Wednesday 23rd July 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1] 2

Cramp

• Mav
  • View Profile
« on 22/02/2012, 19:35 »
I suffer from cramp a fair bit at night particulary in the calf (that seems to be the most painful) but also in the feet and, sometimes, toes. There are times I get it in the fingers but not that frequent.

Today while out shopping I got cramp in both feet which was extremely painful and made walking difficult. I must have looked drunk as I shuffled behind SWMBO who seemed oblivious to my plight and told me to stop playing abut Shocked

Stretching the limb(s) involved often helps as well as a bit of massaging but occasionally the pain is so great I can barely move.

Does anyone else here suffer this badly and, if so, what relieves it the quickest?
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
  • dvorak
  • Forum Moderator
  • Meh.
  • View Profile
« Reply #1 on 22/02/2012, 19:37 »
not me, but one of my parents does and they found a cream which has worked well. I'll see if I can get the name of it for you.
Forum Moderator and Customer

PUG IRC - http://usertools.plus.net/irc/ - usertools.plus.net:6667, Channel #Usertools.
« Reply #2 on 22/02/2012, 19:39 »
From Wikipedia:

Nocturnal leg cramps

Nocturnal leg cramps are involuntary muscle contractions that occur in the calves, soles of the feet, or other muscles in the body during the night or (less commonly) while resting. The duration of nocturnal leg cramps is variable with cramps lasting anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes. Muscle soreness may remain after the cramp itself ends. These cramps are more common in older people.[5] They happen quite frequently in teenagers and in some people while exercising at night. The precise cause of these cramps is unclear. Potential contributing factors include dehydration, low levels of certain minerals (magnesium, potassium, calcium, and sodium), and reduced blood flow through muscles attendant in prolonged sitting or lying down. Nocturnal leg cramps (almost exclusively calf cramps) are considered 'normal' during the late stages of pregnancy.[citation needed] They can, however, vary in intensity from mild to extremely painful.

Various medications may cause nocturnal leg cramps:[6]

Diuretics, especially potassium sparing
    Long acting adrenergic beta-agonists (LABAs)
    Hydroxymethylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase inhibitors (statins)

Besides being painful, a nocturnal leg cramp can cause much distress and anxiety.[7]

Usually, putting some pressure on the affected leg by walking some distance will end the cramp.[
Wake Up and Smell the Coffee!
« Reply #3 on 22/02/2012, 19:41 »
@Mav, just found this as well:

Medication

Quinine is likely effective, however, due to side effects its use should only be considered if other treatments have failed and in light of these concerns.[16] Vitamin B complex, naftidrofuryl, lidocaine, and calcium channel blockers may be effective for muscle cramps.[16]

.......and another site here:

http://www.patient.co.uk/...lth/Cramps-in-the-Leg.htm

« Last Edit: 22/02/2012, 19:45 by artmo »

• Mav
  • View Profile
« Reply #4 on 22/02/2012, 19:45 »
Thanks dvorak. Is this cream to be used as a remedy or prevention?

I remember reading somewhere some years ago that a lack of salt can can make one more prone to getting cramp which, sort of, agrees with artmo's post.
Usually, putting some pressure on the affected leg by walking some distance will end the cramp.
Sometimes it's nigh on impossible as the pain is so bad. I have even woken SWMBO with a scream when it has been that bad Sad

Quinine - isn't that a poison?

from MedlinePlus
Quote from: MedlinePlus
Quinine should not be used to treat or prevent nighttime leg cramps. Quinine has not been shown to be effective for this purpose, and may cause serious or life-threatening side effects, including severe bleeding problems, kidney damage, irregular heartbeat, and severe allergic reactions.

Are you wanting me to leave these forums by any chance Cheesy Wink Grin

« Last Edit: 22/02/2012, 19:48 by Mav »

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
« Reply #5 on 22/02/2012, 19:51 »
Are you wanting me to leave these forums by any chance Cheesy Wink Grin

Ah, but I did give you some alternatives Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

As a matter of interest what has your GP said about it?
  • dvorak
  • Forum Moderator
  • Meh.
  • View Profile
« Reply #6 on 22/02/2012, 19:53 »
It's a remedy I believe
Forum Moderator and Customer

PUG IRC - http://usertools.plus.net/irc/ - usertools.plus.net:6667, Channel #Usertools.
  • Mav
  • View Profile
« Reply #7 on 22/02/2012, 19:55 »
@artmo I rarely see my GP and have not considered cramp to be worthy of a visit but perhaps a chat may be in order Smiley

I have suffered since I was very young and have just put up with it but today was the first time I got it in the feet while out and about. Usually it's in the top of the feet and one at a time but today it was in the soles.

@ dvorak Thanks.
« Reply #8 on 22/02/2012, 20:30 »
I was going to post a reply to say that Quinine is a part of the tonic , ..... as in Gin & Tonic.... however I found this relatively more explanatory, and it does mention that it is used to treat cramp....

http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/mom/quinine/quinine.htm

Edit.... after thought...

drink loads of G&T..... the Gin will deaden your feelings...... hopefully the Tonic, will cure the cramps... if not drink more Gin  ! !   Cheesy

I got paid by the government to go on cruises...... I Joined the Royal Navy .... when we had one.... !
my website ...http://www.nemosphotography.co.uk        my blogsite.....http://nemosphotography.blogspot.com/        my RedBubble site ...http://lumixfz28.redbubble.com/     also      
.... http://www.imagekind.com/...69-41e8-bee9-372ac6a99d6a .... .... and for our American Readers....  http://www.americanframe....ch.aspx?keyword=LumixFZ28
« Reply #9 on 22/02/2012, 21:39 »
Quinine as as the link says was used to treat/protect from Malaria.
Hence why the G&T was so popular with the British expats way out east in some colonial hell hole in days past.
« Reply #10 on 23/02/2012, 08:22 »
My late wife used to sufer quite seriously with nocturnal cramps until the doc prescribed quinine sulphate.
when she found that the cramps subsided quite considerably she continued to take the tablets for the last few years of her life.
At least it was the answer to one of her ailments and any relief was accepted with grace.
always  switch on  brain before opening  mouth !
« Reply #11 on 23/02/2012, 08:46 »
I have had spells of cramp in my legs on and off fr years - my GP gave me quinine but they made me ill so cannot take them.  So now I try to put up with it but believing that salt helps usually hav a packet of crisps in the evening!  Interesting the reference to potassium - must have a banana too!
  • Petlew
  • Damp squib
  • View Profile
« Reply #12 on 23/02/2012, 09:47 »
Indeed yes, I was advised ages ago when suffering from persistent leg cramps to eat banana's as the high potassium content was seen as a preventative. Make sure they're ripe though, under ripe bananas (excessively green at the stalk end) can give you stomach ache, let them get so the skin is all yellow and slightly spotted, but not squidgy.

Bananas, are also an excellent laxative, you have been warned.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most...
« Reply #13 on 23/02/2012, 09:58 »
If it a simple case of taking salt or potassium why do people have persistent cramp?

Believe it come down to the normal advice of having a balance diet and regular exercise. And I speak as someone that have suffered from bad night cramps and asked advice from a friend who was a dispensing chemist who said taking salt was not the answer.
  • nadger
  • Usergroup Member
  • View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on 23/02/2012, 10:36 »
Many years ago I used to suffer really bad leg cramps and was prescribed quinine sulphate. The cause actually was the blood pressure tablets I was talking and stopped when these were changed.

Early last year the cramps started again in right leg and my regular ct aortagram showed a restriction in artery feeding right leg. Had stent inserted in July and that cured cramps.

John
« Reply #15 on 23/02/2012, 10:49 »
Regular G&T?
Pages: [1] 2
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE