Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amazing speed increase !

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

amazing speed increase !

Since joining plusnet My normal speeds have been around 460-470 apart from a few occassions when my profile was changed which increased speeds up to 700 but they always fell back to 460 - 470 after a week.
There have been articles on this site about removing the third (bell wire) in the faceplate but on checking the outside box where the underground cable comes into the house only two wires were connected so I assumed (incorrectly) that there was no point in removing the third wire in the internal face plate but just out of interest I removed it...  my speed today was 1371.
I would suggest anyone with a slow speed checks out previous posts on this subject it certainly appears to have worked for me !
We are born into history and history is born into us.
6 REPLIES 6
dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: amazing speed increase !

gleneagles,
Disconnecting the bell wire is important. It acts as an aerial, either adding noise or transmitting away signal, but only from one wire. This unbalances the ADSL signal and trashes it.
Have a look at the graphs on my web page:
http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm
It has been a very simple technical fix to my very poor download speed.
suesykes
Grafter

But will my phone still ring if I get a call.... I only have 1 socket and I have phone and router in it via a filter that come with my 2110.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

First, the connection from the exchange is only 2 wires. The bell wire is created by some circuit within your master socket.
Second, the ring wire is now all but redundant as modern phones have their own circuitry to deal with ringing the 'bell'. Also the ADSL filter/splitter has the necessary circuit to supply the bell signal if the phone needs it thus no bell wire is needed.
Remember to remove the bell wire at both ends of the cable, not just at the master socket end and make sure it is also removed in any connection boxes.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Hi,
Excellent site dougrice, can you enlarge on what you mean by.... waiting for bras profile to adapt after you disconnected the bell wire.. is this something that automatically updates or do you have to request plusnet to update your profile?
Thanks again
We are born into history and history is born into us.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Once you sync at a higher speed, provided you remain at that higher speed for 3 days the equipment in the exchange will uplift your profile automatically.
Hope that helps,
James
Grafter

Hi gleneagles,
You may find this useful reading