cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

battery contact fault

will2012
Grafter

battery contact fault

Plusnet have said there is a battey contact fault wit my line. What is that?
They have said they have put it out to their supplier to investigate but if the fault is found to be with my line they will charge £60. I dont really agree to this so would like to find out more before I give the go ahead.
9 REPLIES 9
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: battey contact fault

Battery Contact. This means your line is in contact with another line. Usually caused by water in the system causing the insulation on the wire to break down.
The £60 charge is applied if the fault is on your side of the master socket. If you have connected your equipment in the test socket and the fault still exists you are not likely to be charged.
Dan
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: battery contact fault

I'd go further than that.  If you have connected your equipment in the test socket as instructed and run the tests as instructed then you can pretty much guarantee that you will not be charged.
will2012
Grafter

They will actually fix it then, and not say what bt usually say - you have a dial tone therefore no fault?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

No, that excuse can only be applied to voice.  Provided you get a decent engineer they will find and fix your problem. 
will2012
Grafter

And am i correct in assuming when this is fixed, sync rates will be higher?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

The sync rate you reported on your other thread is appropriate for the attenuation reported by your router but the attenuation reported by your router is too high if your line is good quality copper and follows the direct route to the exchange that you think it does.  So a successful outcome would be if your reported attenuation drops and your sync rate increases accordingly.  If what Dan the Van says is correct (no reason to doubt this, I just don't know myself what is meant by 'battery contact') then it seems likely that if the fault is located and fixed then your speed will improve. 
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@will2012
I've posted on your other thread, probably best to keep further updates in that thread if you read the post I've made.
You can ignore stats like attenuation with this sort of fault, the figures (especially in isolation) are meaningless, so no deductions about speeds etc can be made.
A battery contact fault is a "telephone line" fault and will be fixed. When fixed, your broadband speed will improve.
As stated by others, provided that you have connected to the test socket behind the front plate of the NTE5a, so isolating your internal wiring (if any), it proves the fault is external to your premises and so you won't get a charge. In any case, this type of fault cannot be internal (your side of the test socket) - unless you have more than one line and have stuff connected that may be introducing some connection between them.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
A battery contact fault is a "telephone line" fault and will be fixed. When fixed, your broadband speed will improve.

Do you mean by "telephone line" fault that the engineer that addresses it will not specifically look at the broadband connection?
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

I agree with Anotherone from personal experience a year and a bit back. The sync was hit by the battery contact fault, but recovered, and more, once cured. That cure did take a few days, as a new chamber had to be installed in the street, the cables having been laid direct in ground, as I understand was the custom in the early 70s.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.