cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear N150, firmware and VPN

Roo2000

Netgear N150, firmware and VPN

I've been with Plus for over 6 months now, but only signed up to these forums today so hello everybody.
I'm hoping theres some clever people out there that could help me out.
I've plusnets fibre service and have the Netgear N150 Router.
A month after getting the router I did have problems with it not connecting, which I put down to a service interruption of some kind  and all has been fine ever since.
Now before these problems happened I'm sure I successfully upgraded the firmware a couple of days after I got the router but now each time the router says an update is available It gives me an error when I try to install it.
This didn't bother me too much as all seemed to be working as it should untill this week I decided to try and setup a VPN.
Just a basic PPTP VPN using windows XP professional.
Although I set it up (or at least I think I did) very easily and also forwarded port 1723, I've only ever had Canyouseeme.org see the service twice, and I'm unable to connect externally.
I also can't connect to it internally which led me to look online for help and read about some routers needing a firmware upgrade.
Firstly has anybody using the Netgear N150 managed to get a VPN working?
Secondly as my router will not upgrade to the latest firmware could it be faulty?
And if it is would Plusnet replace it FOC?
Thanks for your comments in advance.
11 REPLIES 11
mikeyriot
Grafter

Re: Netgear N150, firmware and VPN

I've never used VPNs but I dont rate the latest firmware for the netgear at all. I had nothing but problems with it and ended up rolling back to version that came on it (and unchecking auto update). Since then its worked perfectly again. If you do a quick search, theres a couple of threads regarding the netgear and its flakey new firmware, and steps on how to roll it back if you'd like to try.
Oh and of course, welcome to the forum!
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Hi Roo2000,
Quote from: Roo2000

Just a basic PPTP VPN using windows XP professional.
Firstly has anybody using the Netgear N150 managed to get a VPN working?

I use a VPN connection on a daily basis with the Netgear WNR1000v3 as supplied for my "Value" FTTC connection.
XP Pro laptop supplied by my employer, using Cisco software which shows in Network Connections as "Local Area Connection 2 - Cisco Systems VPN Adapter" when connected via VPN.
It works both wirelessly & via ethernet cable.
I made no changes to the router settings whatsoever (port forwarding etc.) as it worked straight away & I chose not to update the Netgear firmware.

HTH,

Paul.
gwillym
Grafter

Virtually the same setup as Bald Eagle, with no problems. Even have a separate PC not using VPN sharing the same broadband with no problems
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: gwillym
Virtually the same setup as Bald Eagle, with no problems. Even have a separate PC not using VPN sharing the same broadband with no problems

I don't know if it's relevant or not, but we also have a wireless laptop (Vista), a desktop (XP Pro) & a desktop (Windows 7) all non-VPN using the Netgear router at the same time as the laptop using VPN.
We have also occasionally had visitors using the router wirelessly for I-Pads, I-Phones & a Kindle at the same time.
Roo2000

Thanks for the replies,
It sounds like you are both dialling out into a VPN at your offices?
I'm trying to come the other way Dialling in to my Lan to access my files.
I'll admit I've never setup a VPN before which is why I'm trying to use a basic PPTP which is built into windows.
I've tried both on XP Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate and I've recently installed the Windows 8 preview just to have a look.
Although I can setup an incoming connection and select the relevant user that is allowed to dial in, I've never been able to connect.
I've used netgears for years and have had problems with ports staying open in the past, which is what I've put this down too.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Hi Roo2000.
I *have* used VPN to dial into my own network in the past - (but to a Win Server 2008 box) and i seem to remember it requiring an additional 'extra' ports to be forwarded to the target machine from the Router.
The ports i needed were as follows..

However i cant tell you if this was for a PPTP or L2TP implementation, (as i dont remember) i literally only used it for a few days whilst requiring files from home at work.
Failing to connect internally however would indicate that it is not really a router issue, more likely you need to open additional ports in the Windows Firewall  on the machine you want to dial into.
Hope That Helps
Regards

Edit:
Also, PN will be highly unlikely to replace the router, as the router is funcitoning 'fine' for what you're using it for - I doubt plusnet would cover the 'extra' features available - they provide it literally so you can use the service.
I wouldnt touch a netgear router personally. I think they're generally cheap and cheerful, but generally underpowered and flakey.

Edit #2: Quick google on the ports i used suggests L2TP implementation - the problems i had setting up (took me over an hour to realise  Roll_eyes )was all down to ports in the firewall not being open.
Roo2000

Thanks Matt,
I've got the 1732 added and I'll add the others just incase.
All firewalls are off (for test purpose only and to eliminate them).
matt_2k34
Grafter

Hmm, if its the windows firewall - im not 100% "turning it off" actually turns it off - might be better to add a temporary rule to windows firewall with it on (or off Smiley ) just to be sure Smiley
Report back on how you get on mate.
Regards
Roo2000

Ok an update after far too long trying to get my VPN working.
Thank you to everyone for their replies.
Thank you Matt for posting the ports, after adding all of them I was able to see my service with can you seeme.
From there I was able to have an argument or 2 with the server trying to get my client authenticated.
And as of 21.20 today I've won my battle and now have a working VPN accessible from my Android mobile.
Thanks once again,
A very happy Roo (Shame Mrs Roo isn't because I've spent so much time on the PC  Wink )
Can't believe it was Ports...............  Roll_eyes
Gerry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Was going to make some suggestions but you got it working while I was typing.
Well done you  Smiley
Gerry.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Excellent news -
Indeed, when i had this issue i was amazed at how few people have had the problem and given up - rather than sorted it ... the solution was very hard to find  Huh
Regards