cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could someone explain "gateway Hoping"

waynem
Grafter

Could someone explain "gateway Hoping"

Hi as it says above  and also the benifits etc .  seen alot on the forums about this so would like to try and understand what it is .
thanks
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Could someone explain "gateway Hoping"

It's hopping Smiley
On occasion, some of our gateways (the things you connect to to download stuff) become busier than others and by doing a soft disconnect and reconnect on your router, you should connect to a different one, which might be quieter than the other one. Sometimes this can improve your throughput speed.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Its disconnecting your connection to the gateway but NOT by rebooting the router, rebooting makes the BT system see a lost connection and will raise your snr and lower your IP profile if that happens too many times too quickly.
So most routers have a option to drop PPP connection or similar which the BT system doesn't react to, which if you are connected to a congested gateway will help by connecting to a different one eg faster/more stable download/upload speeds/no stuttering watching videos online.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
waynem
Grafter

Thanks James an Gus  , would this affect my gaming ? i mainly play BF3 on Xbox  and lag can be a problem ,just to clarify "a soft Disconnect " is this done on the router web interface  eg connect/disconnect ?  (belkin) .
just to add does this affect fibre too as i,m due to get fibre next week ?
thanks again for the quick replies  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Note that he said "Soft" disconnect - that means log into your (modem)/router, look for the section that covers your Internet Connection - PPP session - PPPoA may be another term used or PPPoE on Fibre, terms used are dependant on your (modem)/router. Look for the Disconnect/Connect, Drop Session button etc. - Disconnect, wait say 30 secs then Connect again.
Edit: Yes lag can be affected on a congested Gateway.
waynem
Grafter

Thanks for the quick reply Anotherone  Smiley
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

As a variant  Roll_eyes with my modem/router I haven't found a connect/disconnect option so I select "manual", save, select "always on", save - which does the same thing  Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As long as it doesn't cause a drop of sync with the exchange!