Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capacity issues - continued

AndyH
Grafter

Re: capacity issues - continued

Quote from: ejs
If host links are those 10Gb things, I'd be surprised if Plusnet have hundreds of them.

Hundreds of VLANs - the actual physical 10G host links will be split into virtual LANs. Ignition managed to find them all on the previous thread.
Quote from: Anotherone
Oh wow, now you seem to be treating me and other users as complete idiots as if we didn't know that the first hop after the user's internal network is the gateway! And who said we were interested in trying to identify a hostlink in this?

I'm confused what you're talking about. You cannot identify an end point or host link (which are the same thing) from a trace route. mlmclaren could be on one of four handover locations in London - the trace route does not show that nor does it show the specific host link/end point.
Please explain to us the purpose of identifying the second hop.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

So just what do you think the underlined part of this  lo0.12.central12.ptn-bng01.plus.net  means?
AndyH
Grafter

I believe it is the gateway & load balancer. It certainly isn't the end point, like you seem to think (Faraday/Stepney Green/Colindale/Colombo and also Telehouse North I think).
deathtrap
Grafter

Oh and another observation since leaving Pn RE: the Sunday /Monday peak evening issues  i regularly experienced since 2013 when i joined pn , They maybe PN's busiest times, but they ain't BTW's as some at Pn would have me believe ,At the end of the day , For customers of plusnet it should not matter where the problems lie , BTW's domain or their (Pn's) own they do have a duty to resolve those issues for affected customers regardless, IMO plusnet have so far failed to to do this in a timely manner (too little too late )
Just how long do they expect customers to pay in full each month   for a substandard service?  it's been been nearly 9mths  since this peak time issue started affecting many of their customers , or that many more customers became aware of the peak time issues
I would be surprised if they  actually manage to resolve this completely , and it remains resolved barring 3rd party unforeseen issues  and BTW issues , the underlying reasons for it not being resolved to date  could be down to cost, and the bean counters not willing to authorise the expenditure / investment required, and no PN staff are ever going to divulge such info ,assuming they know about it to customers and that it is down to a decision from the bean counter,
As there has to be some reason why they have dragged their heals on this for so long, 9mths to actually determine the underlying cause/s never mind fix a network issue, come on lets get real here, are they going for a world record?
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
Could you explain the importance of the second hop then? All it is showing is the gateway (and connection point I believe) - which Plusnet can easily check for any user without their input.
If the traceroute showed an increase in latency in the second hop which continued to the destination, then it would show an issue (although it would still not show where the issue occurs as traffic passes through many L2 devices before then).
Quote from: Anotherone
So perhaps you could just stop your disruptive posts Angry

I'm sorry you feel my posts are disruptive - clearly that view is not shared by the Plusnet staff or mods though.
The link I posted is actually very informative and useful on diagnosing network issues from trace routes.

We assume they can check but they always ask for people to post the gateway, in fact they have done that multiple times in the two threads, so yes you are been disruptive.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: fibreuser
Another previous sufferer here, moved from plusnet a month or so ago to BT.
Everything much faster, especially browsing would reccomend it to anyone else who suffered with single threaded issues , its clearly a PN problem one that I didnt believe they were committed to fix so I jumped and havent looked back since.

thanks for confirming.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: npr
Have plusnet actually asked for the information in the second hop of a tracert?

As stated by chrcoluk in reply #544 above, Plusnet have repeatedly asked for people to post the Gateway. Just asking for that and how it's affecting a given user's use of their connection has perhaps led some other people to think that this is purely a Gateway (& type of Gateway)  issue as observed here if other readers of the thread do misinterpret posts such as this one.
The information from hop 2 is more specific in that it also identifies the VR - Virtual Router (Central) that a user is connected through.
Quote from: AndyH
I believe it is the gateway & load balancer. It certainly isn't the end point, like you seem to think (Faraday/Stepney Green/Colindale/Colombo and also Telehouse North I think).

Sorry, twisting what I have said again, where did I say that it identified the specific end point? I didn't.
What you believe and think in that post isn't right either. It doesn't indicate a load balancer.
There's no load balancers in the same way you get them in front of servers.

What I said in reply #428 was perfectly correct. However, what ejs in reply #424 and myself were probably thinking isn't necessarily the case. Whilst (as I understand it) there will be 10 x 1Gb end points serving a Virtual Router for an E320 (ag) Gateway and one 10Gb endpoint serving a Virtual Router for an MX480 (bng) Gateway, there is not a direct relationship between a Hostlink endpoint and an individual Central VR.
Once a Radius request is received by Plusnet's Radius servers, it is primarily Plusnet's load balancing software that determines the end point, this is provided to BT who determine the routing/tunnelling through to the Hostlinks. Some further software then determines which Central VR a connection is directed to.
I hope I've understood and explained that correctly.
However, as some individual users always seem to end upon particular groups of Gateways and not others, whether there is any special correlation between routing and any Hostlink endpoints and particular Gateway VRs, I don't know.
The situation is far more complex than most of us might imagine as Matthew eluded in reply #482 for which btw Matthew, I thank you.
Any additional information that a user can provide to Plusnet, as well as other users, about their connection and routing could be useful (as I alluded in reply #527 despite the cynicism).
AndyH
Grafter

I see Paul has been helping you out  Roll_eyes
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's Note
Can we please keep this thread on topic and personal opinions out of it.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: deathtrap
Well although the gateway and the central number may narrow things down a bit, it may well not help that much,when thinking about this logically if it did enable them to build a better picture of what was happening then why oh why haven't they been able to fix this issue/these issues before now, ?

It is a good question. I think there has not been the will in the organisation to address it. I hope the recent comments from staff are not just paying lip service, because as you point out, this issue has been going on since December.
Given how long this has been going on, I think Plusnet are now at a pivotal point in terms of their credibility in relation to this problem. Matthew stated that this thread is read by many people in the business. If I was one of those people I would now be asking the question whether Plusnet has the technical capability to resolve this issue. Is the problem so complicated or elusive that it is taking close to 9 months just to investigate, let alone resolve?
Plusnet can't have it both ways. They can't pay lip service and keep telling us they are working on it, but at the same time not resolve anything for close to 9 months.
Either they are not serious about resolving it (although that is not what PN are stating), or they don't have the technical capability to fix it.
chrcoluk
Grafter

The way forward I would take probably seems way OTT, but if they have really spent time trying to diagnose this and left head scratching. then you have to play a game of elimination.
Which would be to temporarily bypass the shaper equipment as a way to rule it out or confirm it as the source of the problem.  This of course may require them to also temporarily increase capacity, but that could be avoided if they were to just bypass it with select accounts, such as those users in this thread and their sheffield account.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Unfortunately I've rebooted my router today and now find myself in need of a half decent gateway.  Undecided
Only 5:15 pm and I get this:
Gateway: pcl-bng01

Gateway: 195.166.130.152

Don't remember seeing the x1 thread ok and the x6 thread bad before -- is this a new development?
Gateway: 195.166.130.190

Gateway: 195.166.130.155

Gateway: 195.166.130.211

Gateway: 195.166.130.152

Gateway: 195.166.130.213

Gateway: pcl-bng01

After all that gateway hopping I'm back on pcl-bng01 and it's ok this time.
Plusnet: are we going to get a weekly update on this issue?
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I think for each week that passes without some significant progress report from Plusnet, the more their credibility drops with regards to solving this issue.
Anotherone
Champion

@npr, did you keep a note of which Central you were on for each of those?
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Ouch!

I can't be bothered to perform a gateway hop but that is far and away the worst test I've ever seen from PN.
pcl-ag08