cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection drops when plasma TV is on

Dabbler

Broadband connection drops when plasma TV is on

Just had plusnet broadband connected today and noticed that whenever I turn on my plasma TV (59" samsung) the SN Margin for download drops from 6.0 to 2.5 -3.0. Plasma is in my lounge, router is connected to master socket in bedroom some 5m away. I had this tv for couple of years now and previously did not have such issues with broadband from O2 and Sky.
What can I do to fix this other than not watching tv when using internet or changing tv? Can I use my old O2 or Sky router with plusnet?
10 REPLIES 10
sully72
Grafter

Re: Broadband connection drops when plasma TV is on

Dabbler

Thanks for reply. I've seen that post and will check few things. I made little progess today: after moving phone from extension socket in lounge (right next to tv) and connecting it together with router to master socket the SN margin went up from 2.5 to 4.7.
I have two extension sockets in my lounge on both sides of tv, so maybe interefernce from tv is affecting broadband signal through the cable between extension sockets directly behind tv. I will connect router to test socket later and see if that helps
picbits
Rising Star

Also try disconnecting everything from the telly and run it on its own (probably with no picture but still a good test).
You may find it is transmitting interference back down a cable (aerial) or a HDMI socket etc. If you can pinpoint where it is spewing EMI out of then you could try some ferrite filters on the leads and see if that helps.
dragon2611
Grafter

My best guess would be noisy PSU.
You don't happen to have Sky do you?
Dabbler

I have xbox, sky tv and bluray player all plugged into a good av surge protector and connected to tv through av receiver. When testing SN margin drops I have disconnected everything from tv and I could see drops only when tv was on. I have ferrite ring on tv mains cable. All other equipment was off or in standby all the time. My theory is that plasma interference affects broadband through phone extension sockets and the cable connecting them in the lounge (all very close to tv), so hope that connecting to test socket will get rid of that interference. As I'm working from home today I will not mess around with master socket now and will test it tonight.
Previously my sky router was connected to extension socket and was right next to tv, before that with o2 also did not have any issues, so wondering if technicolor router could be somehow more sensitive to this interference.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi 371830,
It could well be possible that the Technicolor is a little more sensitive however I'm sure that the testing will reveal this. Just out of curiosity do you have an alternate router to test?
It could be worth giving it a go just to make sure that there hasn't been a change elsewhere that's caused this problem.
Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Could it  be that the new router is syncing at a higher speed than the old ones, have you tried powering on/off or resyncing the router when the tv is on ?
That could give you a higher s/n and stable connection, but a lower sync speed.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Stumpy21,
Dammed good point!  Without actual figures of how things used to be, one cannot state that they are wires now fir sure.  All that can be said is a scenario is being perceived now which was not observed before.
As you suggest, in the past if synch was established with all of the equipment switched on, 6dB would have delivered a slower synch, been more stable at that speed and shifted to 8-9dB with the TV switched off.
Plasma TVs, X-boxes, Sky boxes and Freeview boxes are notorious for emitting REIN / RFI.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dabbler

After connecting to test socket in my bedroom I got SN up to 6 dB with plasma on. The synch speed was 4 Mb, which is what I was getting with previous providers (router in lounge). Plusnet synched initially at 4.7 Mb with plasma off, so I guess that's the explanation.
Now I have moved the router back to lounge near TV and it synchs at 3.5 Mb with SN 6 dB, so my telly takes around 25% of my broadband speed.
Is there anything I can do other than getting new TV or moving router back to bedroom test socket? I'd prefer to have it in my lounge where I can have wire connections to all AV equipment?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Try contacting the TV makers - explain to them that it is emitting RFI in contravention to the telecommunications interference standards.  As per one of the posts above look to see if disconnecting cables improves matters and if it does, replace cable with a ferrite RFI suppressor.
Alternatively put the router back up stairs and obtain a pair of Ethernet over power (dLAN) adaptors.  These work really well and can be picked up for as little as £25 on Amazon.  You should look for a 500Mbps pair.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.