Monday 22nd December 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1] 2

Annoying pop-ups that will not go away. Help please.

• dazzanet
« on 14/04/2004, 21:15 »
I seem to be getting plagued with annoying pop-up adverts everytime i log off the web. I have been running Panicware pop-up stopper and google toolbar pop-up stopper and i have always found them very good, however these sites just will not go away, and it's just started in the last couple of the days. The two offending websites seem to be www.gamesplayground.com and www.belgiandip.com, which i have never knowingly accessed or heard of before. The gamesplayground one also comes with one of those "click yes to get charged 1.50 per minute on your phone line"  type pop-ups as well. Any idea how to get rid of them please? Anyone?
« Reply #1 on 14/04/2004, 21:32 »
Search Google for "Lavasoft Ad-Aware" and "Spybot Search and Destroy" - download one, or both of these programs and run them.

These programs detect 'spyware' which silently installs itself on your machine and then can steal information, and cause popups to appear.

B.
  • smithclan
« Reply #2 on 14/04/2004, 22:29 »
Are these pop ups text in a grey box?
  • dazzanet
« Reply #3 on 14/04/2004, 22:53 »
I already have spy-bot which i have run twice in the past 24hrs. There is only one thing it won't delete, which it says some other programme may be using. (??)
As for the adverts themselves - i use XP and they generally take the form of being slightly smaller than the full screen size, but with the characteristic blue border and it says "Ad-Microsoft Internet Explorer" in the top left corner. My pop-up stoppers generally prevent the content of the advert being displayed, unless i press 'Ctrl', however it is still annoying, and i can't help but wonder if something has installed itself on my hard drive somewhere, especially since i have deleted cookies and run spy-bot. The constant request to conect to a premium phone line for a games service is also highly annoying.
« Reply #4 on 15/04/2004, 02:33 »
ie-spyad puts a list of hundreds of unpleasant sites into your IE restricted zone so that you can't unwittingly be sent there.
It's free, regularly updated and works well for me!
Pat
  • cqg4uzg
« Reply #5 on 15/04/2004, 09:35 »
Run Adaware as well, this can remove "programmes in use" at reboot
  • dazzanet
« Reply #6 on 15/04/2004, 14:56 »
Thanks. Will try both, and report back.
  • dazzanet
« Reply #7 on 16/04/2004, 03:43 »
Right, tried both and i still get pop-up adverts from www.belgiandip.com everytime i log out of internet explorer.  :evil:
Any other ideas folks?
  • cqg4uzg
« Reply #8 on 16/04/2004, 09:50 »
Try searching through the registry for www,belgiandip.com and the IP address 64.106.230.30 and remove all instances. Similarly, you could look into the hosts file and the system.ini file for these references.
  • Peter Vaughan
  • Usergroup Member
  • Unofficial legendary bright spark bod!
  • View Profile
« Reply #9 on 16/04/2004, 12:01 »
plusnet ADSL Customer (PlusNet Pro)
PlusNet Usergroup | PUG Forums | Usertools | PUG Issue Tracker - Please vote!!
Volunteer at the National Museum of Computing @ Bletchley Park
FTTC unlimited syncing @ 77Mbs down / 18Mbs up, Data rate 62Mbs down / 14Mbs up
« Reply #10 on 16/04/2004, 12:05 »
If I click on your belgian link I just get a blank page with Restricted sites on the bottom status bar. The browser won't go there (due to the ie-spyad block list)
I have maybe misunderstood. Do you acually want to go to the site and just not get popups or do you want to prevent your browser ever going or being redirected successfully to the site?
If the latter, then ie-spyad works fine as the site is in its block-list. (note that IE must be closed when you install the list)
If you installed ie-spyad correctly, you should not be able to access the site - IMHO, of course! (You may have to clear your cache - temporary internet settings - incase it is stored there - I don't know if that is the case)
one wot I posted earlier
Pat.
« Reply #11 on 16/04/2004, 12:14 »
Ah!
I see what you mean, Peter, and a quick Google confirms it!
Anyway, dazzanet, once you are clean, ie-spyad should prevent further infection via this belgiandip site (at least  Sad )
Pat
  • dazzanet
« Reply #12 on 16/04/2004, 16:36 »
Cheers guys, Ad-Aware updates seem to have taken care of it.
Thanks for your help.
  • smithclan
« Reply #13 on 18/04/2004, 23:09 »
  • deakie
« Reply #14 on 22/04/2004, 20:44 »
just a note to XP users.
you have a service switched on by default called messenger. not msn messenger.this service will also recieve ad's.
go into the control panel and bring up the services applet. scroll down untill you see messenger and then disable it. reboot.
this will close another back door that they use.

when using adaware and spybot, please remember to do a update. this catches the latest tricksters as they re always trying to outsmart these proggies.  Cool
 Cheesy
  • jbcannell
« Reply #15 on 10/05/2004, 14:28 »
If you have Xp why not download the Beta version of Service Pack 2. Has a great pop up stopper, the best ive ever seen infact.
Pages: [1] 2
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE