cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed dropping to well below expected levels

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: Fibre speed dropping to well below expected levels

@deejayburnout - not in Glenrothes, in the North East of Scotland (near Peterhead).
deejayburnout
Grafter

Poor

noise
deejayburnout
Grafter

Well it's been a week since the openreach engineer told me that the fibre cable issue will be fixed  and a few days since the planned maintenance that plusnet told me about in my member centre and i can honestly say that nothing had changed. During the day speeds are fine but when it comes to the evening again,  the speeds drop.
Look at the quality of my connection since my connection dropped yesterday.

biglee1974
Grafter

Hi DJ.
Just confirming (seeing as we share the same area/exchange) that I too still have the same problems.
Last Monday, the engineer said "Should be fixed this week". One week later, same issue. Horrendous 'peak time' (5pm-12pm) speeds, and terrible packet loss.
I was amazed to see on my fault ticket that "Supplier (BT)? has closed fault as now resolved".
IS IT HELL RESOLVED!
3 months now this has been going on in Glenrothes, and I am not happy about it at all.
Cheers,
Lee
PS They claim 'dodgy fibre line that needs replaced', but this has all the same symptoms of congestion/over subscription at the exchange (a problem they experienced 8 months ago).
deejayburnout
Grafter

I too think that is is congestion and maybe a new fibre cable can cope with the capacity of the exchange. Seems to me that OR should calculate the capacity of the exchange if everyone one on it connected to Superfast fibre the designed the infrastructure to suit.
Wonder what we can do now?
biglee1974
Grafter

All we can do is keep on at plusnet. I assume you have a fault ticket raised? Let them know it's still not resolved, despite what bt are claiming. Point them to me threads too so they can be sure it's an exchange issue affecting multiple people. 3 months it's been like this now and I'm getting well pissed off!
dick:red Avoidance of swear filter edited as per forum rule.
deejayburnout
Grafter

I did have a ticket but closed it off as the fault they were checking was ok.  This is a congestion issue but there seems to be a lack of plusnet admitting it. Not that it's really there fault as the infrastructure is Openreach. 
biglee1974
Grafter

You still have to raise it with plusnet, as they are the only ones that can contact BT, and they are acting on your behalf, taking your money!
I would suggest you open a new ticket asap, because it takes them ages to respond.
But as plusnet keep saying, the more people from the same exchange that complain, the more willing they are to contact bt to sort it!
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: deejayburnout
Seems to me that OR should calculate the capacity of the exchange if everyone one on it connected to Superfast fibre the designed the infrastructure to suit.
It's not that easy - network planning can be a real headache. In any case no-one runs a network with spare capacity just sitting around waiting to be used. That's financial madness. What BT will have done is ensured that it's relatively easy to add capacity as demand grows and they are actually pretty good at doing that most of the time. In this case as a post on the first page says it's most likely a cable break and unfortunately because that's fairly rare it's not something BT does much to mitigate about and so it can take a while to fix.
biglee1974
Grafter

Are you keeping up the pressure, DJ?
Just had an engineer out AGAIN on Saturday to 'test my line'. Jesus. How many times? Told him it would be pointless, as my line was last tested 1 week ago and was fine. Come back any time in the evening to see THE OBVIOUS CONGESTION ISSUE THAT LOWERS MY SPEED FROM 38Mb to 2Mb EVERY SINGLE EVENING.
His reply? A very helpdesk "Nothing to do with us (Openreach), its between Plusnet & BT Wholesale".
Ridiculous. 3.5 months of this rubbish now.
I'm thinking some form of compensation is now in order to make this a bit more palatable. An upgrade to their 80/20 product whilst still paying for the 40/20. You know, what I cant download at night, I can do during the day!
Anyway, keep badgering or nobody is going to do anything.
deejayburnout
Grafter

Still having peak time issues and still slower than a snail. Still a lot of noise on the line at these peak times. going to raise another ticket for it too.

Still have this random message on my account, since i upgraded to fibre. 6 weeks ago.
Due to planned maintenance you may see an increase in the usage displayed on your account on 7th August 2014, between 00:01 and 06:00. You won't be charged for this.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You need to replace the image in your post as you've posted today's snapshot. By midnight tonight it won't show the issue as it will be updating through the day. You need to replace it with yesterday's (Show Previous Days and select Monday, then share that).
Alternatively you could have saved the actual image to your PC and then attached it to your post (as I've done for you).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
biglee1974
Grafter

Trust me Jelv, it will look the same tonight. I'm on the same exchange, and it's been like that for the past 4 months now. Every single night.
Good news though DJ. Apparently, it's a hot VP (you don't say...I only diagnosed this myself 4 months ago)...and exchange getting fixed on 31st.
deejayburnout
Grafter

Quote from: biglee1974

Good news though DJ. Apparently, it's a hot VP (you don't say...I only diagnosed this myself 4 months ago)...and exchange getting fixed on 31st.

How did  you find out that?
Well i just opened another ticket as i am getting bored staring at a loading circle when watching netflix / youtube.
You will see in the attached file some of my speed tests over last month.
Pretty abysmal at peak times.

biglee1974
Grafter

Quote from: deejayburnout
Quote from: biglee1974

How did  you find out that?

Because my ticket has been open for ages, and I do not let plusnet forget about it. They've been pushing BT Wholesale. Apparently, our exchange/Virtual Path has been on 'amber' status for months and months. How bad must the congestion get before it goes red? Anyway, my constant pestering has worked it would seem - last status from BTW is that the exchange is getting fixed on Aug 31st. Lets see what happens.