cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why some mobile numbers can't be dialed from PN Landline?

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Why some mobile numbers can't be dialed from PN Landline?

Hi there,
I am a bit worried that my wife is unable to contact me thru my mobile from our landline.
Having said that I tested out to call her mobile and it was possible.  So, I dialed my mobile number and I get "the number you have dialed is NOT recognised".
My wife's mobile service provider is O2, where as mine is Lyca Mobile.  Is there any reason why O2 number can be contacted whereas Lyca cannot be?
I would like to clear this mystery.  Can any one help?  Perhaps Mr. Trimble might be able to throw some light on this.
Chandu.
19 REPLIES 19
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Why some mobile numbers can't be dialed from PN Landline?

Hi - there are no restrictions whatsoever on the numbers you can dial out from a Plusnet landline. If you've confirmed the number you're dialing is correct and works from other lines it might be worthwhile contacting Lyca Mobile to see if they've heard of this issue before or have any restrictions at their end.
Other than that I'm not too sure which direction to point you in, the only option may be to raise a fault or I'd be happy to run a test from an alternate Plusnet landline to see if it is more of a network issue than an individual line issue - just drop me a PM with the number.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,
Do you know if the mobile number on the O2 network has ever been moved between mobile networks?
ie.e has it been ported as part of taking a contract through another mobile provider.
Number not recognised is indicative of a routing issue within the mobile providers network, normally the company the number was moved from, but it can be in the current mobile providers network (so does apply even if you have not moved providers).
I have had recent experience with similar issues with a large volume of numbers, were you got unrecognised on a regional basis.
Even though this may only impact calls from your Plusnet line, the number you cannot route to us managed by the mobile provider. This would need to be reported to them. From experiance, you will need to supply the number you are calling, the number you are calling from and the specific time you called. They can then locate on their routing switches were the call should occur and try to diagnose the problem.
chandu
Rising Star

Hi there,
Thank you both Ben Trimble and P Richardson.  Much appreciated.
Yes, the mobile number in question was ported from O2 to Lyca Mobile.  So, it could be something to do with the porting of the number.
I shall raise the issue with Lyca to start with and see what they have to say.  Then take it from there.  I shall keep you posted of the outcome.
@ P. Richardson, sorry I do not quite understand what you have said in your last para.  Can you please elaborate on it, please.
Thanks.
Chandu.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looks like he's just advising you to do what you've said you will - report the issue to Lycamobile Smiley
He's also saying you'll need to advise them of the number you're trying to call, the number you called from and also the time of the call - that way they'll more likely be able to find out the details of what's happened for you.
Hope that helps Smiley
chandu
Rising Star

Hi there,
Thank you Matt.  Now it all cristal clear.  I was trying dial O2 ported number (to Lyca) from my landline (PN) to get the message that the number is NOT recognised.
Will keep you posted of the outcome from Lyca CS.
Regards,
Chandu.
chandu
Rising Star

Hi all,
As promised, I am updating the findings of Lyca Mobile.  They had carried out extensive tests and were unable to find any fault with their network.
However, I had carried out a mini test by asking my friends to dial my Lyca Mobile from their landlines and following are the results:
1) Landline provider - Talk-Talk - Contact was okay
2) Landline provider - Virgin Media - Contact was okay
3) Landline provider - O2 - Contact was unsuccessful with a message: The number you have dialed is NOT recognised.
4) Landline provider - BT - Contact was okay.
5) Landline provider - Plusnet (My landline Provider) - contact unsuccessful with a message: The number you have dialed is NOT recognised.
Please do correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Plusnet provides the landline and broadband services for O2 and hence the result as above - both Plusnet and O2 were not successful in contacting my mobile.
Your thoughts on this will be appreciated.
Regards,
Chandu.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: chandu
Please do correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Plusnet provides the landline and broadband services for O2 and hence the result as above - both Plusnet and O2 were not successful in contacting my mobile.
Duly corrected Plusnet have nothing to do with O2
Anonymous
Not applicable

But, BT "own" Plusnet, and used to "own" O2 didn't they ?
Perhaps there's an O2 / Plusnet infrastructure hangover ?
But BT connection seemed to work OK !
BT created Cellnet and sold it off a few years ago. It rebranded itself as MMO2 and then gave up the daft MM and became just O2.
As far as I remember, O2 use(d) the BT landline structure for distribution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O2_(United_Kingdom)
O2 was formed in 1985 as Cellnet, a 60:40 joint venture between BT Group and Securicor.
In 1999 BT Group acquired Securicor's 40 percent share of Cellnet and the company was later rebranded as BT Cellnet.[2]
BT Cellnet was rebranded as "O2" in 2002.
prichardson
Grafter

O2 has nothing to do with Plusnet and for that matter, anything to do with BT these days either.
O2 started providing Broadband as a result of their purchase of Bethere, then ultimately entered into the landline market following this. As such, the O2 landline network is independent.
However, I think you have spotted a common cause.
Lycra confirmed they investigated. Did they indicate if they had contacted and investigated with their upstream providers?
In this, very specifically, did the contact O2 from where the number was originally ported?
chandu
Rising Star

Hello all,
Thank you very much for correcting me on my unfounded belief about O2 and PN.  I appreciate it and my sincere appologies to all concerned.
The following is the response I had from Lyca Mobile Customer Service: "our technical team had confirmed that there is no issues found with our network hence we request you to check the same with your Landline service provider in order to proceed further."
So, I do not know if they have contacted their upstream providers, nor if O2 were contacted about the issue.
Now do I go back to Lyca to ask if O2 and upstream providers had been contacted?  Will appreciate your feedback on this matter.
Regards,
Chandu.
chandu
Rising Star

@ Ben Trimble,
I have sent you a PM.  Have you received it?
Regards,
Chandu.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Could be tricky to resolve with both Plusnet and Lycamobile being Virtual Network Operators?  Neither of them is likely to have direct access to the relevant routing tables.
Lycamobile in the UK apparently operates via both O2 and Orange Mobile networks.
If the call is originating on the Plusnet landline network, the it may be easier for Plusnet (BT) to track (in the forward direction) where the call is failing to get onward routed.  Depending on the outcome you should know where to go next?
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@chandu
Hi - I've replied, I was on hols so didn't manage to do so earlier.
I think that the problem lies at Wholesale / Openreach not updating their routing for this number. I believe O2 operate landlines from Wholesale in the same manner as we do; hence the problem appearing across 'both' networks.
chandu
Rising Star

@ Ben,
Thank you.  I tend to agree with you regarding problem on routing update by BT.
I have responded to the PM with further info.  Please do let me know what you think.