cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being throttled when using a VPN?

Foxearth

Am I being throttled when using a VPN?

Hi
I've noticed I am having significantly reduced speeds when I'm connected to a VPN service (ProXPN as it happens).
I have a Plusnet Hub One router, which is connected via ADSL as I only have fibre to the local cabinet, not to the house. My laptop is connected to the router via Ethernet.
Did a speedtest this evening. With no VPN I get 53.5 Mbps average down and 18.2 Mbps average up (a fairly typical speed for my connection). With VPN enabled I only get 14.4 Mbps down and 3.9 up.
Needless to say this is rather frustrating, and not something I ever had with my previous ISP (Sky). It certainly appears like I am being throttled, but Plusnet says they don't throttle. So I wonder what is happening, and whether there's anything I can do about it. All advice welcome.
Many thanks
6 REPLIES 6
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Am I being throttled when using a VPN?

Surely when using a VPN you are testing the VPN endpoint speed.
Google "whats my ip" with and without VPN
Ian
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We don't apply speed limits to you if you're using a VPN, so that's not the issue here.
which is connected via ADSL as I only have fibre to the local cabinet, not to the house.

As you're on FTTC I'll ask the moderators to move this to the relevant forum.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Foxearth
Did a speedtest this evening. With no VPN I get 53.5 Mbps average down and 18.2 Mbps average up (a fairly typical speed for my connection). With VPN enabled I only get 14.4 Mbps down and 3.9 up.

as you are using a VPN, you will be restricted to what the VPN endpoint is supplying you with.
thus, the problem is with your VPN, not your ISP.
Foxearth

Thanks for the replies, all. I wasn't sure but good to know it's not Plusnet anyway.
I'll scour the VPN forums to see if there's anything I can do to speed things up a bit!
SimonH1

With HotSpot Shield VPN configured for Japan (IP 122.152.167.250) I get a browser (Firefox) download speed of 66.89mbs but only 3.89mbs upload but with VPN disabled (IP 46.208.7.71 London) I get 70.9mbs download and 18.91mbs upload speed when tested via the Ookla  webpage so the Plusnet FTTC is happy to support HotSpot
stuartgreen
Dabbler

Don't forget you have an encryption overhead when working with a VPN. With enterprise hardware this doesn't usually introduce any delay but home / domestic kit you might notice some additional latency and also a drop in bandwidth. Not to mention that things are going to be slower if you're routing everything via a server in Japan - regardless of VPN or not.