cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro Add-on

Jasmine

Pro Add-on

Hi there,
I would like to ask for a technical clarification on what exactly the "Pro Add-on" is - I've tried both searching online and through the forums only to find terribly vague explanations of the service; and a general "You don't need it" kind of tune.
The thing is, if you look at the - also vague - listing on the Plusnet website "Upgrades your service to a top-class prioritised connection" it sounds like a must-have. And it doesn't sound anything like the explanation the staff have been giving on these forums of a traffic shaping tool (the staff basically make it sound like QoS).
So, I'm not asking is it worth it and do I need it - I'm asking from a technical standpoint what is it; specifically in terms of a FTTC connection.
Thank-you
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Pro Add-on

The best start is here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
The start is here
Rate limits
We do not apply rate limits to any of our current residential or business products. Find out more about this in our Broadband speeds guide. We used rate limits with some of our older broadband products to make sure everyone gets a good online experience.

If you click on Traffic Prioritisation and see the difference between Pro and no Pro but the real difference is the the traffic priority only applies at an individual user level so only prioritises the traffic going to your connection not globally across the Plusnet network
Look here for an older product http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/plusnet-value-archive.shtml#trafficManagement where adding Pro would remove all the rate limits
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Oldjim's explained the main points of Pro.
It removes any rate limits (which the current products don't have anyway) and puts all traffic in the top 2 priority queues.
This link shows the normal traffic queues the traffic is in: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
So by adding Pro, you'd see all traffic battling it out for the speed on your connection. Whereas without it certain things such as Gaming, Streaming etc would take priority over less time sensitive protocols such as P2P etc.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Jasmine

Thanks guys; much appreciated.
Quote from: Chris
Oldjim's explained the main points of Pro.
It removes any rate limits (which the current products don't have anyway) and puts all traffic in the top 2 priority queues.
This link shows the normal traffic queues the traffic is in: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
So by adding Pro, you'd see all traffic battling it out for the speed on your connection. Whereas without it certain things such as Gaming, Streaming etc would take priority over less time sensitive protocols such as P2P etc.

What you're saying is in stark contrast to the add-on page explanation.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Pro Add On
Upgrades your service to a top-class prioritised connection, ideal for online gaming and working from home. Subject to a 1 month contract.
This description hasn't changed since it was first introduced and the reason it says that was that unclassified traffic (the ones which weren't identified properly) were classed as silver and the ones on Pro were Titanium
At that time there were quite a few games which weren't correctly classified and suffered as a result.
The situation has now improved significantly in that we see very few complaints about games not being classified correctly
There was also the reason that external FTP  was heavily restricted at peak times in some of the products
Note that I am trying to justify the description as it should have been updated a long time ago
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Unfortunately a lot here will tell you , The pro add on will not !! make a difference to your FTTC  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ghos7em1
Grafter

i agree on fibre it can make your connection worse