cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half a million Mac computers 'infected with malware'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Half a million Mac computers 'infected with malware'

There is other software that identifies and blocks such attacks.
Which I have installed on my iMac
Apple S/w U/d is belt and braces.
It also has a built in Firewall, which surprisingly is NOT enable by default, you have to click it on.
It is not obvious you have to do this to enable it.
Perhaps, this is what has happened to anyone with problems, of any kind.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is totally irrelevant
The hole was found and corrected by Oracle and it took Apple 8 - yes eight - weeks to issue a patch for Mac's. The end result 600,000 machines compromised virtually all of which were proved to be Macs
Anonymous
Not applicable

Proved ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Oldjim
But that is another Russian company so not too be trusted - they are just trying to increase sales of their product to gullible Mac users  Crazy

As you yourself previously mentioned !

Surprise, surprise ......
And he is in virtually the next street to Dr. Web in Moscow, Russia !!

Steve
Seasoned Pro

The funny thing is most Mac users use Macs because they don't know enough about computers to use Windows or Linux. Ironically the ease of using a Mac is what lulled them into the false sense of security. If it is a computer it has programming and if it has programming it can be affected by a virus.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Your previous discredited link was a load of rubbish and didn't prove anything
Isn't it amazing that some Apple users are totally incapable of accepting that there could ever be something wrong with their beloved companies products and procedures.
To quote another poster - I am obviously wasting my time here so I will leave you to your blinkered ignorance.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Lips_are_sealed weird thread. I just popped in to raise awareness of something that got tweeted to me http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/widespread-computer-virus-indicates-mac-users-no-longer-saf... for the benefit of mac using pn customers but unfortunately I've been beat to it and the thread has devolved into slagging peoples machines off! Supposed to be a help forum unless its turned into a criticise someone for their equipment forum since the last time I was in?
Anonymous
Not applicable

"the thread has devolved into slagging peoples machines off"
Totally agree, I'm amazed the Mods didn't jump on this immediately !
Indeed, it started off with a "slag" and continued along that theme !
I must have contributed around half of the posts on this thread, and didn't feel the need to slag off other peoples choice of computer, directly or indirectly.

Is it Envy ?
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Roll_eyes Where's a mod when you need one
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: PlusComUK
I must have contributed around half of the posts on this thread, and didn't feel the need to slag off other peoples choice of computer,

And yet you weren't very complimentary about Russian vendors of security software.  Kaspersky is a well-known vendor of PC Security software so they have a reputation to uphold and thus a vested interest in being seen to give accurate information.  They also sell an antivirus product for Macs so one could argue they have a vested interest in exaggerating the threat posed by this trojan.  Each individual will have to judge which of the conflicting vested interests won out. 
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

With all due respect, the poster only said that there was talk about creating the mal ware themselves but surely being condescending and negative about their computer and OS of choice is not in retaliation for dissing an  AV provider.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: ReedRichards
Quote from: PlusComUK
I must have contributed around half of the posts on this thread, and didn't feel the need to slag off other peoples choice of computer,

And yet you weren't very complimentary about Russian vendors of security software.  Kaspersky is a well-known vendor of PC Security software so they have a reputation to uphold and thus a vested interest in being seen to give accurate information.

I think, if you read it properly, you will find it was another member that queried this !!!
Quote from: Oldjim
But that is another Russian company so not too be trusted - they are just trying to increase sales of their product to gullible Mac users  Crazy

I just pointed out how physically close the locations of the two Russian companies were !
Within walking distance.
And you have to read the misgivings mac professionals have, about a possible close relationship, on the web.
Being a mac user, I get all sorts of emails and alerts as to potential problems, solutions, hints & tips that you possibly wouldn't be aware of.
Quote from: ReedRichards
Not being very familiar with Macs
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Seriously next time I wont bother, Even Linux users are not this ignorant!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
Lips_are_sealed weird thread. I just popped in to raise awareness of something that got tweeted to me http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/widespread-computer-virus-indicates-mac-users-no-longer-saf... for the benefit of mac using pn customers but unfortunately I've been beat to it
Quote of the Century, How Is It unfortunate? Unfortunate that you are late to the party?