cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two days without internet - still can't reconnect

DeadDuck

Two days without internet - still can't reconnect

Hi,
I have an ADSL connection on an EO line which was fine until the mother of all outages began two days ago.
I've followed all the instructions about doing a factory reset on the router and leaving it unplugged for hours at a time but have still not been able to achieve a connection.
Anyone any ideas about what to do next, other than make good use of the MAC I've been provided with?
Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Two days without internet - still can't reconnect

Can you look at the router lights and advise what you see.
Can you look at the router logs and see if xDSL is coming up.
If you are not getting xDSL up then your problem has nothing to do with the recent outage - we can progress looking at the issue from there.
If you are getting xDSL up can you see any IP address is being assigned - possibly 172.x.x.x ?
Have you checked the user account details in the connection details?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DeadDuck

Thanks for helping Townman.
I've got a netgear router and it doesn't seem to be recording much in the logs.
It says "connecting" on the status but doesn't move on from that. The "test" and "internet" lights on the front of the router are not lit.
DeadDuck

Forgot to add - router just has it's 192.... IP address - the setting says to be dynamically assigned by the ISP but  that doesn't seem to be happening.
DeadDuck

Also to add: I've plugged a phone into the same cable as goes into my router and there is a dial tone without obvious noise - I've also made a good phone call using that cable.
I have also swapped out my ADSL filter for a new one - still no change, no DSL connection
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Dead duck,
Sorry I forgot to wish you a warm welcome to the forums.
This sounds like a basic failure to synch.  Do you have another router you could try / borrow?
Sorry, here come the dumb questions just to make sure nothing has been overlooked...
Do you have phone extensions?
Do you have any other phones plugged into extensions without filters?
Have you tried the router in the master socket?
Have you tried the router in the test socket behind the master socket face plate?
Have you done the quiet line test - dial 17070 option 2?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ghos7em1
Grafter

sounds like the problem i had.when pn had outage and i couldnt connect.i had to get an engineer out to fix it.turns out pn had some kind of stealth session going on.took engineer 2 hours to find the problem,hope this helps m8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

This is ADSL not FTTC.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I don't know if this works on the Netgear you have but on the DG834 series you could get the PPP log by first putting this in to the browser to enable logging
http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=ppp_debug
and then going to
http://192.168.0.1/ppp_log
If you enable the logging and then hit Connect it might show you something. Rebooting the router stops the logging.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DeadDuck

Quote from: Townman
Dead duck,
Sorry I forgot to wish you a warm welcome to the forums.
This sounds like a basic failure to synch.  Do you have another router you could try / borrow?
Sorry, here come the dumb questions just to make sure nothing has been overlooked...
Do you have phone extensions?
Do you have any other phones plugged into extensions without filters?
Have you tried the router in the master socket?
Have you tried the router in the test socket behind the master socket face plate?
Have you done the quiet line test - dial 17070 option 2?
Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I had tried eliminating most of those points but not the last one so will give that a try when I get home this evening.
DeadDuck

Quote from: jelv
I don't know if this works on the Netgear you have but on the DG834 series you could get the PPP log by first putting this in to the browser to enable logging
http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=ppp_debug
and then going to
http://192.168.0.1/ppp_log
If you enable the logging and then hit Connect it might show you something. Rebooting the router stops the logging.

It is that series of router, and I didn't know you could do those tricks so thanks for posting - I'll give those a go this evening. Not sure if I can easily get hold of another router to eliminate faults with mine but I might have to.
I've managed to get hold of plusnet tech support who were unable to run their line testing software on my line, so the plot thickens....