Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipad / iPhone Settings Change Folliwng Fiber Install

bazzer
Pro

Re: Ipad / iPhone Settings Change Folliwng Fiber Install

Quote from: NedLudd
With iPads & iPhones, deleting the relevant email details and re-entering often solves the problem!  Cheesy

Its moved on from what I believed was just an iPad / iPhone issue. He's just not receiving any emails to the email address he has had for years.
bazzer
Pro

What is the process when upgrading to Fiber?
Do PN have to configure email settings / mailbox etc. at their end? How could this issue have occurred?
bazzer
Pro

Calling On The Plusnet Community For Help

All,
I am calling on your combined knowledge and experience to help resolve an issue that Plusnet Support Staff are unable to assist with (sorry PN staff but you've wasted my Brother's time and mine far too much)
The issue in a nutshell is this:
My brother has been a PN customer for about 10yrs - never been a problem until now.
He decides to upgrade his account to Fiber.
Receives router, installs and has an internet connection.
His wife, on the same domain name, receives her emails no problem but my brother receives nothing. Same email address he has had throughout the term he has been with PN.
He cannot receive any emails to his email address BUT if I or anyone else send an email to him in the format domainname@domainname.plus.com he can receive.
However, this is not the email address that his friends, work and numerous other individuals have for him so all of those people are now unable to contact him.
So, why has this occurred and how can it be resolved?
Despite him calling PN over and over again and being given numerous excuses they have still failed to sort this mess out - and I'm curtailing my language as the service received has been atrocious.
If you can help it would be appreciated because PN have done something in the process of changing his service to Fiber which they cannot identify or rectify.
Thank you.
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Calling On The Plusnet Community For Help

So what format IS his email in  I have always used XXXXXXX@tiscali.co.uk  that is what I have registered at Plusnet on my account.I receive emails to that even from plusnet.
I have never used my PN email which is set up as you sat YYYYYY@YYYYYY.plus.com
bazzer
Pro

He uses the PN email address, as I do.
The format being name@domain.plus.com
It's always been the same and has worked up until PN upgraded him to fiber.
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Might be worth checking if he's configured a "catch all" option in the plusnet email setup. ?

bazzer
Pro

Negative to that - I checked and, to be honest, he would have no idea how to and wouldn't even mess with the settings.
In fact, I actually applied the catch all to see if that resolved it but it didn't.
What is fascinating about this is the inability for PN support to identify what's gone wrong and to rectify it.
dick:quote
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Have you tried connecting the old router to the new one, if it has a wan input? You may need to adjust ip addresses/dhcp setting.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The Plusnet website is down for maintenance work until 7am tomorrow (Sunday 14/02/2016) so checking any settings isn't possible until the site returns.
However, since his wife's email works and his email works in the form you used, in principle the account email seems to be working. When the website is back up could you ask him to go to Manage My Mail (http://email.plus.net) and check what mailboxes, aliases and redirects exist. Which mailbox is down as default, and check again whether Catch All is on or off.
Unfortunately next steps depend on what he finds.
What configuration checking have Customer Services done? Was this phone or chat support?
David
bazzer
Pro

I can answer some of this as I have access to his account and copied some of the settings to compare with mine.
Firstly, the contact with support has mostly been on the telephone with a +1hr session chat session today after which they concluded that there was no issue as the email they sent reached his webmail. However, when I checked I found that they had not emailed him at his email address but at domain@domain.plus.com which they have been told does reach him but this is not the email address he uses! This is what is so frustrating, they have been told time and again but do not listen.
Anyway, Catch All is off. I did put it on to see if it made any difference but it doesn't so took it off again.
Default mailbox is domain@
Also shown is: name@ Type Mailbox
                       postmaster@ Type Alias with the destination shown as domain@domain.plus.com
                       wife'sname@ Type Mailbox
Postmaster is the only one shown with a destination address and, incidentally, the postmaster only appeared on his account this afternoon which I assume is something that PN did but has not resulted in his original email address working.

Thanks
mav:quote
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There's more detail in the OP's other thread on this subject...
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,148478.0.html
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note
Topics merged

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server 212.159.9.1 responded with: ** email-address@plus.com 550:Denied: Invalid mailbox (email-address@plus.com) ** I have removed his email address** This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server avasout03.

Still getting the same error? If so that points to the email address being set in the wrong format.
When an account upgrade happens nothing changes in the mailbox component, so looking there for an answer may well be the wrong place.
If emails are reaching him at domain@domain.plus.com but not at name@domain.plus.com, then the wrong mailbox is being logged in to. From the settings you've given:
Default mailbox is domain@
Also shown is: name@ Type Mailbox
                        postmaster@ Type Alias with the destination shown as domain@domain.plus.com
                        wife'sname@ Type Mailbox

The only way you can receive email to domain@domain.plus.com is by logging in to that mailbox. To receive email to name@domain.plus.com he needs to log in with username+mailbox and the relevant password for that mailbox.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bazzer
Pro

Chris - thanks for your reply.
Let me restate this: Prior to upgrading to fiber everything was OK. No problem receiving email to the email address he has used for years. Upon upgrading to fiber he no longer gets emails. When I email him they do not appear in his webmail.
Despite numerous calls and several hours on the phone to PN support no one has identified or resolved the issue.
What's going on? Something in the process has broken down yet no one knows what.
He has changed nothing, He wouldn't how to unless directed by a member of PN staff. He doesn't tinker with settings.
Why doesn't someone just get on the phone to him, as promised they would but never did, and get this sorted?
I don't like bashing companies and especially you guys who have always come up trumps but this situation is ridiculous. Pull the stops out and sort this mess out please.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

When I email him they do not appear in his webmail.

Is he logging in to the right address? username+mailbox name?
I'm not working today so can't check anything unfortunately but I'd be massively surprised if the upgrade to fibre has caused this as that doesn't touch the mailboxes on the account.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.