Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow delivery of email!

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Slow delivery of email!

About a fortnight back I sent two emails from my PN address to my son-i-l, who is well experienced as an IT manager; neither arrived.
Tonight I sent duplicates from the same PN address and copies of them using my Hotmail address via Thunderbird and got this at first attempt
An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  Cannot connect to SMTP server 212.159.9.107 (212.159.9.107:587), connect error 10060.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

In recent weeks I have discovered that emails I've sent have not been received. I wonder how many others have this and not realised it Undecided
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

That's interesting. Is the slow sending persistent or intermittent for you? If it's intermittent, then I've a feeling we're looking at one or more of the servers in the cluster that's playing up, rather than the entire relay platform.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

artmo
Aspiring Champion

The slow sending is persistent. All outgoing emails are affected.
Luzern
Hero

I guess it's irrelevant, and I'm scared it may give Bob reason to say, "that's where the problem is" Shocked ;D, but artmo and I are both Thunderbirds.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I've been able to get a normal delivery of email away from PN and still using TB so I don't think that is the problem. Also this problem has only occurred recently and that is without me making any alterations to my settings.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Bob
No solution yet. Still requires some digging. A temporary fix is to disconnect/reconnect (from/to the Internet) so you're assigned a different IP.

Bob, I've just turned my router off and then on again. It seems to have resolved my problem but there is obviously a problem that needs to be looked into. Thank you for your suggestion. back into working order again Smiley
hamilton36
Grafter

My problem has also been solved by turing the router off and on and emails have been delivered normally for 2 days. Thank you Bob for the guidance.
Alex
Luzern
Hero

My IP address changed today and  test messages to and from my gmail account went through OK
kathleenmason

My answer to all of the complaints on the forum is to leave PlusNet.
Luzern
Hero

That's a very helpful OP, Kathleen, Undecided Cheesy or :'(. Yes, there are moans a plenty, some reasonable, some not, but having been with PN some years, I realise there are a lot worse ISPs. Joining in this thread is to solve a problem and definitely not a complaint. I have never had need over the years, and until i do will always be constructive.
Now how about you? Hmmm.
kdiment
Rising Star

Slow sending seems to be persistent. While a definite slow-down is apparent, it is not really enough to be a problem (unless it gets worse, of course). I am on pcl-ag02 if that help, using POP3/SMTP with Eudora.
  - Keith
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Since rebooting I'm on gateway ptn-ag02 and finding emails are sent immediately Could this problem be down to a gateway issue?
@kathleen, not a wise first post. Yes, we have a niggle but no more than that. Good luck with your new ISP.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The problem is related to the assigned IP rather than the gateway.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Could you please explain this to a non techie, Bob?