cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading firmware of Technicolor TG582n?

Michael37

Upgrading firmware of Technicolor TG582n?

Hi,
It's been suggested that upgrading the firmware of my Technicolor TG582n might make it more resistant to the various attacks visible in the log, which seem to be making it unresponsive.
I've identified updated firmware in another post in this forum, but I can't see anything that says how you actually update the firmware....
Ideally I would want a method that works on a Mac (even via Telnet?), but otherwise I have a Parallels Windows XP available too.
Thanks,
Michael
109 REPLIES 109
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Upgrading firmware of Technicolor TG582n?

See the following quote for a link to TG582n flashing instructions and the utility software needed. Unfortunately it is Windows only.
Quote from: P
The process to flash a router is quite simple, though is only available to windows users. Instructions can be found here which is applicable to the TG582n as well.
David
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I did try this when I had a 582, even using the M$ app (on XP), it wouldn't complete (failed at several places several times) and I had to get Chris to do it from PN, might be worth asking if they can update it for you.
mattturner
Grafter

I can upgrade your firmware to the latest version remotely if you like. Give me the nod and I'll push it out.
Matt
ntownsend

Hi,
Wondered what the latest firmware was this router was now - I have 8.4.4.J and, after nearly a year, wondered if there were more recent versions, not least the 10.X series I see some references to. How would I get it? Is it possible just to ask someone? If so, I'm asking!
Neil
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Neil,
We currently have a 10.2.2.B version available if you wish to try this one.
You can upgrade via this link - http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
Razer
Grafter

What are the benefits of upgrading to this 10x version?
stewartk80
Dabbler

i`ve just got my router and its 8.C.M.0 will this be upgraded or is this the latest one,    due to be switch on from thr 15th may
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114824.0.html
Note it is a test version - I'd suggest running on the shipped version for a week or so before attempting anything as brave as partially tested firmware.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
totallytech

Hi Guys,
I've recently got given an o2 wireless box 5, which appears to be a Technicolor TG582n.
I want to flash the firmware either to the plusnet version or the generic version so I can use this on my BB.
I downloaded the TG_UPGRADE.zip file, and the PN TG582n R844J + USB.bin file but when I run the Thomson software it finds the TG582n and asks for Username and password. I enter the details but it fails to access saying the username or password is wrong.
I access 192.168.1.254 and it logs me in fine, but the Thomson software just wont authorise.
Any ideas?
totallytech

I've just attempted to telnet to the router and the error is:
Login not allowed (User 'Administrator' is disallowed to login from lan to telnet)
Closing Connection
hmmmm......
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There's no gaurantee the plusnet firmware is compatible with the o2 582n anyway, because they may be different models, plusnet's are DANT-T (adsl variant modified with no usb port), I think some o2 units are DANT-1 and the firmware's aren't interchangeable.
totallytech

Yes, I just found using the user "SuperUser" with the normal password has worked, but my model is the DANT-1
I'm currently trying to use telnet to create a new ppp connection. I cannot edit the O2 connection for some reason
Aghhhh! Gotta love O2... Sad
mattturner
Grafter

Hi,
I believe that O2 routers are locked down to only connect to their systems. I don't think you can flash non-O2 firmware to them either.
If there is a "_VARIANT_ID" in the environment list command from telnet then they you won't be able to flash another firmware on without having that same variant id in the firmware file.
Sorry,
Matt
Unknown

Hi
Windows 7 Home Premium
I have a Plusnet Tecnicolor TG582n router modem supplied by plusnet with software release 8.4.4J
I recently enquired of Plusnet Support how to upgrade and download the firmware for this model.
I was told that I cannot do it individually and that it is done on a batch update automatically via plusnet.
However I notice from this thread that there is a version 10.2.2B available for download.
I am puzzled why there has been no automatic update to the 10.2.2B version and am just wondering if the member of support was not correct in the information he gave me.
Can anyone shed any light on this for me .
Thanks
Terry