cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any capacity issues?

johnukd
Dabbler

Re: Any capacity issues?

I guess this is a generic thread and its OK to post here? I have been having a few problems tonight, so looked at my ping graph. Looks a bit odd? Anyone else having issues? I'm in Rainham.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Here is mine BMQ as it seem not bad at all during this evening.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Earlier this evening at 20:25 on ptn-ag02 a download of a 50MB file took 1:22 which works out at 4995kbps which isn't too good when I have a 7150 IP Profile. The NetWorX graph while it ran is the first attachment. Here's a TBB test shortly after:

Lync lost connection to the server around this time.
I've since hopped to ptw-ag02. At 11:05 the same 50MB file took 1:03 (6501kbps). The second attachment has the NetWorX graph - the download is the second block the first block is running of this speed test:
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: goldenfibre
But.....my Plusnet gateway was fine! No issues. I agree with Andy H - it's not Plusnet problem! Probably somewhere like exchange congestion or SVLAN congestion problem's end.

If you think that it's not an issue that Plusnet has to address please give us the contact details of who we should be contacting to get this issue fixed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chrcoluk
Grafter

are we back to spreading mistruth again blaming svlan's?
max its not your svlan as your svlan is blue.
this is the sad state of affairs where BTw only has to answer to CP's and not end users.
Plusnet claim their network is fine but have gave no confirmation they have chased up BT wholesale, in fact they could choose to simply not chase up BT wholesale at all and end users cant do jack about it, likewise we dont even know for sure if plusnet isnt the problem as the only source of the information is a plusnet support rep..
Jelv is correct in that because we are not BTw customers we are plusnet customers, then plusnet are also responsible for BTw issues (if they occuring).
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Strange last time Chris Parr say my svlan was Green but that was last year!
RED
BLUE
GREEN
As I know Red are bad but what is blue mean? Is it Amber?
chrcoluk
Grafter

green then, but isnt amber or red.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

FTTC is really bad now according BQM below: massive spike just after midnight! unbelieved!
Updated: just done my quick TBB speedtest, seem no issues!
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: 11110_110
This is a new one... Quality  Grin

Something happened then generally on the internet (not sure if BT Wholesale specific).

This is one of the Manchester core routers in the BT Wholesale network - this latency increase will be adversely affecting people in or around that area.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Like @Jelv, I've been having noticeable issues in the peak times, not just the TBB graph showing the 2 graphed line diverging.
Yesterday I had been on gateway  ptw-bng01 for a few days, this morning I tested again and the TBB graph was still diverging but not by the extreme shown last night and I had no noticeable streaming issues.  I changed gateways to pcl-bng02 and still got simliar results.
And then a final swap to gateway ptw-ag02 as I had to reboot my router due to a DNS order change. Now TBB graphs are together and no streaming issues. Obviously the real test is between 6pm and 11pm tonight.
However I have been testing the DNS responses and noticed that when ran under the BNG gateways, I was seeing one of the servers being reported as unreliable. It wasn't the same server shown under each run nor from the same organisation,. Under the AG gateway no such issue.
The BTW and TBB speeds are shown as higher on the  BNG gateways but I am suffering greater streaming issues on these gateways. I don't mind losing a few Mbps on the measured speed if it means I can get a reliable internet connection. It is ridiculous that I can get a measured speed of 70 odd Mbps and not be able to stream live TV from ITV.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
ericgripp
Grafter

stupid question maybe ? but im wondering if part of the issue is London backhaul given the news ?
Im not privy to how things branch out from London to exchanges across the country, but wonder if some core issues have been caused by the Holborn fire ?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/01/holborn_fire_takes_out_chuncks_of_power_and_internet_across_...
InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: jelv
But.....my Plusnet gateway was fine! No issues. I agree with Andy H - it's not Plusnet problem! Probably somewhere like exchange congestion or SVLAN congestion problem's end.

If you think that it's not an issue that Plusnet has to address please give us the contact details of who we should be contacting to get this issue fixed.

Adrian Kennard, who runs Andrews & Arnold (the ISP you'd all like to join but can't afford) explains it rather well in a blog post, albeit in the context of something more specific (charging for SFI visits).
What it boils down to is who your contract is with. (Hint: answer = PlusNet.)
The problem, of course, is a power imbalance between customer and supplier at both of the key interfaces (consumer->ISP and ISP->BT).
In the G.INP thread, it's interesting to see people increasingly suggesting that there should be more transparency of what's happening behind the scenes, at BTW, at BTOR and at PlusNet.
It seems to me that that is an entirely appropriate way of helping to address a clear market failure. Otherwise, BT has used its de facto monopoly position to render itself effectively untouchable and unaccountable. Even Andrews & Arnold is mostly reliant on BT to provide their service to customers.
PlusNet, previously well regarded for good customer service, seems to be going down the same route. Not much customer relating going on here as far as I can see -- although total kudos to Bob Pullen.
Possibly that's in part because of the difficulty of holding any branch of BT to account. Look at all the energy AAISP put in to trying to do that. It simply isn't possible at the scale of hundreds of thousands of customers (which sounds a lot, but still doesn't give you anything like enough power to redress the balance).
So maybe something PlusNet should consider doing is returning to their old philosophy of being open, transparent and straightforward. Some legal advice might be necessary to do it (and they have good legal people, as can be seen from the way their contracts are framed,) but why not just deal with the problem by publishing everything possible about what's going on in the background, how the various bits hang together technically, what's being discussed and actioned... everything!?
I bet you could go very far indeed without breaching confidence (in the legal sense,) with the benefit of generating confidence (in the consumer sense).
And it can be unilateral. There's only ever any point in trying to effect change in ways that you actually have power over yourself, after all.
Transparency: simple, effective relief. No need for guesswork.
I commend it to the... err... forum!
---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
chrcoluk
Grafter

good post interzoom.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Strange last time Chris Parr say my svlan was Green but that was last year!
RED
BLUE
GREEN
As I know Red are bad but what is blue mean? Is it Amber?

No - Blue is significantly below capacity. 
Full list of colours are Red, Amber, Green & Blue.

@ Chris Ive not been around the past few evenings hence nothing from me.
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: InterZoom
PlusNet, previously well regarded for good customer service, seems to be going down the same route. Not much customer relating going on here as far as I can see -- although total kudos to Bob Pullen.
Possibly that's in part because of the difficulty of holding any branch of BT to account. Look at all the energy AAISP put in to trying to do that. It simply isn't possible at the scale of hundreds of thousands of customers (which sounds a lot, but still doesn't give you anything like enough power to redress the balance).
So maybe something PlusNet should consider doing is returning to their old philosophy of being open, transparent and straightforward. Some legal advice might be necessary to do it (and they have good legal people, as can be seen from the way their contracts are framed,) but why not just deal with the problem by publishing everything possible about what's going on in the background, how the various bits hang together technically, what's being discussed and actioned... everything!?

Great posting, problem is of course that Plusnet can't do this as they're part of the BT Group. Whatever we Joe Public may see in terms of interaction between Plusnet and the rest of the group is inevitably a mere tip of a large iceberg. The approach that seems to work best with BT Wholesale is sadly the belligerent one and that's exactly what Plusnet can't do as the Group's management or even Retail's management could easily change the senior staff at Plusnet or abolish the brand entirely if they felt they were becoming problematic.