Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Firmware for WNR1000v3

AndyHamp
Grafter

Current Firmware for WNR1000v3

All,
What's the current version of the Plusnet supplied router WNR1000v3 that people are running ?
I currently have V1.0.2.30 and i see that there is V1.0.2.42 available on the Netgear website here: http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19828/~/wnr1000v3-firmware-version-1.0.2.42
When i tried to upgrade it to the WorldWide version I got the following message:

Router Upgrade

Warning! You are trying to download the firmware which the region is different from the current firmware you had.
Do you still want to continue?
Current Firmware Version V1.0.2.30_53.0.66B1
Uploaded Version V1.0.2.42_55.0.77

Any thoughts ? Any one used this version ? Is there a different version i've missed ?
Thanks ... Andy
14 REPLIES 14
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Current Firmware for WNR1000v3

The exact version we send out can vary, we're checking and will let you know ASAP which one's staff members are using here.
If you're trying to upgrade the firmware you may hit some problems as I've been made aware that they're locked down to stop you from being able to do that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyHamp
Grafter

I'm pretty sure it's not locked in any way .... the only plus net config was on the wireless and that was all changed the moment i switched it on  Roll_eyes
I'm also pretty sure that i upgraded this once already.... but not 100% sure on that .... age if you know what i mean  Grin
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Bob has checked his router firmware version for me:
Firmware Version V1.0.2.30_53.0.66B1
GUI Language Version V1.0.2.30_2.1.10.1
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyHamp
Grafter

Thanks ... That's what mine is currently.
if anyone has updated, please let me know ...
Andy
grahamt
Rising Star

That's the same as mine. The router tells me when I login that there's no new version available.
There's another thread (in 'Broadband & Routers' I think) that deals with problems people have had with v1.0.2.42 - wireless connectivity problems. The 'different region' issue you mention may have something to do with that.
Anyway, if 1.0.2.30 is what Bob's running, I'm not going to worry about upgrading, especially as I've not had any problems with the router so far.
Graham
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm also sure Bob would have upgraded the firmware by now if he was experiencing issues with that.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyHamp
Grafter

I was only looking at updating for two reasons ...
1 - I'm having problems with IPv6 in my home network and 42 seems to have IPv6 changes in it, but this may not be my problem anyway.
2 - I like to keep FW software up to date as it's protecting my home network
What I don't want is the problems others are reporting with 42, so I think I'll stay with 30 for the moment.
Andy
david12344321
Dabbler

I wonder if someone can help me, i was having problems getting 150mbps (it would stick on 65mbps) on the wnr1000v3 on plusnet fttc.
i downgraded the firmware to WNR1000v3-V1.0.2.18_47.0.52.chk from the plusnet firmware. but it made no difference
But I now cant get back to the latest WNR1000v3-V1.0.2.28_52.0.60.chk firmware.
the router keeps saying 'firmware upgrade failed. please check your file'
i have tried :-
pressing reset button for 30 secs
pressing reset button then powering unit up and holding for 30 secs
every firmware available for the v3
using firefox with java disabled.
pressing wifi and wps buttons together with unit powerd off, and then powering on.
The auto check detects the new updated file on netgear website but produces an -1 unknown error
downloading firmware file by other means.
i also used a direct ethernet cable to router.
could someone post a link to new or older plusnet firmware please, the netgear link is down, maybe for the ipv6 problems reason
or could give me a clue how to get the router to accept new firmware.

cheers
sjmartin60
Dabbler

Did anybody have any problems updating their WNR1000v2 router from 1.1.2.28 to 1.1.2.50 and their GUI from 1.0.0.74 to 1.0.0.90?, Thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

What sort of issues did you have sjmartin60?
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
grahamt
Rising Star

I can't quite fathom the different versions of firmware for the WNR1000. For WNR1000v3 the Netgear support site is currently offering only firmware version 1.0.2.28 - or 1.0.2.4 for users outside North America. See http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/12591 (click 'Show all versions' for the 'outside North America' bit).
However, the version that came with Plusnet's router last August is 1.0.2.30. People above have clearly found other versions - but maybe these are for the v2?
Graham
mxs
Grafter

Plusnet issued wnr1000v3 routers initially came with stock firmware but they switched at some point (possibly on those issued after the FTTC trial ended?).  I would guess this is custom plusnet firmware which is just the stock + some config changes for the auto-setup code.  The 'plusnet' firmware has a custom 'region' code so if you try and flash the stock firmware over the plusnet one you will get the warning that it is not compatible (and vice versa).  Not sure whether there is any reason the stock firmware would not work if you ignore the warning or if there are any differences other than some config changes.
As far as the Netgear issued firmware goes the current version is V1.0.2.28 (if you click on it there are different links for US and non-US on the page).  There was a newer version available for a while (v1.0.2.42) but that was removed from the site a short time after it was released, probably due to the stability issues that have been reported.  When I last looked ages ago it was still available on their ftp site if you have a dig around. Wink
The v2 router is a totally different beast (in terms of both hardware and firmware) but to confuse things a bit more I think some were issued along with the v3 version during the FTTC trial - not sure on the firmware versions for those.
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks, mxs. That's all very clear. I wonder why the Plusnet firmware has a custom region code, though. The standard Netgear '28' version (Feb 12, if I remember correctly) is clearly newer than Plusnet's '30' (which is older than Aug 11, when I got my router from Plusnet). However, until I'm sure that there would be some value (and no harm) in upgrading, I'll stick with what I've got.
Graham
mxs
Grafter

Just to be clear I am not sure there is a different region code as such - it is just a guess at how a non-standard firmware could be 'protected' again upgrades to other firmware that was downloaded (same kind of error as if you try to upload firmware from a different region - there may be some other kind of mechanism in place for custom firmware though).   
It may well be that the Plusnet firmware is effectively the same as or newer than the standard Netgear release - I would not take the release/build date as a definite sign it is not (the updated firmware could have been internally available for some time before it was actually released).  It would be nice to get a definitive answer on that though especially if anyone is experiencing issues that they may think are fixed in the standard firmware.