Thursday 27th November 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1]

Device Cannot Start (Code 10)

• Mav
  • View Profile
« on 05/05/2007, 00:08 »
While re-arranging my Hard Drives I managed to break one of the SATA connectors on my MB.

I boot from PATA BTW.

Not wanting to purchase a new MB I bought a PCS SATA card that has two ports.

Unfortunately, after installing the drivers from the manufacturers CD, I get the following message in Device Manager under Silicon Image Sil 3512 STATRaid Controller Properties:

This device cannot start (Code 10)

Uninstalling & re-installing the driver does not help.

I have the following PCI Cards installed from top to bottom:

4 Port USB
56KModem
Soundblaster Audigy
Silicon Image SiI 0860 ATA/133 Controller
Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATARaid Controller
Firewire

Can anyone offer some advice as to what the issue(s) my be and how I should go about resolving them.

Thanks

Edit: I wasn't able to connect to the HDD LED - I doubt that could be the root of the problem, could it?
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
  • mwright
« Reply #1 on 05/05/2007, 23:10 »
In device manager does it show any conflicts for the device?

Look at the resources for the board and see if its conflicting with any other device.
I would try removing everything you can like the modem firewire to see if it then loads. If you dont use the printer port disable it as its normally set to use dma and this could be the problem
  • Mav
  • View Profile
« Reply #2 on 05/05/2007, 23:38 »
How do I check the resources for the board?

By printer port I assume you mean parallel port?
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
  • Antic
  • Bright Spark
  • View Profile
« Reply #3 on 06/05/2007, 02:56 »
Via system information then conflicts/sharing and problem devices but you really need to know what your looking at to know

You can free up some system resources to see if that helps within the bios which you have to access on boot up either by tapping the DEL key or F1 or 2 and if you look at the post screen as your system boots it will tell you which key it is to enter setup

Once within the bios navigate to peripheral setup or system peripherals depending which bios version you have, once there you can disable any ports you dont use for example parallel (printer port) one or both serial ports, onboard modem (if not used) etc this will free up resources for your system

Press ESC on your keyboard then go to save settings and exit and your done, its important you remember to save the settings otherwise they will be lost

Also have you tried right clicking on the problem device in device manager and uninstall rebooting and letting windows redetect it, once it has point the driver wizard to your driver disk and see if it installs ok

Bill.
Bill

A PlusNet member for twelve years, the heady days of the 36k dial up modem....

• Mav
  • View Profile
« Reply #4 on 07/05/2007, 22:20 »

Also have you tried right clicking on the problem device in device manager and uninstall rebooting and letting windows redetect it, once it has point the driver wizard to your driver disk and see if it installs ok
Bill.

That was the first thing I attempted to do. Not had much time over last few days but the parallel port was already disabled and I disabled the serial ports (strange as the BIOS showed two serial ports but there is only one serial connector).

Still having the same issues so my next step will be to remove the Firewire (I have this on the sound card anyway) and move the SATA card to the firewire slot.
  • dave
  • Plusnet Staff
  • View Profile
« Reply #5 on 07/05/2007, 22:43 »
I've got Silicon Image RAID controller in my server, isn't the same model but I remember when I first got it the supplied drivers didn't work with Windows 2000 so had to download the updated versions from the manufacturer's website. Worth checking as it may be a known issue.
Regards,
Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Products Team
  • mwright
« Reply #6 on 07/05/2007, 22:49 »
When the computer boots up the BIOS may assign irq's ,dma and ports to devices and then windows will try and shuffle them around so they all work.
The problem with both these is if it find a device on ir9 using port 221 it assigns that. If there is another device on the same setting it cant then find it as its looking at the device its just assigned.

To get it to work can be a pain in the but you must get the new device to be found first to do this remove all other cards that are not needed like modem, sound,firewire everything except the hard drive controller and see if it then picks it up.

You can in most bios clear the current stored database which may help. Secondly you can normally assign a pci card in the bios its normally set to auto so setting it up manually often forces it to be seen.
  • Mav
  • View Profile
« Reply #7 on 07/05/2007, 23:19 »
Thanks for your replies.

I will check all the above tomorrow - too tired now.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers
  • Mav
  • View Profile
« Reply #8 on 09/05/2007, 03:09 »
It works Cheesy

I had some serious issues, though.

Firstly, my boot disc was failing and that gave up the ghost today. Thankfully I had already backed everything (I hope everything) yesterday morning. :idea:

The drive is less than 4 months old so I am sending it off for replacement.

Back to the SATA Card.

I took out the 3-port Firewire card and moved the SATA to it's position. Hey, presto, there was the controllercshowing at the very next boot up.

So, re-installation of windows (twice - did it once to slave drive while old drive still connected then after removing the old drive and configuring slave to master it failed to boot; grrrrrrrrrrr) later and all seems well.

Thanks for all your help.
Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE