPS service - and by that I mean follow up with complaints to them about every problem call you get.
I reported numerous nuisance calls & followed it up with the ICO (information commissioners office) They wrote to me this week saying that the particularly problematic company has agreed that they must stop calling - I think that ultimately the ICO can get a court order forcing a company to adopt procedures that guarantee their compliance in respecting the TPS 'do not call' list
I was getting nuisance calls almost daily and though some are still getting through the situation is much improved.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: axisofevil
Is the BT offering free of charge (with the exception of a few highlighted features)?

The BT service is free so long as you put some of your calls through them.  I make sure that each quarter I put one or two calls through BT.  It seems to work for me.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I signed up to TPS and it works fine.  It cut out most of my unwanted calls.  Unfortunately it won't work for calls originating from abroad.
With these I sometimes ask the caller to hold a minute and then leave the phone sitting on the desk.
paulby
Grafter

@artmo
Are you confusing BT Privacy with Choose to Refuse?
Choose to Refuse costs £3.75/month and allows you to permanently block numbers so the person whose number has been blocked will get the number unavailable tone when they try to call you.  BT Privacy gives you free caller display so that you don't have to take the call if you don't want to.
Privacy is the service that you need to make calls through BT to keep - Choose to Refuse incurs a monthly subscription.
See this page on BT's site (you need to choose the "Home phone security features" tab).
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Paul03 you're right.  I got them confused.  Maybe too much sun today Smiley
crowlascrafts

Quote from: IanM

Thanks very much, that's exactly what I was after  Smiley
Though naturally the automated competition message is from an international location & can't be barred, oh well  Roll_eyes

I have just been offered this service (Choose to Refuse) as I kept getting a very persistent salesman who wouldn't stop calling - but his number came up on Caller Display as UNAVAILABLE.  From what you say - if this is an international number - the Choose to Refuse will not resolve this - is that right?
I guess the only thing I can do is change my phone number!  :o(  at a cost of  £35.85.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I have just been offered this service (Choose to Refuse) as I kept getting a very persistent salesman who wouldn't stop calling - but his number came up on Caller Display as UNAVAILABLE.  From what you say - if this is an international number - the Choose to Refuse will not resolve this - is that right?

Yes, I get a lot of these calls and they are from abroad so nothing can be done about them.  I just get them to hang on when they call and then eventually give them a hard time.  At least it stops them annoying others for a while Wink