cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Technicolor TG582n Routers and Port Forwarding ...

kaspencer
Rising Star

New Technicolor TG582n Routers and Port Forwarding ...

In anticipation of my move to fibre-optic broadband, I have been supplied with a new Technicolor TG582n router. However, it seems to use a rather unnecessarily involved method of setting up Port Forwarding compared to the many other routers I have used over about 12 years. And there seems to be another problem:
When I set up a simple port forwarding of Port 80 to one of my PCs on the network, and then when I direct my browser to the domain which I use with that server, I end up with the router's login screen - this is not what I want! I want the router to receive the incoming request and forward it to the assigned server on my LAN. This appearance of the login screen doesn't happen this way with my Belkin, which does a proper "Hairpin" route back to my server and all is well.
So is it that the Technicolor TG582n router doesn't do "hairpins"? Or is it a problem with my Port Forwarding setup?
(By the way, my reference to the "Hairpin" is simply that the router can send a URL request out to the Internet, get a route and come back into my network with no problem. Not all routers do this but Belkins do, and so Cable and Wireless. Others too).
Thanks in anticipation.
Ken
9 REPLIES 9
Not applicable

Re: New Technicolor TG582n Routers and Port Forwarding ...

Hi,
If you are being moved over to Fibre, I am unsure as to why you have been supplied with a Technicolor Router. Are you in the process of being moved over to Fibre? If this is the case, you may have been sent the wrong router by mistake as the Fibre Routers are Netgear Routers. Could you please confirm?
kaspencer
Rising Star

Thankyou for the comment, Chris ...
Yes indeed, I am being moved to fibre optic BB on Tuesday 22nd November during the afternoon. Our fibre in the village is FTTC so it is still copper into the house. It is the PlusNet 40megabit service. I know that the shiny new FO new cabinet exists about half a mile down the road.
If necessary could you check that the router is correct? If I have the incorrect router, I'll need a replacement pronto!
I'd hate to have the experience of one of my long-term sign-ups to Plus, who was told that he was FO enabled, had his ADSL service terminated, his router delivered, only to be told that his FO connection would n't be live until two weeks later!
Regarding the original post about "Hairpin routing and Port forwarding" - HTTP via port 80 now works fine, BUT I have another HTTP service using port 83, and have set up a new so-called "game/application" for port 83, but I cannot get that service to work with port fowarding. Any advice gratefully received.
All the best!
Ken
Not applicable

Hi,
Yeah that is definitely not the correct router. Jojo should pick up on this for you on Monday. (Just sent her a message for you regarding the problem) Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
A fibre router was ordered for you on the 18th, should be with you tomorrow if it's not already.
Regarding the port forwarding, has the box you'll be forwarding the traffic on port 83 been given a static IP? If so I believe you should be able to choose it when assigning the new service you've created.
kaspencer
Rising Star

Thankyou for the response, Matt. The news is:
1. Router arrived safely (but no bag for returning the old one, so I still have it waiting);
2. BT engineer arrived on time and did the job efficiently;
3. New Netgear router does Port Forwading correctly and is working as I'd expect, including the "hairpin" behaviour.
May I take the liberty of asking a further question?
How exactly do we see the upstream  and downstream speed in the Netgear router status?
Thanks again,
Kenneth Spencer
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi kaspencer,
The router won't report stats as it's only a router, it's the modem that you'd have to get them off but not sure how to do that. I'm sure some clever clogs on here will have a way though!
Jojo Smiley
kaspencer
Rising Star

Thankyou Joanne, for the comment.
I should have known the answer! Yes I realise that you have to connect a PC (or network switch) to the Ethernet port of the BT MODEM to see the raw FTTC speed. You have a library document on how to do it - it is a bit like configuring a VPN connection. The doc is here:
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
(But I still need a bag to return the original incorrect Technicolor ADSL MODEM-router.)
All the best
Kenneth Spencer
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi kaspencer,
I've requested a returns bag for you now.
Jojo Smiley
Not applicable

Glad to hear you got the router issues resolved Smiley