cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to Plus.net from Sky

fromtheblock
Grafter

Moved to Plus.net from Sky

My broadband and phone was moved from Sky last week and I have to say it`s not been a good start. My Sky broadband was perfect and unlimited but I decided to move and save money.
The first couple of days with Plusnet was fine, but over the past few days, I'm getting lots of pages that simply wont load and messages like this:
"The server at community.plus.net can't be found because the DNS look-up failed."
I've been in the router and when I click 'Connectivity Check', everything lights up green bar the last two on the list which are DNS servers. It says "Connectivity to DNS Server 1 (212.159.6.10)
Connectivity to DNS Server 2 (212.159.6.9)", both have red crosses next to them.
I rang Plusnet yesterday and the lad I spoke to said there was no fault showing at their end and that I should keep and eye on it and ring back if it does not improve.
Does anyone know what is casing this before I get back on the phone. Really not happy as I work from home and it`s making things very difficult.
51 REPLIES 51
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Moved to Plus.net from Sky

Welcome to Plusnet - it sounds a bit odd
I assume that you are using the Thompson router as that is a known reporting error
Can I suggest a couple of things
First - is to set the DNS servers on your computer to 212.159.13.50 as primary and 8.8.8.8 as secondary (the first is Plusnet and the second is Google)
If that doesn't fix it change the DNS servers on the router to those as well - this tells you how http://community.plus.net/library/dns/how-to-change-the-default-dns-servers-in-a-thomson-speedtouch-...
You should also try this command from a Command Prompt    ipconfig /all that will tell you which DNS servers are being used by the computer (note the space between ipconfig and /all)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We're seeing a few disconnections on  your line which could be causing you some problems. I'd suggest plugging the modem/router into the master socket (or test socket if available) and leaving it there to see if the stability and performance improves. If you're still getting problems then you can raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net and our team will  investigate the problems.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
fromtheblock
Grafter

Is there any service guarantee or way I can cancel and go back to Sky? The service is absolutely horrendous! I can't believe I switched for the sake of £5 and am now left with a service that works when it wants too. I had no problems with my line or connection with Sky, so I cant understand why your telling me I have a fault. It was working perfectly before you took over the line. I really just want to leave.
The lad I spoke to last night said wait a few days and see if it gets any better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WORK FROM HOME! I don`t have time to wait.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As per my previous reply, we'd really need you to raise a fault and follow the troubleshooting steps on there. Without doing this we can't help to resolve the problem.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
fromtheblock
Grafter

So why have I not been told to do this on the past 3 calls? Everyday that goes by, is another day where I cannot fully get my work done.
fromtheblock
Grafter

Shocked
Ok I've just plugged in an old Netgear DG834G router which is about 5 years old and everything seems to be working and more importantly, pages are loading fast and showing all images. So I can only assume it's your dodgy Thomson router that was causing the problem. I really don't know why you keep sending out these crap routers. I had a Thomson router years ago when I was on O2 and I remember having to change that for a Netgear.
I'll keep an eye on it, to see if it remains stable, but on a side note, new customers should not be having to jump through these kind of hoops to get a service working. It's up to you to provide decent hardware for the customer.
mikeyriot
Grafter

To be fair to plusnet (although I dont anymore) I've used thomson routers for years and they've all been rock solid. Sometimes you just get a dodgey router, as with all brands, and sometimes its not even that, sometimes its just the chip in your router isnt fully compatable with the ones at the exchange.
fromtheblock
Grafter

Well I've only ever had two, this one and the one O2 sent me and both have been faulty. What are the chances. I've had two Netgear. One my own which I am now using and one from Sky which was excellent.
I told Plus.net days ago that the router was lit up red in the settings under DNS. There is no manual way to change this in the router. I changed it on the PC but no way to change it in the router. Funny that as soon as I installed my own Netgear and changed the DNS it all started working. I don't know why a member of Plus.net couldn't have done that days ago.
The lad I spoke to yesterday said that if it didn't correct itself (as if it will do that by itself) then they would pass it to specials or something for them to try and change the DNS in the router. As if I am going to wait days for something that could be done instantly.
I'm sorry to moan but I think it's a poor start for my experience with Plusnet.
jim:quote
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

My Thomson worked first time straight out of the box  Cool
I think we should remember also that we on the forum are the vocal minority and probably 99% or more of customers never have a problem with their Thomson router. Its in the nature of any electronic product, the manufacturers work on MTBFs and percentage failures.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
mikeyriot
Grafter

Well I've only ever had two, this one and the one O2 sent me and both have been faulty. What are the chances.

that is pretty unlucky!
The lad I spoke to yesterday said that if it didn't correct itself (as if it will do that by itself) then they would pass it to specials or something for them to try and change the DNS in the router. As if I am going to wait days for something that could be done instantly.

I have to agree there, that is something (i believe) plusnet can do over the line from there end assuming the function is turned on in the router. Its a shame it took three calls and your own suggestion to fix it. Plusnet are excellent with there customer services online as shown by their excellent and trained staff here ( adam, jojo, matt...and so on Wink ) but having never rang customer support my self (instead preferring to come here) and hearing the odd cases of CS getting it wrong or not being as knowledgeable, I dont know if the same came be said for the phone support.
My advice, in future, raise a ticket and post on the forums as the guys here (staff, mods and customers) know what they're talking about.
Mike out
fromtheblock
Grafter

Well I`m back again! After plugging in my own router last Thursday, I`ve had a perfect service until today! I've had to reboot around 3 to 4 times and the speed has gone from over 6Mbps to this:

I`m seriously getting miffed off with this company. I never had a problem with my last ISP and only moved because I was being a tight wad to save £5! If it carries on, I`m just going to stop the Direct Debit and use my mobile broadband.
See attached picture of what I am getting all day.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it could have been this
Broadband Connectivity (69041) - UPDATE
Broadband
Posted on: Monday 7 November 2011, 15:27
This has now been confirmed as a global routing issue affecting ISPs across the world. It seems to have been caused by a number of core routers erroring.
We're continuing to investigate and chase and will update this post as soon as any more information becomes available.
Kind Regards,
Matt Taylor
Customer Support
fromtheblock
Grafter

@pierre_pierre
I`ve been on service status and it`s showing as resolved and everything working fine.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's because it got fixed later -
Service: Broadband
Posted: Mon, Nov 07 2011 at 16:31:12
Subject: Broadband Connectivity (69041) - RESOLVED
This is an update to the previous post regarding a global routing issue.
This issue is now resolved and all sites are working as normal.
Kind Regards,
Matt Taylor
Customer Support

You might want to look at this thread - dodgy routing to USA atm
that was reporting the problem BEFORE it was officially announced - as shown in pierre_pierre 's reply.