Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Great Conspiracy Theorist....

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: The Great Conspiracy Theorist....

That isn't the point
The present cheapest product without phone and Market 1 is an astounding £19.99 -sheesh  Angry
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: ReedRichards
It's perfectly possible to direct more traffic at your router so push-up you usage.  In fact it does not have to be Plusnet; anyone who knows your IP address and has a grudge against you could do it.

If you have your Plusnet Firewall set at the appropriate settings that shouldn't be possible.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: Oldjim
That isn't the point
The present cheapest product without phone and Market 1 is an astounding £19.99 -sheesh  Angry

Yeh, thanks a bunch OFCOM and Plusnet  Roll_eyes Crazy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

For me:
Plusnet Unlimited
£30.32, speed 8MB down 832kbps up (Max Premium). (I won't be moving my phone or going contracted in case support doesn't improve).
A&A Home::1
£25 for 100GB (as my usage is nearly always below 30GB that isn't issue). I'd be on ADSL2+ with A&A so would see better speed up and down for no extra cost. I'd also have A&A's legendary support.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

That isn't the point

It may not be your point but my point was that all Ado16 has told us is
Quote from: Ado16
... we're on the cheapest tariff of old that doesn't exist any more

The (regular) price of my broadband is currently £9.99 a month whereas when I signed-up in 2009 at £11.99 per month that was the cheapest tariff available to me.  It is not a given that older is cheaper.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The point I am making is that legacy product charges don't change after they are no longer sold and you seem to be unable to accept that
This is absolutely nothing to do with the fact that your exchange changed from Market 1 to Market B and hence you could get a cheaper product because of that and neither did I say that older was necessarily cheaper although if the exchange Market classification doesn't change that is in fact the case for the product the OP is on
You are comparing a new package on a Market B exchange with phone (£9.99) to Value on a Market 1 exchange without the phone (£14.49) which just isn't a valid comparison
Anotherone
Champion

I agree with Jim Wink  Being on a Market 1 exchange it would not pay me to change to a newer package with my current usage, and my Legacy product price has not increased.
Ado16
Grafter

Quote from: Adam
Hi Ado16,
I can assure you that we aren't in the process of upping people's usage in a bid to move them to a new product. As a few people have mentioned, this sounds very much like you're seeing the effects of data getting bigger while your usage remains level. If we wanted to shift people onto the newer product sets we would likely follow the same path we have in the past where the old product is simply retired with an option to move to one of the newer product sets with a special offer.
As mentioned by DomS, it doesn't sound like someone accessing and using your wireless network without your authorisation unless they are a very reserved hacker who just wants to send the odd email and check the lottery results  Tongue
Best course of action would be to monitor the usage on the devices you have connected (most either have this feature or software can be installed to monitor it) and then see if the amounts line up with your VMBU billing month. Alternatively a good check on the connected devices as mentioned previously would be worth looking into.

Thanks for that! I'm only teasing btw.  Today has been interesting though. As far as I'm aware I took my own phone off the Wifi and onto it's own 3G data usage.  The computer has been on briefly but not used to any great extent and yet today 1.84GB of our Allowance has gone up in smoke.  I was actually hoping we could lurch along to our changeover day without reaching our limit - but we just have apparently!  Angry
I restricted our "Safe Surf" years ago when we first joined. Just turned the Plusnet Firewall on (though I thought it already was) in addition.
It's going to cause an argument but I think my OH's Android phone might be leeching Data - despite taking steps to stop that from happening.  Android phones really do seem to be a rule to themselves.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The point I am making is that legacy product charges don't change after they are no longer sold and you seem to be unable to accept that

What made it difficult me to accept was that the price of my legacy product did change after it was no longer sold.  Jelv explained why; Plusnet added a 'penalty' charge for not having a phone contract.  I guess you had your phone with Plusnet for long enough that you never suffered the penalty charge but we're not all you, Oldjim.  Even if Plusnet have a stated principle that they will freeze the price of legacy products they can easily sidestep this by inventing new extra charges that did not exist hitherto.  Perhaps it's a conspiracy? 
picbits
Rising Star

It's going to cause an argument but I think my OH's Android phone might be leeching Data - despite taking steps to stop that from happening.  Android phones really do seem to be a rule to themselves.

1.84Gb is a lot to just lose - there is either someone using your connection without you knowing or an application misbehaving.
Do you have any Apple software installed on your PC ? Have you done a recent virus scan and malware scan ?
Download the free version from here :
https://www.malwarebytes.org/
Oldjim
Resting Legend

@ReedRichards - Agreed and it was a lot sneaky doing it more than 2 years after it was no longer marketed
Ado16
Grafter

Quote from: DomS

1.84Gb is a lot to just lose - there is either someone using your connection without you knowing or an application misbehaving.
Do you have any Apple software installed on your PC ? Have you done a recent virus scan and malware scan ?
Download the free version from here :
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

I scanned the other Sunday - as far as I remember - Though last full scan was sometime the week before. Going to double check later. Yes, have iTunes on here.
picbits
Rising Star

Could iTunes be trying to remote sync with Apple ?
There have been issues before with failed syncs every time a machine is started.
Maybe one of the PN staff could put up data so we can see if there is a lot of upload bandwidth being used ?
picbits
Rising Star

This is an old article but gives some insight ......
http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/icloud-the-hidden-cost-for-the-magic-and-how-to-avoid-it/
One member on this forum had a file downloading on his PC which kept failing (not Apple related) - it would then queue back up and attempt to download again. He used quite a bit of bandwidth. Another member found there was a problem with his Apple software syncing so every time the machine started up it would retry and drain his allowance.
Stab in the dark but worth investigating.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There's a well documented issue with iTunes gobbling huge amounts of data usage after a recent update. See https://discussions.apple.com/message/23710128
Unchecking Internet Explorer bookmark syncing in iCloud may solve your issue.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)