Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: windows 10

I don't know - guess who is staying on Windows 7
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Me too on my desktop but I did convert on my laptop. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with W10 - but then I converted from W8.1 which was awful.
Do you know when support for W7 ceases?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

January 2020
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I'm certainly no lover of M$ - but some of have to use Windoze for some things.-
I was an early converter to Win10 on this machine ( others still have Win7 and a Linux Mint machine ).
I've had no issues at all with Win 10 - I much prefer it to Win 8/8.1 - and I have turned as much reporting off as I can.
I know M% are not doing Service packs anymore - at least by name - but this past week or so one of the updates was fairly major and looking at the M$ site it seems many problems have been fixed.
Given that many people wait until SP1 to come up - maybe now more people will start to upgrade from Win8 .  I have a few friends who have MS8 and I help them maintain their PC's from time to time, and I see no reason to recommend them not to upgrade - as they want to be rid of Win8.1.
I can understand many Win7 uses sticking with that - no argument there, but now most of the PC's in the shops have Win10 installed from new - we can expect the penetration of Win10 to start climbing.
nanotm
Pro

if you use Cortana you cant turn it off,
if your happy to disable Cortana then you can open the services page and disable the bits listed in the article + Cortana and your data wont be tracked.
if you want to use Cortana you cant do it, and some other advanced features might also not work as they currently do, like in browser auto correct or autofill or password manager also personalised advertising and other such features will be disabled.
al the privacy thing means is that Cortana just like siri or google voice requires the ability to access your data in order to perform the tasks or functions you need it to, that necessitates utilising the cloud processing system (M$ servers) to conducts those abilities and as such your data goes to an M$ server, unlike google that actively spider searched every thing and stored that info on its servers for commercial gain M$ is doing this to make Cortana a more personalised interface /
also Siri defeats the entire purpose of end to end encryption on iphones as it "reads everything" and records it all in a storage in apple's cloud service (millions of servers all over the world)
if you want privacy don't use electronic communications devices of any kind don't use the internet and don't leave your front door, because someone somewhere is tracking everything outside of it either through satelites or cctv to phone masts to data taps to isp's (DPI based advertising) to tracking programs to tracking protection programs to purchase tracking to well you get the picture, get over it (your privacy was never there since the surveillance revolution of the late 90's introduced to the UK by labour under the guise of protectionism....)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Oldjim
January 2020

If you take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10, make sure Windows 10 is activated then revert back to your older version of Windows you should be able to re-install Windows 10 for free at any time in the future.  So you could wait until January 2020 if you prefer Windows 7.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Not wishing to disbelieve you but do you have a reference for that
The other problem I see is that with my version of Win 7 I can change the hardware - I just changed motherboard and CPU
If I upgrade to Win 10 and then downgrade again what happens when I upgrade again in a few years time. Would the Win 10 validation still work
nanotm
Pro

that's a damn good question jim,
if your w10 was a pro licence the answer would be probably, if it was a home licence the answer is likely no,
I also understood the free upgrade period expires in July next year regardless of wither you reverted or just hadn't gone through the process /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Mal08
Rising Star

I've read somewhere that Win10 registration is now accepting Win 7 or Win8 serial numbers. ?Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I read that as well but I can't remember where
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I don't have a reference.  Once you upgrade your Windows 10 activation becomes locked to your motherboard.  Once your Windows 10 is activated you have a a permanent key for that motherboard.  There is no indication this will ever be withdrawn if you don't use it and revert to your previous version of Windows.  But it's open to Microsoft to change their mind and "clarify" this situation at some future time.  However as things stand once you have done a Windows 10 upgrade you can clean-install and Windows 10 will re-activate automatically.
In principle if you have a retail copy of Windows (Home or Pro) you can change motherboards and reactivate.  You may need to call Microsoft to do this and you will presumably have to call Microsoft in the case of a Windows 10 upgrade derived from a retail version of 7 or 8.  Give them your Windows 7/8 product key, explain the circumstances and you should be given an activation code.
The current version of Windows 10 ("1511) should activate with a Windows 7/8 product key although it's difficult to get to the state of needing to do that because Microsoft have withdrawn the ISO for 1511.   
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If i revert back to win 8.1 would i be able to reinstall win 10 again if i change my mind. Smiley
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Anyone. Smiley
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Yes.  As things stand at present, once you have upgraded to Windows 10 you can alternate between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 as often as you wish and indefinitely.  But the path back to Windows 8.1 becomes more difficult after 30 days.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

My PC is currently running Win 7 32-bit (4GB memory). When I'm ready I intend to do a clean install. Can I swap to Windows 10 64 bit or will the Win 7 Pro licence I have mean I must stick to 32-bit?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)