cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre slow and doing a check has shown FTTP is not being directed to my house

Lucas712

Fibre slow and doing a check has shown FTTP is not being directed to my house

So we upgraded to Fibre quite a few months back and for the last few months it's been slow and it's slow, very very slow, slower than just having the router on its own.  So I done a check (by using links of the Plusnet website) and it said that FTTP is not being directed to my house...what? Is there some kind of fault or something? Please let me know why this is.
9 REPLIES 9
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Fibre slow and doing a check has shown FTTP is not being directed to my house

Hi there,
From looking at your account it looks like you're on FTTC not FTTP, therefore the comment about FTTP from the checker can be ignored. FTTC is Fibre To The Cabinet, which is the fibre service we sell via our website. FTTP is Fibre To The Premises which is not something we advertise.
What speeds are you currently seeing as a line test is showing you connected at the speeds we'd expect (40Mb/s downstream).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Lucas712

Re: Fibre slow and doing a check has shown FTTP is not being directed to my house

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the quick reply. These are the results:
(With only my laptop connected by a Ethernet cable)
Download speed: 38.52
Upload Speed: 13.47
Ping Latency: 42.38
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That's pretty much spot on with what I'd expect on the 40Mb/s service. What issues are you seeing?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Lucas712

While watching videos, buffering occurs while on 720, when I'm on my Xbox, it randomly disconnects and while on YouTube on my Xbox the quality goes as low as 240 for no reason, even when I have full wireless signal on my Xbox (best result  is when it's wired, which is not really something I can do as the router is on a different floor) and my parents have been telling me how the internet is slow on their Tablet/ Laptop.
tonycollinet
Grafter

That sounds like a wifi problem - quite typical with the Technicolour router which is not the best for wifi - especially if it is not close to you.
It might be worth trying a different wifi channel - in case you are using the same channel as your neighbors. You need to log into the router web interface to change it.
You can also try Inssider - to scan wifi in your area to see the best channel.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html
EDIT -  forget Inssider - I thought it was free, it isn't
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

This version is free http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/inssider,1.html
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

WiFi Analyser for android is free.
Let's be careful out there !
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

mspritch

If you find that it's fine on a wired connection but poor on wireless, and changing the channel doesn't fix things, I'd highly recommend a BT HomeHub 5, you'll pick them up cheaply on eBay (mine was about £45) and they're ADSL & VDSL compatible, no need to use the Openreach box and you don't need BT broadband to use one. VERY good wifi too, especially when compared to the Technicolor (which isn't surprising as the TG582n only has two half-inch strips of circuit board track as antennae, I ended up plugging external antennae into the MS156 test sockets inside mine).