Saturday 25th October 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1] 2

0800 calls don't work on voip beta trial

« on 02/03/2008, 16:48 »
Alas, UK 0800s don't work at present.

On dialling an 0800 number I receive a recorded announcement that tells me "Keine Verbindung unter diese Telefon Nummer", and the error message recorded by the hardware is "Error in Internet telephony during connection with 498000724670 over freecall.pbx-network.de".

Something isn't telling the system that UK Freephone numbers also start with 0800, and it is obviously trying to connect in Germany!

Been like it for a week or so. Any chance of rectification?

[I hope that Peter Vaughan will be satisfied that this is a correct occasion to start a new thread.]

Edit to correct mis-spelling of unter.

« Last Edit: 03/03/2008, 06:52 by fred »

• dgp
  • View Profile
« Reply #1 on 02/03/2008, 21:44 »
Hi - I've just dialled the same number and got straight through to 'Morethan for Business'.  I've also been using BT Meetme with an 0808 number for some weeks and never had any problems, so it's probably nothing to do with the trial.  Is it possible that your kit is adding +49 or that it's dialling +49 instead of +44 which would connect to a UK number??.  Hope this helps.
« Reply #2 on 02/03/2008, 22:31 »
Of course, everything is possible, but no other numbers are affected so I remain to be convinced. All calls to the geographic ranges (01 - 03), and Voip range (0560) are put through without question. I don't use it for 0845 or 0870, I have a cheaper provider for them.
« Reply #3 on 02/03/2008, 23:39 »
What hardware/software are you using and does it provide any debug SIP logs to see what is may be sending that may/may not be triggering this?
Phil Richardson
EX Plusnet staff
Please note: replies before Dec 14th 2012 should be taken in the context of my prior employment at Plusnet
« Reply #4 on 03/03/2008, 06:50 »
Fritz!Box Fon from AVM ( http://www.avm.de/en ) It only logs error messages such as the one I quoted above (ie "Error in Internet telephony during connection with 498000724670 over freecall.pbx-network.de. "), and the ever present "Registration of Internet number 69xxxxx failed. Reason for error: 4.0" which is the PlusNet/Gradwell number. This latter message will be recorded typically two or three times a day. There seems to be no provision for logging the entire SIP transaction during call set up or clear down.
  • pjmarsh
  • Usergroup Member
  • View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on 03/03/2008, 11:29 »
On the Fritz!Box you can specify rules for the default account for numbers matching a specified pattern to use.  Do you have something set up for 0800 numbers to use a different VOIP account?  What happens if you prefix your number with your VOIP dial code from the Fritz!Box?

I don't think I've ever tried dialling an 0800 number from from Fritz!Box.  I'll give it a go when I get home if needs be.

Phil
« Reply #6 on 03/03/2008, 22:11 »
I was speaking to a top quality guy from AVM in Berlin today. If you need me to ask if they have any suggestions, let me know and I will. I've tried an 0800 number from here and it worked fine.

Ian
« Reply #7 on 05/03/2008, 07:46 »
@pjmarsh
Dialling Rule for 0800 is specifically to PlusNet Beta, as is 01 and 02. Default is elsewhere, because that carrier was entered first.

If I enter the PlusNet Beta carrier code immediately before dialling the required number I get the same error message.

It works fine for 01 and 02 numbers.

@Ian Wild
By all means talk to AVM. The problem is a misrouting by Gradwell, but we do not know the cause. If AVM have a method of logging the SIP setup dialogue, then perhaps they could spill the beans to ordinary punters.

I also suspect that an update to the firmware is overdue, last done 13 Dec 06. Maybe they have lost interest in the Fritz!Box Fon product.
« Reply #8 on 05/03/2008, 10:46 »
If it were mis-routing on Gradwells platform I don't understand why it only affects users of the Fritzbox. Furthermore, it strikes me as rather co-incidental that the number being routed to is German, and the box itself was designed in Germany. Maybe that's all it is, but it is certainly seeming odd to me.

I will contact my guy at AVM and see if they have any ideas, although it's likely to be next week is as the whole industry is out at Cebit in Hannover (Where I will also be in a matter of hours!).

Ian
« Reply #9 on 12/03/2008, 17:07 »
@Fred,

I'm UK sales manager for UK.  I think the reason must be that Germany has been set for the regional options, and +49 is being added for this particular Internet Telephony account.  The default setting does not have any country code prefix settings at all.

First step: Because we offer free firmware updates a couple times a year adding great new features and functions like child protection, remote access, better DSL performance, more energy efficiency improvements, and timer functions for WLAN and phone extensions, please update the firmware if not current version 39.04.47.  In the config menu (type fritz.box in your Internet Explorer/Firefox/etc.)
'Settings' -> 'System' -> 'Update Firmware' - > and click to current firmware to download this.

Second step:
Please double check your 'Regional Options' in the 'Telephony' settings of the FRITZ!Box and set for 'United Kingdom'.  After you do this the box will need a minute to restart. For Plusnet, you do not need to use the option for adding a prefix code +44 if you are in the UK, and by default these are not ticked in the Internet Telephony settings, but maybe you are not physically in the UK but regularly dial to the UK, then it might be convenient to automatically include international dialling sequence 00 44. Double check your settings in 'Internet Telephony' -> and edit your plusnet account to see if there is a tick in the box to use the international dialing code as a default.  Hope this helps, I am happy to send screenshots per request.

@pjmarch - thanks for pointing Dial Rules out. The dial rules are a very flexible way to customise exceptions to the general telephone assignements you have made to the extensions for outgoing calls.

cheers,
Matt Tyler
« Reply #10 on 12/03/2008, 21:08 »
Welcome to the forums Matt - We always love to see manufacturers and suppliers in this neck of the woods.

Ian
  • pjmarsh
  • Usergroup Member
  • View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on 13/03/2008, 09:36 »
Welcome Matt, good to see you here.  I've been very impressed with my 2nd hand Fritz!Box I bought nearly a year ago, mainly due to the VOIP functionality with the landline as well.  If you're going to be around here, maybe I'll go and have a play and see if I can break it!  Do you have a link to the latest firmware downloads?  I updated mine when I got it (April last year I think), so there maybe a newer one to play with!!!

Phil
  • pjmarsh
  • Usergroup Member
  • View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on 13/03/2008, 09:48 »
Ignore that request for a link for the firmware Matt.  It's so easy to find it on your website that I was just being stupidly lazy!

Phil
« Reply #13 on 13/03/2008, 14:37 »
No worries Phil :-)  Thanks for taking a little time to get familiar with the product.  The new firmware updates are like a hardware upgrade, lot of new features will be available to you afterwards.  Please look at the info.txt on the firmware download page for a complete list of additons. Perhaps there is a better thread for this, but how about a Tip for the day: You can transfer an incoming call from extension 1 to extension 2 by using the 'R' + '2'. There are many call forwarding and transfer features, all well documented in the manual (on the CD) page 89 and in the online help. Cheers, Matt
  • pjmarsh
  • Usergroup Member
  • View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on 13/03/2008, 15:07 »
Matt.  I have the Fritz!Box Fon, with the latest firmware from Dec 13, 2006.  Is there any plans to release new firmware for this model, say like with some of the features of the Jan 08, 2008 release of the Fritz!Box Fon WLAN firmware?

Thanks

Phil
« Reply #15 on 14/03/2008, 16:10 »
Phil,
I overlooked the product model. It has been a while since the last update for this model, but yes, the orignal FRITZ!Box Fon model will be getting a firmware update in the next several weeks.  :-) Matt
Pages: [1] 2
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE