Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PVR Recorders

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

PVR Recorders

Anyone had much experience of these ?
We have had a Humax for about 4 years but recently it's been freezing up and failing to respond to the remote.
I understand it contains a hard drive so it may be that is starting to pack up. Looking at various feedback on Amazon, Digital spy and other sites I see that even the most recent models of Humax appear to have similar problems so it may be nothing to do with my existing box but would welcome any thoughts on this subject.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
9 REPLIES 9
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: PVR Recorders

We've had several over the years. From a Pace "twin" with a 20Gb hdd, to the latest one a Bush with a 330Gb.
I tend to go on price and features. I wanted a twin tuner with HD and the Bush was fine - Once I got one that worked  Sad I had 2 others that had various faults from 100% usage with only 4 programs recorded - not freeing the space when deleting programs, to freeze on start up.
I was getting told to get a Humax but just couldn't afford the extra cost.
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

We had Humax and it was brilliant we just decided to go for a Panasonic with an editing facility. We did have to have it repaired under guarantee but it's been ok for the last 4 years.
The only other  problem we have in the past was with the very first PVR we had, we got very close to filling the hard drive and it couldn't cope but as as soon as we deleted a load of stuff it was fine. 
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

BTW the problem is probably with the PSU rather than the hdd. You could get it repaired but probably cheaper to get a new box. Cry
NedLudd
Grafter

You could try a total reset. But, make a note of programs you record first. The recordings are safe but not the list of programs to be recorded.
It sorted out a problem I had with my Humax HDR-1000s.
Geoff,
York.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I pulled apart a BT style freeview PVR (because it was [Censored]).
There is a lot of empty space inside - but it didn't use standard PC components.
Even the hard disk, although SATA, was a special low noise long-lived version.
Buy a new one such as a Panasonic and dismantle the old one to see if you could have mended it.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've had a Humax 9200-T since about 2005 - I bought it very soon after launch before they put the price up when it suddenly proved popular.
Yes, it freezes occasionally, but now it's on the latest software it's pretty rare - maybe once a month at most? In that time I've done about 2 or 3 hard resets. So the advice is:
a] leave it running 24/7
b] don't allow the disk to fill up more than about 80% or else the indexing gets corrupted
c] make sure you're running the latest software release
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

I've had a Panasonic "all-in-one" (hdd, vhs, dvd) for some years now. It's not hd or twin tuner, but has been very reliable (occasionally it shuts down for no apparent reason then does some sort of "recovery", but it's never lost anything; I suspect it's because the disk is nearly full)
Also have a DigitalStream twin-tuner hdd  machine which is HD, and has ethernet connection. Excellent value, and reliable (so far)
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool PVR's either work or, they decide not to.
Not responding to the remote controller - lock up - is the normal one. Missing recordings is the second most common issue - often down to cruddy firmware or, the programme codes not being sent by the network. Other common issues include changes in the 'White Book' leaving some features out of date, older PVR's freaking because there are now more than 99 Freeview channels and, the hard drive 'decaying' as it's approaching the MTBF. I also have a PVR that doesn't like Sky News... go figure?
Over-Air-Downloads were meant to fix firmware issues but manufacturers are unliklely to commit time, money (DTG Fees) or, admit there's a major glitch in their software in the first place. Beware loads of the same model on eBay that are "Factory Refurbished". With some PVRs, if the HDD is going south, you can often swap in a new HDD, and the firmware will do an automatic configuration. You can even put in a SATA-SSD to make a silent PVR.
As for a good new model, that's a difficult one? My advice is right now to avoid anything that's 'Vestel Inside' - Bush, Argos, Currys. That's not down to build standard but firmware quality. Spending more money only seems to buy a nicer box, not a better inside. You could buy a cheap PVR, but keep the receipt and and be ready to take it back for a full refund. Many new model PVR's are released so quickly, that there's not been enough time to fully test them in the wild. In other words, new PVRs are always BETA releases.
An interesting resource (not Humax) http://pvrbugs.futaura.co.uk/my_view_page.php
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have a Foxsat HDR running custom firmware and behaving very well.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine