Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Status

bounty
Dabbler

Service Status

I seen this on the Service Status page last week
"This is an update to our previous post regarding a large volume of our customers not being able to re-connect.

Our engineers are continuing to investigate this. Please do not attempt to restart your router to try to resolve the issue."
What would happen if someone restarted the router to resolve the issue?
9 REPLIES 9
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Service Status

You wouldn't have noticed anything different, it was just the way you reconnect once the issue was resolved that was important. A router reboot wouldn't have benefited anyone.
We'd always advise logging into your router and to press the 'Connect' button instead of restarting. Restarting your router (on ADSL) can have detrimental effects on your broadband speeds too.
bounty
Dabbler

I was one of your customers not being able to re-connect.
I have noticed a big difference since being disconected by plusnet, I re-started my routers before seeing the service status page. I have lost  ADSL2+ on my line and been having big problems with my two routers since 16 July.
Please see my Fault Ref: 3-98506695797  ticket ID: 88651982
TORPC
Grafter

What gets me, is
If a customer is unable to re-connect / connect
Typical rule of thumb is to Turn off / on / reboot / factory reset the router(s) / check filters / Remove faceplate, connect via test socket etc, Thus (Causing a re-connect)
Therefore, when they have no internet & they go through the typical checks before contacting support via the DognBone
1. How are they reasonably expected to see the service status,
Quote from: bounty
<snip>
"This is an update to our previous post regarding a large volume of our customers not being able to re-connect.

Our engineers are continuing to investigate this. Please do not attempt to restart your router to try to resolve the issue."
<snip>

2. If the are not able to get out to where there is a connection
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We're not placing blame on any affected customers who have done that, the Service Status is merely advice and an update to widespread issues that affected our customer base.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@bounty - We've got your Fault Ticket, we'll be in touch shortly.
TORPC
Grafter

@Chris
No-one is blaming anyone tbh
It is widely known that routers will be powered of / on etc prior to either calling support, or gaining access to the internet by alternate means
Thus the statement  "Please do not attempt to restart your router to try to resolve the issue" is technically nil & void
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well it was put on, I think by me for good reason, so for those that did read it, great, for those who didn't it's not a biggie.
bounty
Dabbler

I hope your customers don't have the same problems as me when I restarted  my router a few weeks ago

Title of Message: Broadband Connectivity (82285) - NEW
Created:31/07/2014 @ 16:41.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At approximately 3:45pm this afternoon we experienced a significant drop in end user sessions across our broadband network.

This will have caused a large volume of customers to lose connectivity to the Internet. Reports from customers suggest that many had difficulty reconnecting and some may still be experiencing problems.

If you are struggling to connect to the Internet then please try powering off your modem or router for an hour or so before powering it back up and attempting to re-establish a connection to the Internet.

We'll provide another update later on this afternoon

Kind regards,

Adam Cassim
Customer Support
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning bounty,
We haven't seen any issues with the restart of the routers following the dropped connections yesterday although the situation behind this was a little different to the on you referred to in the original post of this thread.