Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Google Home page has gone funny!

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

My Google Home page has gone funny!

Using Firefox, Windows Vista, Home Premium, all updated....
until this morning when I switched on.... and "Firefox is installling your updates and will start shortly"...
Google page appears covered in little square boxes with "TinyPics" logo and a message saying "this image has been removed or deleted"..
I had stylish and several other firefox add-ons installed, and there used to be a small tool  bar to change things at the bottom right corner... however that has also disappeared.
I do have IE installed, (who hasn`t apart from Linux owners  Roll_eyes )... and the Google page is just plain white, (normal)..
I can`t see anyway of removing the TinyPics logo squares.... so that I can use the Google search box properly, as everything searched seems to be covered in this TinyPics stuff unless I access it from my bookmarks....
21 REPLIES 21
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: My Google Home page has gone funny!

I have now got FF 10.02  and my google has a plain white background,
at the bottom left of the screen is a google link to change the back ground image, try that
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Pierre,.... that has certainly cleared the TinyPics logos..... but looks like I have lost all my Firefox addons....
very difficult to see anything behind those TinyPics logos, so without you pointing me in the right direction I would never have seen it...
Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I did not loose any of my add ons, wish I had, one I dont want its disable but no click to remove it.
Zone Alarm is not compatible, thats all
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Firefox 10.0.2 working fine here - no problems with my iGoogle home page.
shutter
Community Veteran

Been out all day. just come in. and boot up... got the same fault as reported originally...
#
have managed to re-install "stylish", and downloaded a "theme" for the Google page, but it does not "happen"... only get the top tool bar changed colour... still got "tinypics" logos all over screen and cannot even read the listings when I put into the search bar.
don`t want to lose firefox, so wonder what other search engine I can download, to replace google....
how can I revert to a previous version of Firefox? (don`t know which one is current...... Undecided on my "update" this morning )
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Something has been mucked up
With my "no black bars" in Stylish running the Google Header is black but with it disabled it has white text on black
Now doing some digging
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Using FF 10.0.2 and google .com and .co.uk working fine.
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
Something has been mucked up
With my "no black bars" in Stylish running the Google Header is black but with it disabled it has white text on black
Now doing some digging

Exactly my feelings... no bottom tool bar to show "progress" bar, and stylish addons...
just found out if I "sign in" on google, I then get the "tinypics" logos briefly, then the pic that I chose from PP`s suggestion appears... however the "progress bar" tool bar does not......
Also... just found out that if I type into the google search bar, for any web information, the pic I chose disappears, and the "tinypics" boxes come up again concealing any reply

pierre_pierre
Grafter

SWMBO uses a Win XP netbook, that auto updated to 10.02  this morning and guess what, it wont connect to the internet.
managed to get FF8 running from a down loaded setup, that ran OK and connected, but the B think auto updated again,
will have a play round again later and try and switch off auto update
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Fixed my black bar problem - changed the object code in stylish from gbx4 to gbx3
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, I wondered if doing an uninstall, and re-installing an earlier version might do what Petlew has got...
Have disabled "some" of my FF addons in Stylish, and now get the google page when I boot up or click on firefox...However .... still not getting the "stylish" etc taskbar... bottom right, nor am I getting a "progress bar" at the bottom.....
UPDATE.... just right clicked on the top toolbar, and found Add-on Bar, not checked.... now checked (ticked) and it appears below.... so  progress...... (of sorts) !  Roll_eyes
shutter
Community Veteran

seems it is "Google Subspace" theme, that is causing the "Tiny Pics" problem.... have disabled it and got the normal white background...
Now... Stylish is working , as I have my "puke green" colour background on Plusnet.... and I have used the "addons" under  TOOLS on top tool bar, to install another background for Google home page... so progress.... however,
although I have "Ghostrey" , "X Marks" , and "Reminder Fox" as normal on the (bottom) Add ons Taks bar.... I still do not have Stylish showing.......
The new Firefox has moved the Refresh Page icon to the right at the top, .... most annoying... and it looks as though I shall have to  use the TOOLS and Add-ons to change styles in Stylish...
why can`t they leave things that work .... alone... If it ain`t broke.... don`t fix it ....  Roll_eyes
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Oldjim
Fixed my black bar problem - changed the object code in stylish from gbx4 to gbx3

I'm not following this Jim.  Where do you see stylish to change from gbx4 to gbx3?
@shutter, when you say refresh do you mean the reload button as mine is on the left Undecided
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Tools, Addons, Extensions, Stylish Options
Of course if you haven't added Stylish you won't see it