cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ex Directory-Number withheld

TheIslander
Grafter

Re: Ex Directory-Number withheld

Just to let some know if you do have permanent number withhold. If you dial 1470 before the phone number you call. The caller display on the other end will show your number for that call only.
BRABUS
Grafter

Just a slight correction to the info above about 1470.
There are 2 options for with holding your number.

• Number permanently with held

• Number with held with the option of the 1470 override for that call

I wasn't aware of these 2 options before my fun and games so I thought I would let people know.
dp2010
Grafter

Hi James
At the start of this topic I wrote A majority of ex-directory customers withhold their number to maintain their privacy,
This information came from a BT web site.

I have no idea how many people that are ex directory choose to with hold there number.
We see on this topic two that have chosen their respective ways for different reasons. One is happy to show his number the other does not.
Privacy and security come to mind and a customer needs to be given a choice.
But if the customer is not aware of the choice in the first place they are then limited and restricted.
You state that most people who want to be ex-directory have no interest in getting their number withheld is this because they choose too or are not aware of it.
It is important to give PN customers choice and make them aware of what is available.
emgee

I had exactly the same experience an hour ago - despite me making it clear that it was a deal-breaker, the customer options adviser assured me that Plusnet cannot permanently withhold an ex-directory number. (He even went off to check.)  I then did a quick Google search which led me to this thread.  Could someone tell me who to ask for when I phone in again, because I would like to switch?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi emgee,
It's not something we offer as any sort of call feature, but it can be added. For that reason I can see that it's not something everyone knows about. If you get through to someone who is unsure again, you can ask them to contact me for clarification.
Jojo Smiley
emgee

Many thanks -  I'll phone in and see how it goes.
dp2010
Grafter

Jo Jo
Are you saying that not every one in PN knows of its existance.
emgee

Jo Jo
All sorted out - many thanks.  It's not what you know, it's who you know, but I think that we have identified a training opportunity here!
dp2010
Grafter

emgee
Its good that you have been sorted.
I guess privacy is important to you.
As Ex Directory may i also suggest  that you check on internet at the following sites BT, 118, & 192 to make sure you are not listed.
emgee

dp2010
Thanks for the advice.  I've been ex-directory for a long time and am not on any of those sites.  I'm also listed with the Telephone Preference Service and the Fax Preference Service.  Nothing sinister - I just don't like junk calls.  The problem is random diallers which are not actually a breach of any regulations (I've checked with Ofcom), but they are usually very easy to get rid of.