cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router resets evrytime I try to use it

basosergiou

Router resets evrytime I try to use it

Almost always whenever I try to use my internet connection through wireless in Linux, my router resets itself.  But if I use it through Windows it is OK. Through the Lan port it is ok.
What the hell is going on. This is the second router now. The first one had the same problem. I re-flashed the firmware, reset it via the pin-hole at the back, no changes.
Any help please. I am running out of patience. I'd rather not go and spend the money on an other router, when it works well those rare times it has not reset itself (I am writing this in Windows).
The router log states a warm restart has occurred.
Vas.
18 REPLIES 18
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Router resets evrytime I try to use it

What make/model of router?
Latest firmware? I know you've re-flashed, but is there a later version somewhere?
basosergiou

Here are some stats from the router
Product Name: TG585 v8
Software Release: 8.2.7.8
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 23,467 / 19,196
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 17,386
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 38.77 / 1.15
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 16.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 1.5 / 1.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 32.5 / 15.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 5,856 / 1,060
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 53,920 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 6,826 / 0
I notice there are a lot of Errors (FEC, CRC and HEC). Is the amount normal?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

I think that is the latest firmware for the Thomson. If those attenuation figures are correct, you are on a very short line, and can probably reach out of your window and touch the telephone exchange.  Smiley
What about the driver for your wireless adapter - is it up-to-date?
One other thing - ask to get your upstream uncapped. Your connection should easily do over 1mb up without impacting on your downstream speed.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem is Linux, not router(s)
mliversidge
Dabbler

I'm not Linux savvy so can't offer much guidance but I've had similar issues with these routers on Windows and it was related to the link layer topology discovery and responder protocols, could you confirm if disabling these helps the situation at all, that is if the protocol is installed?
basosergiou

Quote from: Jaggies
If those attenuation figures are correct, you are on a very short line, and can probably reach out of your window and touch the telephone exchange.  Smiley

The exchange is just across the road from me (lucky me) as there is a non de-script BT building there (just confirmed using http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search)
Quote from: PlusComUK
Problem is Linux, not router(s)

That is not particularly helpful. If you can contribute to this then please do otherwise don't bother. If you have some insight as to what to look at then please pass it on. I am using openSuse 11.4, 64-bit.
Quote from: Martin
I'm not Linux savvy so can't offer much guidance but I've had similar issues with these routers on Windows and it was related to the link layer topology discovery and responder protocols, could you confirm if disabling these helps the situation at all, that is if the protocol is installed?

If you can let me know what commands I need to use to get this info, no problem.
Vas
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi basosergiou,
Issues with windows users that have had this problem have been resolved by disabling the wireless n capability on the computer. I'm not sure how you would do this on Linux though.
Jojo Smiley
basosergiou

Ok, I'll have a check tonight when I get back home. My laptop does have a wireless n capabilities (Lenovo T400). If this is a problem that both Windows and Linux systems suffer from then will the router get a firmware fix for it?
dick:quote
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If the laptop uses Intel wireless, 11n can be disabled using the 11n_disable parameter for the iwlagn kernel module. To set that, you need to edit or create the text file /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf and add a line "options iwlagn 11n_disable=1"
The change won't take effect until you unload then reload the iwlagn module, or just reboot the computer.
basosergiou

Thanks for the info about iwglan. Bizarrely the router has not reset itself. I haven't changed anything. Not sure why it is working well now (perhaps it new its time was running out).
Next time it starts to play up I will try your suggestion.
Quote from: Jaggies
One other thing - ask to get your upstream uncapped.

Jaggies, being a newb to this, would uncapping the upload make things faster/better?
Guys, thanks for all of your help.
Vas
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Yes. There should be no impact on your downstream connection rate when running the upstream uncapped, despite it being PlusNet's policy to provide ADSL2+ on capped upstream initially. They will uncap it on request, so you should raise a ticket asking to have it uncapped, unless the DCT guys pick it up on this thread.
basosergiou

Well it happened again the other day, the router reset itself. So I tried the suggestion of disabling Wireless-N by adding the option "iwlagn 11n_disable=1" to /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf , and so far it is working well.
Smiley
Nice one ejs and Joanne, thanks again.
Plusnet guys, will there be a fix to the firmware of the router to solve this problem? Or even supply a different router now.
There has obviously been problems in the past with this, hence the suggested fix, and I noticed that someone else has posted, what looks like, the same problem I had but with Win 7.
Vas.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI basosergiou,
We have had a firmware update from Thomson but it didn't work when tested. I'm sure sure where they are in getting another one together, I'll ask our hardware team.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just found out that we're supposed to be getting an update about this later today Smiley