cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Modem Change

gwillym
Grafter

Re: FTTC Modem Change

Saw the letter when I go thome on Thursday evening, got an appointment fro Friday. all done and dusted by 1pm. No new PSU.
Good news is that my FTTC now seems to be much faster - was averaging around 16 before swapout - now more like 27 - happy days
ffox
Pro

Had mine changed by an Openreach engineer today.  No PSU in the box, but when I asked for a replacement he got a spare from the van.  Until I mentioned it, he hadn't noticed that the new modem power rating is more than the old PSU can supply.  He will inform his mates.
mikeyriot
Grafter

After waiting nearly a week for my details to work on the website I gave up and rang them. Two minutes later and I now have an engineer booked for tomorrow evening  Smiley
scfnet
Dabbler

I had the letter last week and got an appointment on Sunday. There was a delay due to a mix up in which engineer got which appointments but he did call to apologize.
That was the good news, I moved the modem tonight and it shutdown - no LEDs anywhere. Took the cable out and gave it 5 mins but it will still not power up. The did not replace my PSU either and it is rated a lot lower than the modem. Despite no LEDs lit the modem is warm so there is power getting through somewhere.
Unfortunately Plusnet could not arrange even get a fault notice pushed through for action until tomorrow and I need the connection back as we both work from home some days during the week and tomorrow is one of them! Called Kelly and after a bit of persuasion I have an appointment for tomorrow so fingers crossed.
I think this not changing to PSU really needs bringing to BT / Kelly's attention as I can see it causing more issues in the near future.
Alastair
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Alastair,
Sorry to hear you're having difficulty since the change. I'll certainly flag this up to the appropriate people. Let us know how you get on tomorrow.
Jojo Smiley
The_10th
Grafter

Kelly engineer replaced modem (3B version) and had PSU replaced also (well, technically I replaced all the equipment and he watched  ;)). I see the old modem has a 700mA rating and so does its PSU. The new modem has a 1.0A rating and its PSU also so would need changing. He wasn't aware of the rating being different too like others have mentioned. Speed took a few mins to reach its norm.
So far so good.  Smiley
mikeyriot
Grafter

I had mine changed yesterday but the engineer refused to change the PSU, saying it wasn't necessary, and reckoned he didn't have one anyway  Angry
scfnet
Dabbler

The modem was replaced this morning and all is working OK now.
The engineer was a BT one this time rather than Kelly but he did not have any power supplies with him. He said he had a load back at base and would drop one off tomorrow morning, hopefully it will be a white one with the correct rating.
Reading other forums there are so many different stories coming from the engineers about whether PSU needs changing or not, it is hard to know what is the true story regarding them if there even is one.
Alastair
timw2000
Dabbler

I had mine replaced on Monday, no PSU swap just the modem.
Interestingly I've been having many broadband issues since the swap, with loss of internet about 10 times since then. Speed seems the same.
Also my Vodafone sure signal has stopped allowing outgoing calls since the swap?Huh
Can we expect a new 10 day training period with the new modem? Is that the heart of my issues or could is be the PSU?
Regarding the PSU, for those of use without a replacement, how does this get fixed?Huh
The_10th
Grafter

The current rating of the equipment will dictate the power supply requirements and this needs to be addressed to prevent future headaches. The Kelly engineer had a brown box that included both a modem and PSU adapter so wasn't anything that had to be accounted for in my case.
@timw2000 - A 10 day training period not required - usually a few mins to reach normal speed. The engineer that attended did say some post replacement problems needed to be sorted so suspect you may be one of those unfortunately.  Sad
If you haven't already take a look here re Vodafone sure troubleshooting: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Troubleshooting-Please-read-before-posting/td-p/...
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

OK, we've spoken to our contacts in Openreach and the new modem had been CE tested and approved with the original power supplies.
The PSU is compatible and safe with the new modem and there isn't anything to worry about if you don't get a new PSU along with the modem.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing to worry about ?
Quote from: The
I see the old modem has a 700mA rating and so does its PSU. The new modem has a 1.0A rating and its PSU also so would need changing.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The original PSU and new modem have been CE certified together.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.