cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2 or ADSL2+

Mav
Fixes: 514

ADSL2 or ADSL2+

Been doing a little research on this and it seems that I am currently on ADSL2 not 2+ from my router's (Technicolor TG582n) stats:
Uptime: 9 days, 0:26:34
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.011 / 5.075
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/MB]: 1,99 / 531,27
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,7 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25,3 / 45,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5,6 / 5,3

Various sites I've looked at suggest that G.992.3 is ADSL2 and it should G.992.5 or Annex M for ADSL2+?
I've also read that many people with the same attenuation as my line are on ADSL2+ with a higher sync. I understand that the cabling leading to my premises may not be fantastic but my router is connected directly into the test socket with a new filter.
Something else that throws a little confusion into the proceedings is something I found in the ADSL"+ FAQ (my bold):
[quote=http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/adsl2+_faq.shtml]
3. ADSL2+ is available in my area, when will I get it?
If you're signing up as a new customer, you'll get ADSL2+ if it's available and your line can support it.
If you're already with us, we're currently upgrading our customer base (there's a lot of you so it'll take some time) and we'll be in touch as and when the service is available. Upgrades are available to all residential products apart from Plusnet Unlimited.
Why is ADSL2+ not available for those of us on Unlimited? I was never made aware of this before and only came across the FAQ recently.
Is this set to change with the product refresh due soon?
Any advice would be appreciated - it could just be a case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

65 REPLIES 65
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: ADSL2 or ADSL2+

PN don't support Annex M, so you should be on G.992.5 annex A for ADSL2+, is there a setting in the router that you can force?
That FAQ was, I guess, a standard on the old unlimited package for when their exchanges were enabled to ADSL2 you couldn't upgrade. If you've been sold the package on your return then it is available to you and it won't be holding your + back, it definitely works on ADSL2+.
You'd be much better off changing to the new package, the rate limits on the old unlimited were much more severe.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think what is happening here is that the higher frequencies used by ADSL2+ don't work to well on your line so the modem and the exchange have auto negotiated back to ADSL2. The chances are that if you force ADSL2+ you might start to see a lot of errors and the target noise margin pushed well up.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think Jelv is right, the higher ADSL2+ frequencies (1.1MHz to 2.2MHz) have insufficient SNR to contribute on your connection so the exchange equipment and your modem fall back to ADSL2 which doesn't use them. ADSL2 still uses the improved ADSL2/2+ modulation technology, just a lower frequency range. Kitz provides an instructive guide on this here.
It looks like you have a TG585 or TG582 router. With either of these Routerstats will give a bit loading plot which could be instructive.
At 45dB attenuation I think some of the higher ADSL2+ would be expected to contribute, but possibly your line is not up to it.
David
Mav

Are these following graphs helpful?
Note: There is nothing showing under Bits Tone for 256-512 even after a refresh.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: Mav
I've also read that many people with the same attenuation as my line are on ADSL2+ with a higher sync. I understand that the cabling leading to my premises may not be fantastic but my router is connected directly into the test socket with a new filter.
You definitely do mean the test socket, accessed by removing the faceplate of the master socket? I ask because quite a few people think the normal socket at the master is the test socket.
Assuming you do mean the actual test socket, are you using an extension cable between the router and the filter, or just the short ADSL cable.
When was the last time you reconnected?  The time of your post and the uptime in the stats suggest about midnight a fair while ago. A reconnection during daylight would be a good idea, with new stats straight after.
Have you checked in the router GUI for "All" or "ADSL2+ ..." being selected?
Mav

Quote from: Estragon
You definitely do mean the test socket, accessed by removing the faceplate of the master socket?

Yes, without an extension cable.
Actually, just tried looking through the router's GUI for the All or ADSL2+ setting. Couldn't find it. Thought maybe it was in the original setup procedure but it wasn't but since going through the setup which included re-entering login details I can't access the router's home page.
I had this issue the first time I set up the TG582n and it needed a power recycle to solve.
Dinner about ready so will recycle later and report back.
I do have a HomeHub router from eBay which I am hoping to use which may offer better stability and wireless function but not yet sure how to use it with a PN line.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I do have a HomeHub router from eBay which I am hoping to use which may offer better stability and wireless function but not yet sure how to use it with a PN line.

Which model HomeHub? I've used both 2.0b and 3.0a models on PN - if you search my posts you should find out how to set it up.
If you can't find it, post back here and I'll dig it out for you.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The first Bit Loading plot shows tones from 170 to 214 and above 219 contribute nothing - rather strange that 215 to 218 do relatively well. I think this demonstrates the problem, excessive noise at those frequencies, but pinning down the solution is more difficult.
Have the faults team ever done any diagnostic work on your connection?
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I do have a HomeHub router ...but not yet sure how to use it with a PN line.

You just tell it your Plusnet credentials (username@plusdsl.net, password) as you would with any other router.  All the other settings should be correct by default - so perhaps you should begin by resetting the Home Hub to its factory default state.
Mav

Quote from: spraxyt
Have the faults team ever done any diagnostic work on your connection?

Not as far as I recall. Definitely not since returning last month.
Perhaps I'll wait for some comments from the DCTeam sometime during the week.
Quote from: ReedRichards
You just tell it your Plusnet credentials (username@plusdsl.net, password) as you would with any other router. 

I recall reading that the homehubs are all locked to BT and have to be 'cracked' to work with PN. Even then, only certain version could work - I'm certain that I chose a version that could work. but if you say I should be able to plug and go after changing the login details I'll give it a go during the week.

Estragon
Rising Star

Make sure you don't do many disconnections in an hour whil trying the Home Hub.  5 or 6 should be safe.
The critical figure used to be 10, at which point the DLM would jump in and try to deal with what it thinks is instability. It can be very painful trying to get back from what it does.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I recall reading that the homehubs are all locked to BT and have to be 'cracked' to work with PN. Even then, only certain version could work - I'm certain that I chose a version that could work. but if you say I should be able to plug and go after changing the login details I'll give it a go during the week.

Before trying this it could be useful to follow up what Jaggies wrote
Quote from: Jaggies
Which model HomeHub? I've used both 2.0b and 3.0a models on PN - if you search my posts you should find out how to set it up.
If you can't find it, post back here and I'll dig it out for you.

Might save some time.
David
Mav

Sorry, I did look it up, got side-tracked and forgot.
It's V2.0 Type A HomeHub.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I recall reading that the homehubs are all locked to BT and have to be 'cracked' to work with PN.

Funny, because I recall reading the exact opposite; that Homehubs are pre-programmed to 'take' Plusnet credentials (presumably because BT own Plusnet).