Wednesday 23rd July 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1]

Some Sites Work Some Don't

• bacon111
« on 31/07/2007, 18:25 »
Anyone know what the problem could be, I'm sharing the connection over a network but not all sites work, yahoo! and plus.net work but site like download.com and microsoft sites don't work.

I've scanned for virus', adware and stuff like that and my pc is clean. anyone know what the problem could be?
  • PJ
  • View Profile
« Reply #1 on 31/07/2007, 18:38 »
Are you able to run a nslookup and tracert on sites that don't work on your connection.
  • bacon111
« Reply #2 on 31/07/2007, 18:40 »
Are you able to run a nslookup and tracert on sites that don't work on your connection.

Like i said Microsoft Sites dont't work so.. Cheesy I can't read those pages. could you give me the jist of them. thanks
« Reply #3 on 31/07/2007, 18:49 »
Check your MTU setting on the router, this can cause problems with some sites if it's set too low. Try it at 1492.
  • bacon111
« Reply #4 on 31/07/2007, 19:05 »
My Network is set up like this.

Internet --USB Modem--> PC Downstairs ----> PC Upstairs ----> Xbox 360

Now my modem doesn't have an ethernet port just a phone jack, so all networking is done through Pc's network cards.

So I'm not sure if i can get to my MTU, any ideas?
« Reply #5 on 31/07/2007, 19:13 »
Just a thought,have you got Peer Guardian installed because this can prevent you from going to certain sites ?
  • bacon111
« Reply #6 on 31/07/2007, 19:28 »
Just a thought,have you got Peer Guardian installed because this can prevent you from going to certain sites ?

Nah I don't is that like Net nanny or something (not that i have that)

Also I can't sign in to MSN messenger. (but I can on the 360)

I use normal ICS with Windows.
« Reply #7 on 31/07/2007, 20:13 »
Use DrTcp http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp to check/Set MTU settings. 'fraid i've not got much experience with USB modems and ICS ( routers are much easier to configure ). Have a google for 'ics' and 'mtu' and there are quite a few tips out there. Just make a note of the MTU settings before you change any , so you can always put them back if it doesnt work!!
  • bacon111
« Reply #8 on 31/07/2007, 20:21 »
Use DrTcp http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp to check/Set MTU settings. 'fraid i've not got much experience with USB modems and ICS ( routers are much easier to configure ). Have a google for 'ics' and 'mtu' and there are quite a few tips out there. Just make a note of the MTU settings before you change any , so you can always put them back if it doesnt work!!

I Tried that, but It didn't tell me anything every box was just blank
« Reply #9 on 31/07/2007, 20:33 »
if MTU box is blank that means its set to 1500

try putting a smaller fgiure into the MTU box, save and reboot.
i've run into the problem you describe and i found i needed to set MTU ~1480 to get MS sites working
« Reply #10 on 31/07/2007, 20:35 »

i've run into the problem you describe and i found i needed to set MTU ~1480 to get MS sites working
  • bacon111
« Reply #11 on 31/07/2007, 20:42 »

Thanks so much, your a life saver. changed it and after a quick restart its been working fine. Wonder why it got changed in the first place.

Thanks
« Reply #12 on 31/07/2007, 21:58 »
i exist only to serve  Cool
Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE