cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet TG582n router & USB HDD NTFS support?

mattturner
Grafter

Re: Plusnet TG582n router & USB HDD NTFS support?

I can't remember the actual command, but I'd be interested in seeing the output from the Wifi environment test, where it reports noise on each channel. It will be in the wifi menu on the Telnet interface.
jim:quote
grudkin
Grafter

Well!
So far I am very impressed with the TG582n router.
I have gained just shy of 1 Mbps since installing it!  Cheesy
Quote from: Matt
The first is to the demo firmware - note that this is ready for release, but does not have Plusnet's configuration on - it is default Technicolor UK. The admin username is Administrator, there is no password. I'm not 100% sure how the USB port is configured, it may not even be enabled, we've barely tested this firmware ourselves!

As for the Demo firmware, I cant see any problems as yet other than there seems to have been some changes to the telnet instructions!
For example "dns server route list" no longer works, "route" was the offending instruction!
I took me quite a while to find the answer in the form of "dns server forward list"
The USB port is working too albeit with FAT32 only!  Sad
Also during my exploring with telnet instructions I discovered the printer sharing is already enabled although I haven't tested it with a printer thus far!
Any chance of you getting hold of an up to date CLI refference guide from the guys over at Technicolor UK Matt?  Wink
mattturner
Grafter

Quote from: grudkin
Any chance of you getting hold of an up to date CLI refference guide from the guys over at Technicolor UK Matt?  Wink

I'm trying to get hold of this too! I'll keep you updated!
I'm glad the router is working out for you, I think they're pretty good and use one at home (which says something as we've got access to all sorts for testing).
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Try wiki.aa.org.uk/images/3/33/TG582n_CLI_Guide_v1.0_public.pdf for a guide
grudkin
Grafter

@Anotherone, I already have that version thanks, unfotunatly it is for firmware version R844J.
Version R10.2.0.B has had some commands changed and some of the commands in that guide no longer work with version R10.2.0.B.
For example "dns server route list" no longer works, However route has changed to forward so the command "dns server forward list" does work!
The question is how many other commands have changed in R10.2.0.B?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Thanks for the update. I hadn't spotted anything anywhere that said things were different with the demo firmware.
pnf
Grafter

I own a Technicolor TG582n router that I purchased independently (not supplied by PlusNet although I am a PlusNet customer).  The original firmware on the router was version 8.4.4.I. 
I kept this router as a spare but recently, as a test, I configured the router as a UPnP AV Media Server using a 16GB USB stick attached to the router's USB port.  This worked successfully, enabling me to stream video, photos and music to an iPod Touch.  The router was not connected to the internet, it just acted as a media server on my local lan.
However, I found that after shutting down the router and restarting it the media server could no longer be accessed.  The only way that I found to make the media server available again was to run the router's configuration wizard and then to reload my previously saved configuration.  There may be an easier way but I couldn't find one!
This is where the new 10.2.0.B firmware comes in.  In an attempt to resolve the above problem I thought I would give the new firmware a try.  Unfortunately, it didn't resolve the problem, it remains exactly the same.
I did, however, spot some issues with the firmware that I thought would be useful by way of feedback (see the attached pdf file).  The main problem is that the firmware disables the WPS facility on the router, reporting the following message 'WPS enabled but currently down due to incompatible configuration'.  The other issues are fairly minor.
In the meantime, if anyone knows how to resolve the media server issue I would be very grateful for any assistance.
grudkin
Grafter

Quote from: pnf
I did, however, spot some issues with the firmware that I thought would be useful by way of feedback (see the attached pdf file).  The main problem is that the firmware disables the WPS facility on the router, reporting the following message 'WPS enabled but currently down due to incompatible configuration'.

Hi pnf,
You will find that the WPS is incompatible with a hidden SSID, To resolve this you need to change the "Broadcast Network Name:" setting to yes.
Hope that helps  Wink
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

PNF.  Thanks for that.  Most of our 582 routers that are going out don't have the USB port in anymore, but we'll flag the question into Technicolor, as that sounds like a bug in the firmware.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
pnf
Grafter

Thanks grudkin, you're absolutely right, I hadn't spotted that.  I was a bit concerned that there was some form of incompatibility somewhere and I was going to go back to version 8.4.4.J of the firmware but I'll stick with 10.2.0.B now that I know there isn't a problem with it.
Thanks Kelly for your help too. It would be good to get the media server issue sorted.  If Technicolor do release new firmware will PlusNet make that available in some way via the Member Centre?  Also, how will I know that new firmware exists given that Technicolor don't seem to provide such infomation on their website?  Is there somewhere on the PlusNet site that will report the latest firmware releases for supported routers?
As a general comment, given that Technicolor sell these routers through independent outlets (not just via ISPs) they really should make their firmware available for download via their own website in the way that Thomson used to. Technicolor don't even make user manuals available for the TG582n via their website. Not a very customer oriented company - shame!  
Edit:  corrected a typo.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The firmware for the 585s is available in the library: http://community.plus.net/library/ unfortunately we don't have any others for the 582n yet though.
Any further revisions for whichever model will most likely be made available there, and we'll let interested parties know via these forums (possibly even a blog if there's enough changes to the firmware to warrant one, though I'm not sure it's something that'd interest that many customers so most likely here).
See your point about technicolor though, I'll feed that back to the guys who deal with them to bring up next chance they get. Can't promise anything I'm afraid but we'll make sure to let them know.
pnf
Grafter

Thanks for the information and your help Matt.  I'll keep an eye out for further releases.
As ever, PlusNet's support is much appreciated.
grudkin
Grafter

Glad to help you pnf,
You may be interested to know that by following the instructions at http://npr.me.uk/mssid.html I was able to setup a 2nd guest SSID configured to connect using WPS whilst having the 1st SSID hidden with WPS disabled!  Wink
babycheese

Followed the telnet guide also, very handy, I've set up a second SSID for guests.
Does anyone know if it is possible to allow the second SSID to just access the Internet and not the local network?
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: grudkin
Could a plusnet staff member please confirm if the firmware for the TG582n router will be upgraded to add support for hard disk's formated in NTFS in the future?

How locked down is the telnet interface?
I'm wondering if it'd be possible to build the appropriate kernel module for NTFS support and then modprobe it from a flash drive and then a NTFS drive can be used? A little geeky/hacky (and would have to be done after every router reboot) I know but I imagine the choice between NTFS (212kb*) or IPv6 (252kb*)is related to the size of the image in the NAND flash rather than the RAM usage by the modules.
Just a random musing for the hacking/modding crowd I guess.
(* Sizes quoted are for an i386 3.2.0 kernel, but serve to show how its a one or the other choice)
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)